• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

My cat Darwin's story about chronic pancreatitis, kidney and heart disease

VeroniqueM

VIP Member
Registered
It is my hope, through my cat Darwin's story, that this post can illustrate how homeopathy can be helpful right until the end of life under the guidance of a veterinary homeopath.

Darwin was lucky enough to become the patient of Dr Jeff Feinman back in October 2020 because he had chronic pancreatitis issues and I also suspected a low grade renal disease. He was 14 years old at that point, was clearly lacking energy and looked like he was aging fast. As I was a veterinarian practicing only conventional veterinary medicine at the time, Darwin had received multiple vaccines in his past and was mostly on a dry pellet veterinary grade diet which he did not seem much interested in eating anymore. Eventually, my interest for homeopathy brought me to enroll in a complete homeopathy course (a human course :)) and as I'm progressing into the course it became a passion which is what brought me to Holistic actions as I also wish to learn the veterinary side of homeopathy.

Following Dr Feinman's first appointment and advice, Darwin started his first remedy Mercurius vivus and I changed his diet: I started to cook meats for him (I tried the raw diet several times, but he showed very little interest in it) and added vitamin and probiotic supplements to his diet. He gained back so much energy and there was such an improvement in his mental state! As his pancreatic disease improved greatly, his renal disease surfaced more prominently and a change of remedy eventually helped his body control his renal disease as well along with the administration of daily subcutaneous fluids. I will spare many details of his case because the post would be too long, but by the summer of 2021 and after several follow-up appointments he was on Lycopodium and was acting like his younger self again, enjoying the outdoor cottage life exploring and discovering new hobbies, displaying younger behaviors very characteristic of him that I had not seen in years, and his pancreatic and renal diseases seemed under control. I still brought him to a referral center for an abdominal ultrasound at that point and found out that he had multiple masses in his liver. Although the masses were thought to be benign, there were so many of them that he was considered inoperable, and really I don't think I would have wanted him to go through a surgery at that age either.

In the fall, he travelled with us during a 25 day trip in our motorized home from northern Ontario all the way to the Pacific ocean to Tofino British-Columbia and he absolutely loved to travel. In December 2021, he was vomiting blood and becoming anemic, his hematocrit was down to 21%. With Dr Feinman's recommendation to change his remedy to Calcarea carbonica, his body amazingly went from a non-regenerative anemia in December to a highly regenerative anemia later on in January and his hematocrit came back to low normal. He completely stopped vomiting blood. He had also received an injection of darbepoetin and of iron earlier in January at a referral center to help speed the process of red blood cell production.

In March last month, it became obvious that his liver masses were progressing as he developed ascites and his energy went down. The progression and enlargement of the liver masses were later confirmed on another abdominal ultrasound although the liver enzymes remained normal almost until the end. In the last 3 days before he passed away, he was on Arsenicum album and his mental state really improved while on that remedy as he was purring much more frequently and he seemed much more relaxed. Also, his body gained more energy and instead of ascending and descending the stairs slowly one stair at a time he was almost running up and down the stairs without falling. I knew he passed the point of no return when his hematocrit plummeted down to 15% without vomiting blood about 2 days before he passed. I suspect one of his liver cysts might have ruptured and some internal bleeding might have been occurring. Surprisingly, his quality of life remained quite good until a few hours before the end: he was still eating and using his litter box until the evening of March 15th. Although his state was obviously deteriorating, he seemed weak but did not seem to be in a lot of pain and his mental state remained fairly good considering what was going on. But somehow I had the feeling that he was ready to go. A blood transfusion might have been indicated for him, but I felt he had had enough. I did not want to put him through any procedure seemingly invasive at that point and I felt that the stress of a blood transfusion in a hospital setting would have been too much for him and it would have hardly been palliative considering the progression of his liver masses and the risk of more hemorrhage to come.

At 16 years old, on the night between March 15th and 16th, when he felt it was time for him to go, he let out a howling meow and was turning his head from side to side like he was searching for me. Of course I was not far and I stayed up with him as I felt his condition was deteriorating. As soon as I got closer to him he grabbed my hands with his front paws, dragged himself towards me and meowed as if to show his appreciation that I was right there with him, making it obvious that he wanted me to stay with him. Then he rested his head into my hand and peacefully passed away... As sad as I was, I really felt privileged that he wanted to spend his last moments with me.

I am so thankful for all the work Dr Feinman has done with my dear Darwin, all the care and time he spent helping him and teaching me about veterinary homeopathy. And of course I'm also extremely thankful for all the healing his body was able to do with the help of homeopathy until his liver masses progressed to the point where he was no longer able to heal. I think homeopathy greatly improved his quality of life and until the end, I'm convinced that homeopathy played a major role in helping him pass away peacefully.

This forum has been very helpful to Darwin and I in the last 1 1/2 year as I periodically had some questions that needed to be addressed in between our follow-up appointments, so I'm also thanking Dr Feinman and all the team of Holistic Actions for this great service being offered to its members!

Very gratefully,

Véronique

Below are a few pictures of Darwin as he was travelling with us :)
IMG_5529 (1).jpgIMG_6735.jpgDSC06494.JPGDSC06276.JPG

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, thanks so much for sharing Darwin's beautiful story Dr. Veronique!

He had a wonderful life, thanks to his natural vitality and your love and super care.?♥️?

VeroniqueM

VIP Member
Registered
Actually, there are 2 details I could add to Darwin’s story:

In April 2021 he developed a heart issue, a mild hypertrophic cardiomyopathy that was later diagnosed on a cardiac ultrasound. His body was able to control the heart issue with the help of homeopathy and his pro-BNP blood test eventually came back down to normal.

Also, on his last day, although I decided not to opt for a blood transfusion, I did give him an injection of darbepoetin and of iron like he had previously in January. I was hoping for a little miracle, that maybe in conjunction with the remedy Arsenicum album it would help increase his red blood cells that were so critically low. These injections were minimally invasive and as a veterinarian, I was able to give them to him at home. I was not very surprised that they did not help, but the little miracle occurred in the way he passed away as what he did touched me deeply and really helped me in my grief...

Thanks again Dr Jeff!

Veronique

Last edited:

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Thank you so much for sharing this story.

This is a great example of how much an individual can heal even when there is major pathology (tissue changes).

I wonder how many members have read this.

Maybe we need a separate thread with success stories.

Dr. Christina

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Veronique, what a lovely story. Thank you for sharing Darwin's Homepathy journey with us. What an amazing cat and you have been such a great cat mom!

I too studied Homeopathy (for humans) but changed my focus to treating mainly cats and dogs. I still consider myself a student of Homeopathy for the path to learning never ends. Over the past 4-5 years, I have been treating my pets (4 dogs and 16 cats) with Homeopathic remedies. There are many nay-sayers of Homeopathy and many who consider this method of healing to be bogus but I remain certain Homeopathy works and is not simply a placebo.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Lovely, and very similar to the decline and passing of my first dog, also under Dr. Jeff's care for the last years of his life. We used to joke that he stuck around only because he had one more thing, and then another, and another, he wanted to show, to teach, me. And he told us when to give up, too, cheerfully going to the clinic to see all his friends.
So I learned a great deal from him, including homeopathic theory and practice. Thanks to my first love, Tomo, and to all the others I have been privileged to help, and to Dr. Jeff for his guidance.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Ah, I have found memories of meeting Tomo (and you) at the airport!

Thanks for reminding me of this Ginny and for your kind words,♥️?

VeroniqueM

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you so much for sharing this story.

This is a great example of how much an individual can heal even when there is major pathology (tissue changes).

I wonder how many members have read this.

Maybe we need a separate thread with success stories.

Dr. Christina
Thank you for your kind words Dr Christina.
Indeed, I was amazed to see how homeopathy helped his body beautifully accomplish great healing under the guidance of Dr Jeff and I have all his multiple blood works showing the progressive amelioration of his kidney, pancreatic and heart diseases. His liver masses were causing too much structural damage and likely ended up being the cause of his death, but his quality of life was so good while using homeopathy!

Thanks again,

Véronique

VeroniqueM

VIP Member
Registered
Veronique, what a lovely story. Thank you for sharing Darwin's Homepathy journey with us. What an amazing cat and you have been such a great cat mom!

I too studied Homeopathy (for humans) but changed my focus to treating mainly cats and dogs. I still consider myself a student of Homeopathy for the path to learning never ends. Over the past 4-5 years, I have been treating my pets (4 dogs and 16 cats) with Homeopathic remedies. There are many nay-sayers of Homeopathy and many who consider this method of healing to be bogus but I remain certain Homeopathy works and is not simply a placebo.
I definitely agree that with a remedy close to the simillimum or maybe even the simillimum itself, a patient can accomplish great healing with homeopathy. And absolutely, the path to learning homeopathy never ends which makes it so fascinating but also challenging to study :)
Véronique

VeroniqueM

VIP Member
Registered
Lovely, and very similar to the decline and passing of my first dog, also under Dr. Jeff's care for the last years of his life. We used to joke that he stuck around only because he had one more thing, and then another, and another, he wanted to show, to teach, me. And he told us when to give up, too, cheerfully going to the clinic to see all his friends.
So I learned a great deal from him, including homeopathic theory and practice. Thanks to my first love, Tomo, and to all the others I have been privileged to help, and to Dr. Jeff for his guidance.
Absolutely, I feel the same way: they have so much to teach us :)
Véronique

LilF

Community Member
Registered
It is my hope, through my cat Darwin's story, that this post can illustrate how homeopathy can be helpful right until the end of life under the guidance of a veterinary homeopath.

Darwin was lucky enough to become the patient of Dr Jeff Feinman back in October 2020 because he had chronic pancreatitis issues and I also suspected a low grade renal disease. He was 14 years old at that point, was clearly lacking energy and looked like he was aging fast. As I was a veterinarian practicing only conventional veterinary medicine at the time, Darwin had received multiple vaccines in his past and was mostly on a dry pellet veterinary grade diet which he did not seem much interested in eating anymore. Eventually, my interest for homeopathy brought me to enroll in a complete homeopathy course (a human course :)) and as I'm progressing into the course it became a passion which is what brought me to Holistic actions as I also wish to learn the veterinary side of homeopathy.

Following Dr Feinman's first appointment and advice, Darwin started his first remedy Mercurius vivus and I changed his diet: I started to cook meats for him (I tried the raw diet several times, but he showed very little interest in it) and added vitamin and probiotic supplements to his diet. He gained back so much energy and there was such an improvement in his mental state! As his pancreatic disease improved greatly, his renal disease surfaced more prominently and a change of remedy eventually helped his body control his renal disease as well along with the administration of daily subcutaneous fluids. I will spare many details of his case because the post would be too long, but by the summer of 2021 and after several follow-up appointments he was on Lycopodium and was acting like his younger self again, enjoying the outdoor cottage life exploring and discovering new hobbies, displaying younger behaviors very characteristic of him that I had not seen in years, and his pancreatic and renal diseases seemed under control. I still brought him to a referral center for an abdominal ultrasound at that point and found out that he had multiple masses in his liver. Although the masses were thought to be benign, there were so many of them that he was considered inoperable, and really I don't think I would have wanted him to go through a surgery at that age either.

In the fall, he travelled with us during a 25 day trip in our motorized home from northern Ontario all the way to the Pacific ocean to Tofino British-Columbia and he absolutely loved to travel. In December 2021, he was vomiting blood and becoming anemic, his hematocrit was down to 21%. With Dr Feinman's recommendation to change his remedy to Calcarea carbonica, his body amazingly went from a non-regenerative anemia in December to a highly regenerative anemia later on in January and his hematocrit came back to low normal. He completely stopped vomiting blood. He had also received an injection of darbepoetin and of iron earlier in January at a referral center to help speed the process of red blood cell production.

In March last month, it became obvious that his liver masses were progressing as he developed ascites and his energy went down. The progression and enlargement of the liver masses were later confirmed on another abdominal ultrasound although the liver enzymes remained normal almost until the end. In the last 3 days before he passed away, he was on Arsenicum album and his mental state really improved while on that remedy as he was purring much more frequently and he seemed much more relaxed. Also, his body gained more energy and instead of ascending and descending the stairs slowly one stair at a time he was almost running up and down the stairs without falling. I knew he passed the point of no return when his hematocrit plummeted down to 15% without vomiting blood about 2 days before he passed. I suspect one of his liver cysts might have ruptured and some internal bleeding might have been occurring. Surprisingly, his quality of life remained quite good until a few hours before the end: he was still eating and using his litter box until the evening of March 15th. Although his state was obviously deteriorating, he seemed weak but did not seem to be in a lot of pain and his mental state remained fairly good considering what was going on. But somehow I had the feeling that he was ready to go. A blood transfusion might have been indicated for him, but I felt he had had enough. I did not want to put him through any procedure seemingly invasive at that point and I felt that the stress of a blood transfusion in a hospital setting would have been too much for him and it would have hardly been palliative considering the progression of his liver masses and the risk of more hemorrhage to come.

At 16 years old, on the night between March 15th and 16th, when he felt it was time for him to go, he let out a howling meow and was turning his head from side to side like he was searching for me. Of course I was not far and I stayed up with him as I felt his condition was deteriorating. As soon as I got closer to him he grabbed my hands with his front paws, dragged himself towards me and meowed as if to show his appreciation that I was right there with him, making it obvious that he wanted me to stay with him. Then he rested his head into my hand and peacefully passed away... As sad as I was, I really felt privileged that he wanted to spend his last moments with me.

I am so thankful for all the work Dr Feinman has done with my dear Darwin, all the care and time he spent helping him and teaching me about veterinary homeopathy. And of course I'm also extremely thankful for all the healing his body was able to do with the help of homeopathy until his liver masses progressed to the point where he was no longer able to heal. I think homeopathy greatly improved his quality of life and until the end, I'm convinced that homeopathy played a major role in helping him pass away peacefully.

This forum has been very helpful to Darwin and I in the last 1 1/2 year as I periodically had some questions that needed to be addressed in between our follow-up appointments, so I'm also thanking Dr Feinman and all the team of Holistic Actions for this great service being offered to its members!

Very gratefully,

Véronique

Below are a few pictures of Darwin as he was travelling with us :)
IMG_5529 (1).jpgIMG_6735.jpgDSC06494.JPGDSC06276.JPG

LilF

Community Member
Registered
My condolences to you on the loss of Darwin. Your journey with him brings me to tears for the inspiration, hope and your belief in the possibilities that opened doors of quality of life at such an old age. He lived again and again right before your eyes as he regained vitality that no drug regimen could do. It encourages me with my little canine guy, 15 with some of the same issues as your beloved cat. I wished I had pursued homeopathy earlier with my current dog and especially with my dog who passed in December. For those on the fence as I was for so long before I took action, I hope your post will encourage people to take action sooner rather than later.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I hope your post will encourage people to take action sooner rather than later.

Me too Lil. Darwin's story is a wonderful way to spread the word about the possibilities when we work with our beloved pets' bodies and nature.

VeroniqueM

VIP Member
Registered
My condolences to you on the loss of Darwin. Your journey with him brings me to tears for the inspiration, hope and your belief in the possibilities that opened doors of quality of life at such an old age. He lived again and again right before your eyes as he regained vitality that no drug regimen could do. It encourages me with my little canine guy, 15 with some of the same issues as your beloved cat. I wished I had pursued homeopathy earlier with my current dog and especially with my dog who passed in December. For those on the fence as I was for so long before I took action, I hope your post will encourage people to take action sooner rather than later.
Thank you Lil for your kind words. I also wish I had reached out to homeopathy sooner for Darwin. But at the same time I also realized that it's never too late. As you said it so well, he came back to life when he started his homeopathy journey along with a diet change also recommended by Dr Jeff. The earlier the homeopathic intervention, the better chance the body has to reach a complete cure, but even in the end stage of an incurable disease (like Darwin's multiple liver masses and cysts) homeopathy can have tremendous palliative benefits. I send you good thoughts and wish you the best possible journey with your little canine guy :)

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom