• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Kitten's Bowel Movements with New Diet

HA! Support

Administrator
VIP Member
Registered
Support has posted this on behalf of new user @JoanneDM :

• Cat Bodhi, 8 weeks old, Male, not neutered
  • Breed domestic medium hair length
  • Approximate weight 1.7 pounds
  • What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood) : energetic, playful, affectionate, good appetite, happy
  • Diet raw food (gave same food from previous home [Friskies turkey and giblets pate] in case he transitioned diet too fast, for one evening, morning and afternoon, but now returning to raw food after receiving reassurance that this would be okay to do)
  • Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication: will never be vaccinated, nothing else to report
  • Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time : straining to defecate this morning, previous stools were soft light brown but this morning stools were very dark and hard
  • Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc? can't tell
  • Current and previous treatment. currently adding pumpkin puree but I'm concern about how much to add in, given that adding too much can worsen constipation; I have gave him tuna water from canned tuna (tested for mercury for food safety) late evening yesterday, he drank much of it them, also adding some water to food bowl
  • Other health concerns. I would like to know what I can do to make sure my kitten produces soft light brown stools on a regular basis

I have an 8-week old kitten that has been adopted two days ago and needs help adjusting. The morning when I brought him home, he produced 3 light brown soft stools; he was fed Friskies canned food. That day and the next, I was giving him raw turkey, 34 hours since his last bowel movement he produced one light brown stool--which could be due to the raw food that leads to less stool. But I noticed that he was not adjusting well to the litter during the day and so I switched to the litter he had before, it is shortly after that that he had that light brown stool. Since he had been going in his litter box, and then jumping out of it without leaving anything behind, I was concerned about constipation setting in and so much later yesterday I gave him tuna water from tuna canned (tested for mercury for food safety). I also started giving him the food he was used to, Friskies turkey and giblets pate, yesterday evening and this morning and early afternoon, in case I had transitioned him to the new food too fast--but Dr. Christina recently reassured me that I could stick with the raw food. This morning he produced 3 dark brown hard stools after showing signs of straining. This again Dr. Christina said it is of no major concern as long as my kitten is very energetic with a good appetite, which he is. I'm also adding a bit of water in his food bowl.

I would really appreciate guidance to make sure he can produce brown soft stools on a regular basis. I've been adding some pumpkin puree, yesterday and today, to his meals, but I would also like to know how much to add, since I know that adding too much can worsen constipation. Please advise on what steps I could take. Much appreciated, Joanne

@Dr. Christina @Dr. Jean Hofve @Dr. Jeff

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I always recommend a GRADUAL food transition. An 8-week old kitten's GI system is barely mature let alone capable of an instant transition. With that previous diet he probably needs probiotic support too. A kitten's stomach has such a tiny capacity that adding pumpkin will seriously dilute the nutrients in the food; you could add a tiny pinch of slippery elm or marshmallow root powder to increase fiber, but he does not need the carbs in pumpkin. If he gets truly constipated and not just reacting to the rapid change, a fingerful of vaseline in his mouth will get his intestines moving again. He's a tiny baby, be gentle!

JoanneDM

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Jean for this information. Bodhi had three nice stools this morning. I will give him the Friskies pate mixed in with the raw food. Here is my transition plan, does this sound right: 75% old diet and 25% new diet for three days; 50% hold diet and 50 % new diet for three days; 25% old diet and 75 % new diet for three days; thereafter 100% new diet. Should this plan be modified?

I am also adding to his morning meal the probiotic Love Bugs from Adored Beast. I'm giving him 1/32 tsp, is this enough?

By a pinch of slippery elm bark powder, I'm assuming that this means 1/16 tsp--I have measuring spoons that go down to 1/64 tsp. Is this the correct amount and would I be adding this to his food per meal?

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Excellent!

On the schedule, sure, that's a "standard" method... but it's not up to you, or to a timetable... make the changes on HIS schedule, depending upon how he's doing. Some cats only need 1 day at each stage, some need a week. Watch BEAM!

Probiotics are pretty fool-proof so you can probably give a little more, say 1/8 tsp. per meal (the directions say 1/4 tsp from 1-29 lbs.)

For slippery elm I mean a literal pinch. It's very fluffy, so just get a pinch of it in your fingers.

I had a set of measuring spoons like that, they said "pinch, dash..." They were fun (but not real practical!). :)

Last edited:

JoanneDM

VIP Member
Registered
It is so very reassuring to be part of this wonderful pet community. Thank you Dr. Jean for your guidance.

There is this incidence that occurred this morning and I don't know what to make of it.

As of Thursday, Bodhi has consistently defecated 3 firm (but not hard) stools in the morning. This morning there was only one stool in his litter box. But then I saw a second stool about 6 feet away. And then I noticed a third stool dangling from his anus, just almost out, with a part of the stool sticking to his fur -- he has medium length hair. Also I found a few strands of my hair with his stools.

Would you have any idea why he was not able to eliminate all three stools in his litter box, and what could I do to ease his bowel movements?

Wednesday I had given him about 1/2 tsp of pumpkin puree spread out across his three meals, and then stopped thereafter. As of Thursday noon I have been adding a tiny pinch of slippery elm bark powder (In fact, 1/64 tsp, using a tiny measuring spoon so as not to stick my fingers in the bag, plus I'm always measuring stuff, I'm a bit nerdy this way :)) at each meal--three times a day. At the same time, I've been adding 1/8 tsp of probiotics to his morning and evening meals. Yesterday evening I also gave him 1/64 tsp of Adored Beast phytoplankton ....

Yesterday, late in the evening, he seemed hungry and so I gave him about 1 tbs of tuna water from canned tuna (mercury tested).

Is there something I'm giving him that would have led to this incident this morning? Any insights would be so very much appreciated.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
This is not uncommon, and I think it is actually a positive thing that he is really cleaning out his system! My cat Perry regularly had that issue, but the poops were normal consistency so I never worried about it.

Hair is *supposed* to come out the "back door" and he is doing a great job of that, thanks to the extra fiber.

You probably know my personal fave, so I will recommend one or two good-sized finger-fulls of vaseline a day apart to gather and slide any remaining hair out of the stomach.

Well done, truly!!!

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
BTW I love your nerdy measuring... I am genetically incapable of actually measuring exact amounts in a recipe so I admire you greatly for your precision! 🥰

JoanneDM

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Jean. It is very comforting to receive your input. Hopefully, Bodhi's sphincter will grow stronger after I fully transition him to the raw diet.

About the Vaseline, I would imagine that he will regularly be swallowing my hair ... likely licking my head during the night. I'm wondering if this means that it will be beneficial to then do the Vaseline, two consecutive days, every week or every other week, if I keep seeing strands of my hair coming out with his stools ...

My Mom was like that too, not relying on measuring exact amounts of ingredients, when following her recipes 🥰

Last edited:

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Well look on the bright side... it isn't diarrhea! In my world, nice formed stools are very easy to scoop up and flush. Perry's didn't even smell bad! Over decades with many cats, I've learned to appreciate the little things, lol!

I would think that one dose of vaseline a week would be plenty. You can always adjust if needed.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom