• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

Lyme Treatment Questions

JenG

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina @Dr. Sara

Seeking advice for Ned:

Tested pos for Lyme in March '24, but no C6 given and no other symptoms. Tested pos for Lyme on 9/5/24 and C6 indicated reading of 80. Dox was prescribed (150mg) but not administered.

As I understand it, and from reading several threads on Lyme treatment in the forum and other articles, I would not give dox in this situation since no signs of lameness, loss of appetite. But, are there other symptoms and does it depend on the dog, and am I letting him get worse by not treating it? What would lead to chronic lyme disease? How can I support him?

I am wondering: can I complement his meals with some other immune support? I know there is a list of immune boosting supplements and flower essences on the lyme resources page. Should I elect one? Should I change his diet, how else can I support him besides daily exercise and love. Exercise this summer was tough with the extreme heat. Thank you for any advice.

Ned’s diet:
Cooked: gr turkey, ground pork, salmon/ greens, peas, carrots/canned pumpkin. Handful of Acana LIT ingred dry pork or duck. Once a day: 1T of Rx Vitamins Nutritional Support and Essentials for Dogs. Also one capsule Allegany Nutrition Digestive Enzyme HP90V. He had been on Jing Tang Concentrated Lyme Formula pretty consistently from 2021 Fall until this spring when I ran out and changed vets.

Here are his recent labs. His ALT has been high for a few years ranging from over 100 in 2021 to 199 in March 2024. But, now a lot higher. He is not losing protein in his urine. He is an energetic ten year old lab. He walks a bit slower on our walks, but still has pep, no lameness.

Attachments

• NED-GROVES-2024-09-11-1048.pdf
    336.5 KB · Views: 1

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Jen!

What would lead to chronic lyme disease?
Great question! A weak, imbalanced immune system will render any dog (or person) more susceptible to chronic Lyme.
How can I support him?
Try this:

Cooked: gr turkey, ground pork, salmon/ greens, peas, carrots/canned pumpkin. Handful of Acana LIT ingred dry pork or duck. Once a day: 1T of Rx Vitamins Nutritional Support and Essentials for Dogs.
If his diet does not vary, you may want to consider adding supplemental calcium and a dog mulivitamin just in case the Rx supplements you're using are missing some micronutrients. You can also consider a commercial balanced fresh food like Farmer's Dog or Raised Right.

A balanced raw diet like Viva (25% off first order when using code=vitality) or Small Batch is even better immune support.

JenG

Community Member
Registered
Okay, thank you for the input and recommendations. He was initially put on a cooked diet because of liver values, I think? Or what he'd absorb most easily? I'll look into more varying of his diet. Thank you

JenG

Community Member
Registered
Why would a vet recommend raw diet vs cooked typically?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Why would a vet recommend raw diet vs cooked typically?
Great question! The fundamental issue is one of cellular energy. Raw food has maximum vitality (is closest to being alive). Ultra-processed kibble (and cardboard!) have the lowest.

IMAGE food vitality scale.jpg
Unless a pet is not able to handle raw food (gas, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. when they eat raw is often a clue), the raw food can increase the body's ability to heal.

Clinically, raw diets work. They optimize immune function and reduce symptoms for many dogs.

JenG

Community Member
Registered
Ok. I guess I can try a raw food diet - with his bloat I'll ease him into it and see. I think I need to change something.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, do it very, very gradually.

My reply was for everyone. For Ned he may need further homeopathic treatment before he can tolerate much raw.

JenG

Community Member
Registered
Ok. I will not change his diet until I look into all of this further. I did order the Sustenance Herbs Bor - L - Immune. Should I administer that when it arrives. Is that okay? And, again, NO docycyline? That is what I think you are suggesting at this time.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

JenG

Community Member
Registered
If I still have questions should I sign up for a 15 min question appt or instead a "real" appt? I would fill out the update form as to Ned's condition. Thank you

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question, thanks for asking Jen.

We can cover most general questions during a 15 minute HMDM call. When it comes to choosing remedies and when I will need to review Ned's records, we need a 20-30 minute recheck/"official" appointment.

NancyK

Community Member
Registered
As far as dog food, Allprovide looks like a great brand. I make my own but considering it for rotation. Their raw can be gently cooked if need be.

Nancy

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom