• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

Large cell lymphoma in my cat

LisaArk

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Christina @Dr. Jean Hofve @Dr. Jeff
My male cat came with the name "Punkin," but we often call him Punk. Lately, he's Punkin because he doesn't have the energy to be a punk...We rescued him from a colleague that died at home. This was a huge trauma because when one dies at home, police come. Punkin hid when the police came and was alone for 2-3 weeks and nobody knows how he survived. He was likley about 6ish or so when we adopted him, and when we took him to the vet discovered he'd never been neutered and he had terrible teeth. So, he was neutered and had some teeth removed. I can't remember, actually, if we were "forced" to vaccinate him or not, I think I refused, but I'm not sure at this point, I'm not home where my records are. Which brings me to possible toxins - I left my apt. 3 years ago because hidden mold was making me sick - I'm still recovering and I did a mycotoxin test on Punk and it was pretty clear.
He has recently been diagnosed with high grade lymphoma, which I know is quite a grave prognosis. This all happened so fast and during a time that was over the top stressful and busy - in court with landlord over the mold, among many other things, so I just took him my a regular vet that I knew before I'd moved - over an hour away though, because he was the only vet that could contain him. He went two rounds of the CHOP protocol and after that I insisted on another ultra sound to see if there was any improvement. In fact, it had spread from the liver to the spleen. He was also on prednisilone, and jjust read that I shouldn't have had him on that during chemo.

Just prior to this diagnosis, he had 2 bladder infections (I have to think all this could be related to stress in my life and sadly, in my marriage in response to all that was going on) Being treated by a regular ol' vet, he was put on antibiotics. In the last year, he also got constipated and for a while would go out of the box. At first I thought it could be some acting out, but after a long relaxed, loving day at home he'd go to the bathroom in another room. He'd often start in the box, but I think he was uncomfortable and he associated the litter box with discomfort. The vet recommended Miralax. I stopped that because lately, as I've been giving him probiotics, it's better and he goes in the box.

Finally, historically, in 2018 he got sick (very shortly after we got him) this was the summary from a vet I took him to -
What the ultrasonographer found was inflammation of the liver (hepatitis) and gallbladder/bile ducts (cholecystitis/choledochitis). There is mineralization accumulation in the bile ducts (cholecystolilthiasis), fortunately no large stones were seen and there was no gallbladder obstruction. They also noted some inflammation in the small intestine, suspicious of inflammatory bowel disease.

The final diagnosis is: cholangiohepatitis and inflammatory bowel disease. Fortunately everything else within the abdomen was normal.
To treat these two diseases in cats, we typically reach for two antibiotics for potential infectious causes of liver and gallbladder inflammation(Amoxicillin/Clavulanic acid and Metronidazole), a steroid to decrease inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract (prednisolone), as well as liver supplements (Ursodeoxycholic acid, aka Ursodiol, which helps to increase bile flow, reduce inflammation, and decrease scar tissue formation AND SAMe, aka Denamarin, which is an antioxidant to support liver healing).

Additionally, IBD can be associated with a food sensitivity to the meat protein (i.e. commonly chicken, beef, pork, and fish), so a diet change is recommended. The gold standard for food sensitivities is to use a hydrolyzed diet, which means that the proteins in the diet are broken down into such small pieces that they do not cause allergic reactions in the gastrointestinal tract to cause inflammation. These diets are made by Hill's (z/d), Royal Canin (HP), and Purina (HA). If Punkin is a picky eater, we can try a novel protein instead, which can be a good alternative in some cases. Novel proteins are protein sources that Punkin has not been exposed to before. This can include rabbit, duck, lamb, even kangaroo. There are prescription diets (also by Hill's and Royal Canin), but there are also over-the-counter diets too. Over-the-counter diets are not as highly recommended because they might contain trace amounts of proteins that cause allergic reactions in some cats. However, they can be as beneficial as prescription diets in some cases. The companies that make limited ingredient diets include: Natural Balance, Merrick, Instinct, Blue, Zignature, Canidae, etc.

I wound up feeding him Royal Canin Rabbit and Danamarin and he did well for years until just recently. Since his diagnosis, I've tried raw beef, lightly steamed beef which he loves for a couple of bites and then he stops.

I'm giving him NHV ES Clear, Animal Essentials Mushroom Defense, BioV Clarity Cancer AM and PM and finally BioV Clarity, Food for liver and kidney. I'd had a consult with a homeopathic vet and he prescribed these things after I told him (much to his dismay, I think) that I was going to go ahead with chemo. He had no idea how much I should give, and he told me to call the company and I didn't get a call back from that company...I've also been chopping up and liquifiying some Vetri Science Senior Mulitvitamins and well as a little vit. B complex (bluebonnet stress B complex) - 1/32 of teaspoon and Jarrow Formula jarrow-dophilus EPS - spread out over his meals during the day.

I really have no idea what I'm doing, and tonight he's not eating and slightly wobbly, but he went through a day like that a couple of weeks ago and I took him to an emergency vet at 6am thinking it could be the end, but he perked up and rallied and has been eating well since and been fairly perky for a cat with lymphoma - I'd also been feeding him Weruva Lamb, but he's lost his taste for that and doesn't eat much of the beef. He seems to like a particular chicken dish, and I always said at the end, he could eat whatever he wanted, food allergies be damned. Tonight he really doesn't feel well, but is still seeking my comfort and not hiding. He stopped being playful about 2 months ago, but still loves his organic catnip and being pet and loved. He loves his caves and going under blankets, so I hung a blanket over the coffee table for a cave like atmosphere...

So, I've sort of been flying blind and could use some guidance regarding any possible treatments, what I should feed him or anything else! I don't have a holistic vet and don't really know how to best help him. I read about Nate the Cat - have you read this? Incurable to Cancer-Free in One Year: How Nate-the-Cat Survived High Grade Lymphoma - Love of a Cat

Also wondering about in home euthanasia as opposed to bringing him in when the time is right.

Sorry for this very long post and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Hi Lisa, and welcome!

Wow, Punkin has been through quite a lot, bless you for giving him such a loving home for these years since his original owner died!

It sounds like we may be in the last couple of innings and looking more for comfort than cure (though cure is never impossible!). But more than giving him "things" (herbs, supplements, foods), energy work (homeopathy, Reiki, and if it's within your world, prayer, angel magic, color healing, crystals, etc.) feels like the best area of addition. Of course, keep on with playing, pet-pets, smooches, and anything else that makes him happy!

I totally agree with you about letting him eat whatever he wants! I tell my clients: "If the cat wants Ben and Jerry's, you go to the store!" My any-port-in-a-storm choice is Fancy Feast. Not terrific quality but cats love it, and at this point we want him to keep eating. Sounds like he's tolerating most proteins now, so allergies aren't a big concern (if they ever truly were... IBD is often related to allergies, but could be from the mold, kitten vaccines, prior meds, chronic inflammation from the previous dental disease, etc.).

Sometimes it's best to stop supplements, in case they are affecting the taste of the food or putting him off in any way. Up to you which ones to keep, if any... my inclination would be to keep the ES Clear, and if he'll take one or two more, Mushroom Defense and the B vits. On a complete diet they don't need extra vitamins and minerals (and indeed mineral overdose can become a problem), but Bs tend to be low-ish in canned foods, especially the pate ones. (No dry food, if you haven't heard that before--source of allergens, and causes dehydration, UTIs and constipation.) Oh, and keep the probiotics since they are helping him.

BTW don't worry about prednisolone and CHOP - that's what the P is, it's part of the protocol. If he's not on it now, it may be something to consider, because (1) this late in the game, long-term side effects aren't a concern, (b) it makes them hungry, (c) it's an effective inflammation/pain reliever. I am NOT a fan of steroids, but there are exceptions and Punkin may be one of them.

If you can give fluids at home, I would definitely recommend that. Dehydration causes nausea and headache, not to mention constipation and UTIs. Fluids solve so many issues with cats, and prevents many more!

When the time comes, at-home euthanasia is such a blessing. If that's an option, definitely do that!

You can always talk to an animal communicator about all this, too... sometimes when things are all confused and uncertain, that can really help. We have had quite a few give talks here, I'm not the web genius but @aruna or one of the other vets can point you to those resources.

Hope I caught everything... but in any case, please keep asking questions!

LisaArk

Community Member
Registered
Hi Dr. Hofve,

Thank you so much for your reply on a Sunday night! I'm sorry, I hit "reply" few times, not seeing where to post my reply, and so your post has been repeated multiple times. Whoops.

Punkin is on Prednisolone, .5 mls., and has been for a few months now.
The only thing you didn't specifically respond to is the link about Nate the Cat, and his successful protocol for large cell lymphoma. I guess I'm wondering if I should do a last flood of things that helped Nate, or let my boy go into the good night without all of that. I want to feel like I've done all I can for him, yet I don't want to make him miserable. He's been tolerating all that I've been syringing into him well, he's such a resilient trooper. The reason I thought to give vitamins was because I assumed he was depleted from chemo.

Regarding in home euthanasia, do you have recommendations? I've discovered, "Lap of Love" while googling...I'll look up animal communicators, but I do fear we're in the end game. Tonight after posting, he went to the closet and faced the wall, and he hasn't eaten since the morning. He wants to, he purrs when I put food in front of him, but he can't get himself to eat. But after a rough night somewhat like this, a couple of weeks ago, he perked up, and the vet and we agreed that there was still some life in the old boy yet.

Tonight he also urinated about 6-7 times - in the span of a few hours - what could this mean? That has all slowed down now, he got up to drink some water and is next to me and not in the closet now and seems somewhat less miserable. I think this is the prednisolone talking.

So, Nate the Cat's protolcol or leave him alone? Or ask the animal communicator - maybe that's what you were suggesting.

I'm currently looking for a holistic vet in the Fairfield County area - I've recently moved here. I'm comfortable giving fluids, and coincidentally, he started drinking more water tonight...so he seems to need it.

Thanks again.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Lisa!

Wow, Nate has sure been through a lot! Thank you so much for giving him a loving home.

IMHO, everything he has been through (emotionally, spiritually and physically) have resulted in his lymphoma. I feel that they create energetic entanglements which are associated with cellular dysfunction and dis-ease.

On the cellular and energetic level this makes your job of deciding what to. do a bit easier.

Why? Because you already have the most powerful healing and energetic force at your disposal.

That is the power of love.

We all love our pets, and how we can focus it on healing is what HA! is all about (if you didn't already watch or listen to Dr. Palmquist's HA! webinar last week, I highly, highly recommend it).

When combined with true veterinary homeopathy as Dr. Pitcairn will discuss tonight, they are exceptionally effective.

However, with that being said, I agree with Dr. Jean that Punkin may just feel that his job here is done.

I'd highly recommend Häna Makinen for both expert animal communication as well as for the contextual emotional support and grief counseling:

could use some guidance regarding any possible treatments, what I should feed him or anything else!
Thanks for asking Lisa! What used to be Punkin's very favorite thing to do and eat?

Are you able to get him outside to just sit in the grass (or maybe even sniff around)?
I want to feel like I've done all I can for him
Yes! It sounds like using Nate the cat's protocol would help you feel that way. As long as it does not further affect his appetite or any remaining joy in eating, then it is fine to us.
also urinated about 6-7 times - in the span of a few hours - what could this mean?
Physical symptoms like this (or of any kind) are a result of cellular changes that reflect the dynamic equilibrium and always fluctuating energy flow.

As long as a symptom doesn't worsen BEAM, then it is primarily his body's way of "speaking" to you.

The_4_Ps.jpeg

Drs. Alvarez and Seo are both experience holistic vets in this area:

You might also want to consider adding a trained and experienced vet homeopath to the vet care team.

Virtual vet homeopathy (which deals in energy imbalances and not primarily physical stuff like supplements) is very, very effective at optimizing energy balance, BEAM and quality of life (even at end of life).

Feel free to reach out for any further support.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Hi, yes I was thinking an animal communicator could talk to him about further treatment. The difference is that Nate had a solid tumor and the primary was removed; Punkin's is diffuse. Those forms behave differently.

Personally I tend to err on the side of not putting them through too much. But he chose you, and your paths travel together. It has to be something you both "agree" on (however that manifests!). Hope that makes sense!

Pred does make them drink and pee more, but also eat more so we like that part!

Meanwhile, just love the heck out of him! That's your main job! ❤️

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
...and give serious thought to working with a homeopath. One never knows if a total remission is possible, but it certainly could make him feel better and give him more good days.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom