• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Maintaining a healthy back for 3 yr old dachshund

AlisonM

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi! Jasper is my 3 year old long haired dachshund who is a happy, healthy guy, weighing 16 lbs. I would like to keep his back (he is a 'long back' doxie) in the best condition possible. We walk every day and Jasper has playtime with our other dogs. I'm wondering if I should start him on a joint supplement now or if there is anything other type of supplement I should be giving to maintain a healthy spine? Thank you :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Alison, thanks for making your first post about Jasper.

It's fantastic that you are thinking about how to practice proactive prevention with regard to Jasper's back!

The very best prevention is a holistic diet and lifestyle, being respectful of the symptom clues from his body (by avoiding "antis"), weight control, mindful exercise (keep jumping to a minimum) with lots of core work and early intervention using BEAM and EWS (early warning signs).

Personally I also recommend minimal "preventive" supplementation in order to help avoid covering up subtle symptoms.

In addition to other forum threads about back, joint and muscle health, perhaps take a look at the mindful supplementation, exercise and PT webinars and other resources.

Jasper should love doing core work so you'll get double the benefit (happiness/vitality and exercise).

core exercise archie on toto fit.jpg

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Alison,
I absolutely agree with Dr. Jeff about the importance of good diet, healthy lifestyle, and core exercises.

I differ somewhat regarding supplementation. A long backed, short legged dog imposes abnormal stress on their back and joints. Therefore, supplements that decrease oxidative stress and provide healthy building blocks for the joints are useful to ensure that the individual has the nutrients needed to maintain healthy joints.

I recommend supplementing fish oil, tested for purity and heavy metals, as few diets contain a sufficient balance of omega fatty acids, and omega fatty acids are an excellent antioxidant. A product like Nordic Naturals is good. There is considerable evidence on the benefits of omega fatty acids in joint health.

I often recommend supplementing glucosamine and glycosaminoglycans in dogs with stress on their joints or for working dogs. There is less hard evidence for the benefits of these products, although these are important components of normal joints.

Dachshunds and many other dogs may have a mutation which makes them more susceptible to early aging of the discs between the bones of the back. This UC Davis article briefly discusses the situation and the testing for it.
Many breeders have started testing for this mutation. I hope this information is helpful.
Stay well,
Dr. Sara

AlisonM

All-Access Member
Registered
Dear Alison,
I absolutely agree with Dr. Jeff about the importance of good diet, healthy lifestyle, and core exercises.

I differ somewhat regarding supplementation. A long backed, short legged dog imposes abnormal stress on their back and joints. Therefore, supplements that decrease oxidative stress and provide healthy building blocks for the joints are useful to ensure that the individual has the nutrients needed to maintain healthy joints.

I recommend supplementing fish oil, tested for purity and heavy metals, as few diets contain a sufficient balance of omega fatty acids, and omega fatty acids are an excellent antioxidant. A product like Nordic Naturals is good. There is considerable evidence on the benefits of omega fatty acids in joint health.

I often recommend supplementing glucosamine and glycosaminoglycans in dogs with stress on their joints or for working dogs. There is less hard evidence for the benefits of these products, although these are important components of normal joints.

Dachshunds and many other dogs may have a mutation which makes them more susceptible to early aging of the discs between the bones of the back. This UC Davis article briefly discusses the situation and the testing for it.
Many breeders have started testing for this mutation. I hope this information is helpful.
Stay well,
Dr. Sara
Thank you Dr. Sara :) I have been supplementing with high quality fish oil. I appreciate your expertise and guidance!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for your great post Dr. Sara and for sharing the UC Davis information about the mutation!

I did not realize that they commercially offer the mutation test. Great to know!

Another source Allison for genetic info is from our folks at Embark:

It's definitely fine (and often beneficial) to supplement omega-3s, glucosamine sulfate/green-lipped mussels, eggshell membrane, grape seed extract etc. But since doing so may cover up lots of symptoms, just keep a close eye out for other dis-ease (imbalance) Allison.

Early detection is an important part of proactive prevention.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom