• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

My cat isn't drinking his water

LaurenM

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello!

I switched my cat over to almost entirely wet food in the last 2 months (a couple days had dry food because I ran out and couldn't get to the store).

He's eating 1-2 cans a day, but he's not drinking any water. Like the water level doesn't move throughout the day. But his fur doesn't "stick" like a dehydrated cat's would, so I'm confused.

Energy level's the same. Mood's mostly the same. He talks a lot more lately. He's jumpy, too; has been that way for a while. That seems a bit more lately, too, though.

We went from using a filtered water fountain for him to regular fridge water in a bowl so I could track how much he was actually drinking.

Any idea what might be going on and anything I can give him to help turn things around? Thanks!

Edit: He also tries to eat all of my food now, too, which he's never done.

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hello Lauren-

Great work with upgrading from dry to wet food.

That is wonderful that your kitty isn't drinking as he usually did. Not drinking is a sign of good balance in cats (as long as they're eating wet or fresh food).

It's a great idea for you to learn the other common but abnormal symptoms which are early warning signs of imbalance:

Any idea what might be going on and anything I can give him to help turn things around? Thanks!

Yes! Add some fresh food into his canned food and slowly transition him to a raw frozen food like Small Batch (or whatever is locally available).

LaurenM

All-Access Member
Registered
Wow! Your response and that article are both certainly enlightening!!! I feel much better. I will absolutely continue transitioning him to raw foods and will look into Small Batch. Thanks for the encouragement!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom