• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Licking anal area in the early morning, every day

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi,

My dog Hope had some anal gland issues (smelly discharge) and she was licking it excessively. I don't express her anal gland...Per @Dr. Christina 's suggestions, we did hot compressed on the area for several days and it has reduced the licking a lot. However, she still wakes up round the clock early morning (between 2:30am and 7am) licking it. We tried to do hot compress on the area earlier today but she tried to get away so we stopped. I've never experienced with this in the past - is this an indication of something, hopefully not serious?

She had some GI issues (diarrhea) for many days and per @Dr. Jeff 's guidance, we dosed her Pulsatilla 30C 10/Q-tip for three days and I'm happy to report that her stool has returned to firm.

With the continue excessive licking, is it time to change remedy if needed?

Here is a related post:

Thank you.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
The anal sacs are expressed each time a stool passes through. This is a way that dogs mark their territory as the anal smell is not related to what they eat.

When they have diarrhea or soft stools, the sacs are not squeezed out, so the fluid accumulates. It may take several days of firm stools for this to resolve. It is very unlikely to be a serious issue, so there are several more things you can try.

Give some diluted rescue remedy orally just before you go to bed at night, and maybe rub some rescue remedy cream on the anal area (or just sponge on some dilute rescue remedy). When she wakens licking, give her a few more drops of the RR.

Keep tracking her BEAM and any other symptoms, including the early warning ones.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great info Dr. Christina, thanks. ?

No Christine, it probably is not time to change the remedy unless Hope's BEAM is decreasing.

Please also give us more context for the symptom. Things like how often it occurs, and how long it's been going on (Persistence)? Is it Prominent or Problematic?

Did it start before the diarrhea?

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Christina - Thank you for the wonderful suggestion. I got the cream and applied to her anal area before bed as well as rubbing RR (I already have the pet version) on her gums before bed and it worked really well the first night.

@Dr. Jeff - context, context, context! :) Yes, licking of the anal area started after she started having soft stool (that's around 6/13/21) and she was dosed Pulsatilla 30c on 6/22, 6/23, and 6/24 and she had firm stool on 6/25 and 6/26, but then soft stool again on 6/27. I do see correlation between having soft stool and more licking.

How often does it occur? occasionally during the day but more prominent during early morning between 2am and 7am.
How long has it been going on? Since 6/13/21.
Prominent and Problematic? Her BEAM is stable. Good appetite. She is more timid on walks again.

I hope these answer your question, Dr. Jeff and provide clues...

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, thanks Christine.

I'm glad that Dr. Christina's suggestion is helping Hope.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom