• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Is there any other medication besides Revolution to get rid of fleas for cats? They had side effects last time. :(

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
My 3 cats have started itching for a week now. Only one of them is an indoor/outdoor cat. I treated them for 3 months in a row with Revolution and one of my cats lost her hair around her eye lids and two of them have a receding hairline. They also weren't looking like they were feeling too good when they were on it. Their last treatment was November. I really hate to have to give them Revolution. I also cannot spray them with wondercide because they were feral until September when I rescued them and they will freak out if I try to do this. I also cannot risk a flea infestation. Also, how can I confirm if they have fleas? One of them is itching more than the others, mostly around the face. Thank you so much!!

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Good for you to recognize that Revolution has too many side effects.

A quick read to get you started is at Naturally Treat Dog Fleas in a Few Easy Steps - HolisticActions!

There are so many reason for cats to itch and lose hair that your first step is to know if there are fleas, so great question.

Use a flea comb regularly to detect the fleas or flea feces (stool): dark black, gritty (red when wet, so put some of any dirt you find on a damp smooth cloth) tiny debris. You will often see the flea debris before the fleas themselves. On dogs, you will find it on the back, just in front of the base of the tail. Cats will have it both at the tail base and behind their ears.

The fleas can be found anywhere. On dogs or cats, the area with thin hair on the abdomen will let you see them scurry around. Often they congregate around the neck of cats. Often you will only see the dirt and no fleas.

Buy a great flea comb with the teeth super close together. Buy several so they are in easy reach wherever you and you animals are sitting. Your local holistic pet store should have a good one. The following are a few flea killing methods that work when combing. Fleas are very quick, so either squish them on the comb or swish the comb in a cup of soapy water or alcohol then wipe onto a cloth that is wet with soap or alcohol. Some people have an alcohol or soapy wet piece of cloth to put right on the comb so the flea does not jump off before you get it to the bowl of soapy water.

Let us know if you actually have fleas and is so, have more questions after reading the flea book.

If there are no fleas, then you may need some holistic veterinary help until you learn more.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Anna-

Dr. Christina's great reply and flea book (that Aruna pointed you to) are wonderful places to start!

You might also want to look at some of the great essential oil blends from animalEO which can both soothe their skin as well as repel fleas (no spraying involved):

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
My defense against fleas is: living in Colorado. At this elevation, we don't have big problems with them. The only time I had to deal with fleas was after the previous tenant, who was from Connecticut, left the apartment heavily infested.

But I definitely sympathize with everyone at lower elevations! I once lived down by the beach in California, and fleas were a nightmare! They would just hop in the door right alongside us!

Here's an article I wrote years ago that outlines the "military" strategies fleas employ, and tactics to defend against them: www.onlynaturalpet.com/blogs/holistic-healthcare-library/natural-flea-control-methods
(It hasn't been updated in a long time, but it might spark some ideas for you.)

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom