• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Members: Do you use conventional heartworm larvacide?

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
Members: I'm still waffling on whether to use conventional heartworm larvacide (cuz it's not prevention!). Obviously we have the toxic nature of HW meds on one side, and on the other side, we have the potential risk of HW itself. I'm hyper focused on optimizing Bobby's health, but he's still showing mild signs of imbalance (thus vulnerability) as we approach warmer weather, so I feel like I'm running out of time to make a decision. What is your story?

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
@aruna - Thanks! Yes, I have read that. I think I'm leaning back away from HW meds again. My parents nor my husband's parents never used them (and neither set were holistic minded in the slightest), and all their dogs did fine. I don't think I could fully relax with either option, so I might as well lean towards the more healthful option. I'd still be curious to hear about other members and what they do.

aruna

Cat mom
Administrator
All-Access Member
Yes, I agree, hope others give you their feedback - it might be useful to mention which part of United states you live

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
Good idea @aruna - I'm in San Mateo in the SF Bay Area of California. We do live within a 5-min walk of the Bay, where there are some swampy areas of standing water. Other than that, it's the suburbs.

Side note: If anyone's used the HealthGene D319 Canine Heartworm (Diofilaria immitis) test (it's a DNA test that detects heartworm larvae, so you apparently get earlier detection than the standard antigen or microfilariae tests), let me know more about it. I found it reference in this Dogs Naturally Magazine article.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Personally I don't use the preventative for Archie but do a heart worm check twice/y.

As Aruna aptly pointed out, the decision to use it will partially be based on the risk:benefit.

The wonderful @ivegrgas lives in your area and is also an awe-some researcher for his sweet pup.

I'd be curious to hear what he has found. BTW-When I was in vet school the incidence of HW in the NW USA was super low.

I have never used the test you mention and find a twice annual heartworm check to be more than sufficient (along with BEAM) for early detection.

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks as always for your input @Dr. Jeff! What's the optimal timing for the tests? I know that Dr. Christina suggested one about now or June. When should the second one be? Also, should I get both the antigen AND the microfilariae test? The odds are low that he would be positive since his last test was in November (and, yes, the HW incidence in our area is low too) and he's been on Simparica Trio on all the months since then, except for last month, so in general he's only been without HW larvacide for a month (or less if the meds last longer than they say).

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Definitely I support no heartworm "preventative" until Bobby is really well. Just avoid mosquitoes! many natural ways - Garlic barriers outside, Essential Oil or herbal sprays each walk, etc.
Dr. Christina

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
Definitely I support no heartworm "preventative" until Bobby is really well. Just avoid mosquitoes! many natural ways - Garlic barriers outside, Essential Oil or herbal sprays each walk, etc.
Dr. Christina
We're definitely naturally protecting him from mosquitos the best we can. We can't use strong smelling products, because they're distressing to Bobby, but I've been using many non-smelling options. I'm spraying the yards with Wondercide today as an outdoor barrier.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom