• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

Kitty tested positive for Giardia/im going out of town Monday

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Yesterday morning, my 3 1/2-year-old cat Jinxie woke up without an appetite. She’s usually the first to cuddle with me early in the morning and wake me up for breakfast, but she didn’t eat at all yesterday. She was crying, meowing, and pacing following a bowel movement, which was diarrhea that looked like gravy and also had some clear liquid in it. The second time she had diarrhea, it was like water, and she was also hiding.

I worked with Dr. Judy Herman, who prescribed aconitum napellus. After three rounds, Jinxie started showing some improvement. From 5 PM yesterday until this morning, she didn’t leave the couch. I checked on her regularly and noticed she was purring, which I took as a good sign, although it made me a bit anxious as my other cat purred when he was very sick. However, I do believe Jinxie is showing signs of improvement.

I dropped off a stool test yesterday, and the vet called today to say Jinxie tested positive for Giardia. They detected the protein but not the actual Giardia, indicating she likely doesn’t have a large amount of it.

The vet recommended starting her on a liquid medication for seven days, but I would prefer to help her naturally. I left a message for Dr. Judy Herman, but time is pressing as I’m flying out for a family vacation on Monday morning for five days.

Is it okay for me to hold off on giving the conventional medicine? I want to explore natural treatments. I’m concerned about her well-being while I’m away. My cat sitter cannot touch Jinxie because she is very skittish. The sitter can only crush a pellet of homeopathic medicine into her food, provided she continues eating, which she did a bit this morning. She had some pure chicken baby food and a little freeze dried chicken treats. Jinxie is also showing improved BEAM (Behavior, Energy, Appetite, Mood).

Her appetite has improved, she is purring, enjoys being combed and petted, and even went out on the catio.

I need advice on how to approach this situation since it’s already Saturday and I’m leaving Monday morning. Jinxie’s diet includes Smallbatch raw turkey and chicken from Darwins, supplemented with a bit of canned food from Weruva, and freeze-dried treats from Better Treat and Smallbatch. Should I stay away from raw and try to give her baby food for a couple of days and a little canned chicken? Or maybe cook her raw food?

Jinxie is an indoor cat who only goes outside on a harness. Her brother, an indoor-outdoor cat, shows no symptoms but will be quarantined while I’m away. I will get a stool test for him when I return.

Thank you so much for your guidance.

@Dr. Christina @Dr. Jean Hofve @Dr. Jeff

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
They detected the protein but not the actual Giardia, indicating she likely doesn’t have a large amount of it.
I think this refers to the Elisa (antibody) test vs. actually seeing any Giardia in the stool.
showing improved BEAM (Behavior, Energy, Appetite, Mood).
Fantastic! :snowman: 😍

Should I stay away from raw and try to give her baby food for a couple of days and a little canned chicken? Or maybe cook her raw food?
Baby food would be great (and pretty easy for the cat sitter to do).

I hope you're going somewhere fun next week!🌴🌴🌴🌊🌊🌞😻😻😻

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Yes, it's fine to hold off on the meds. If you want to try an alternative protocol after you get back, here's mine: Giardia Natural Treatment Protocol | Little Big Cat - Dr. Jean Hofve

Funny but I just got an email this morning about how 10 years ago this protocol cleared giardia in a mama cat and 5 kittens after nothing else had worked--she still has all 6 cats, and they are doing great! :)

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
I think this refers to the Elisa (antibody) test vs. actually seeing any Giardia in the stool.

Fantastic! :snowman: 😍

Baby food would be great (and pretty easy for the cat sitter to do).

I hope you're going somewhere fun next week!🌴🌴🌴🌊🌊🌞😻😻😻

Yesterday morning, my 3 1/2-year-old cat Jinxie woke up without an appetite. She’s usually the first to cuddle with me early in the morning and wake me up for breakfast, but she didn’t eat at all yesterday. She was crying, meowing, and pacing following a bowel movement, which was diarrhea that looked like gravy and also had some clear liquid in it. The second time she had diarrhea, it was like water, and she was also hiding.

I worked with Dr. Judy Herman, who prescribed aconitum napellus. After three rounds, Jinxie started showing some improvement. From 5 PM yesterday until this morning, she didn’t leave the couch. I checked on her regularly and noticed she was purring, which I took as a good sign, although it made me a bit anxious as my other cat purred when he was very sick. However, I do believe Jinxie is showing signs of improvement.

I dropped off a stool test yesterday, and the vet called today to say Jinxie tested positive for Giardia. They detected the protein but not the actual Giardia, indicating she likely doesn’t have a large amount of it.

The vet recommended starting her on a liquid medication for seven days, but I would prefer to help her naturally. I left a message for Dr. Judy Herman, but time is pressing as I’m flying out for a family vacation on Monday morning for five days.

Is it okay for me to hold off on giving the conventional medicine? I want to explore natural treatments. I’m concerned about her well-being while I’m away. My cat sitter cannot touch Jinxie because she is very skittish. The sitter can only crush a pellet of homeopathic medicine into her food, provided she continues eating, which she did a bit this morning. She had some pure chicken baby food and a little freeze dried chicken treats. Jinxie is also showing improved BEAM (Behavior, Energy, Appetite, Mood).

Her appetite has improved, she is purring, enjoys being combed and petted, and even went out on the catio.

I need advice on how to approach this situation since it’s already Saturday and I’m leaving Monday morning. Jinxie’s diet includes Smallbatch raw turkey and chicken from Darwins, supplemented with a bit of canned food from Weruva, and freeze-dried treats from Better Treat and Smallbatch. Should I stay away from raw and try to give her baby food for a couple of days and a little canned chicken? Or maybe cook her raw food?

Jinxie is an indoor cat who only goes outside on a harness. Her brother, an indoor-outdoor cat, shows no symptoms but will be quarantined while I’m away. I will get a stool test for him when I return.

Thank you so much for your guidance.

@Dr. Christina @Dr. Jean Hofve @Dr. Jeff
The Vet recommended panacur medication for 7 days. Is this a highly toxic medication? Does it typically cause bad side effects? @Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina @Dr. Jean Hofve

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Panacur is generally pretty safe, but it is not all that effective against giardia. It will usually reduce the diarrhea, but it doesn't kill the parasites and they can make a comeback.

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
This is interesting information Dr. Jean. If she doesn’t have diarrhea, then she doesn’t need to take it?

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
No need for medication without active infection, though I would still use the enzyme protocol just to clear any "leftovers" out. It takes some effort but it will help support her overall bowel health and avoid potential recurrence.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom