• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Is it a UTI or in heat or something else

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Blossom, unspayed that has been here for 3 months has been dropping drips of blood for a few days which I thought was from being in heat. Since I have never had a dog unspayed I am unfamiliar what this looks like. Just this evening I found she had peed in the house and now wondering if she could have a UTI or something else besides being in heat. Never had a dog with a UTI drip blood. Or do they have urinary accidents when in heat? Or would this be a uterine problem? Now I am wondering what is going on. I guess I will try and get a sample to take in tomorrow morning. She never went in the house before so if you could weigh in on what you think. Her appetite is good but still a bit clingy. Thanks

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Peeing in the house can indeed be part of the heat process for female pups.

Is her BEAM score below 8?

Is she drinking more?

Yes, a urine sample is a good idea but is likely to be contaminated by blood unless drawn directly from the bladder by needle.

To minimize her stress, ideally catch a mid-stream urine sample to have checked.

@Dr. Sara has had unspayed females and may want to comment further.

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Lil,
As Dr. Jeff points out, it is important to know how Blossom feels overall. A single urinary accident in a female who is normal otherwise is less likely to indicate a problem.

Every female in heat is a little different. In general, they will drip blood for a total of three weeks, with the greatest amount of blood passing in the first two weeks. The middle week is usually the most fertile, though girls can be fertile on the first day of heat or the last day in some instances. It isn't how the signs of heat that determine fertility, it is when the girl ovulates, which can vary widely.

Most females in heat have significant enlargement of the vulva, the conical tissue that is below the rectum. Most females with a UTI have no change in the vulva. Females can be in heat and have a UTI, though it is not common.

Most females in heat urinate more often. This is adaptive, as it advertises that they are in heat to potential mates. As your female has not been in your house long, she may not be totally invested in keeping your house clean, so she urinated in it. Keep her on a leash beside you during this time so that you can take her out at the first sign of restlessness.

Urinary tract infections rarely start with dripping blood alone. There is generally urine urgency and discomfort. It is good to check a urine sample, though a free catch urine is rarely useful, as the contamination from the vulva will include red and white blood cells, which looks similar to an infection. It is possible that a mid-stream sample would be helpful; be sure to wipe Blossom off gently before trying to collect the urine.

It is important to watch your girl closely after her heat for signs of false pregnancy or pyometra. False pregnancy signs (actually more correctly termed false whelping) occur about 2 months after the end of heat and may include mothering toys, nesting, breast enlargement, and even lactation. These signs slowly subside on their own, and appropriate homeopathic prescribing can help if they are troublesome.

Pyometra is a dangerous infection of the uterus, most common in girls over 5 years, usually within a month or two after a heat. It typically causes depression, loss of appetite, increased thirst, and build up of pus in the uterus. Pyometra is a medical emergency. I have successfully treated pyometra in one of my own girls, and we went on to give her an OSS after her uterus was back to normal.

I hope this is helpful!
Happy Holidays,
Dr. Sara

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Dr. Jeff, she hardly drinks. This morning she barely produced much urine but I will take it in. They do not have an in house way to check so will have to wait till tomorrow for results. I guess I don't know how to score the BEAM and should find that on this site. I have a trainer coming this evening. I suppose if the vet wanted to see her, today, he is going on vacation starting tomorrow, but I guess I would have to get her there with eating chicken the whole time. He is only 10 min from me. I just
Dear Lil,
As Dr. Jeff points out, it is important to know how Blossom feels overall. A single urinary accident in a female who is normal otherwise is less likely to indicate a problem.

Every female in heat is a little different. In general, they will drip blood for a total of three weeks, with the greatest amount of blood passing in the first two weeks. The middle week is usually the most fertile, though girls can be fertile on the first day of heat or the last day in some instances. It isn't how the signs of heat that determine fertility, it is when the girl ovulates, which can vary widely.

Most females in heat have significant enlargement of the vulva, the conical tissue that is below the rectum. Most females with a UTI have no change in the vulva. Females can be in heat and have a UTI, though it is not common.

Most females in heat urinate more often. This is adaptive, as it advertises that they are in heat to potential mates. As your female has not been in your house long, she may not be totally invested in keeping your house clean, so she urinated in it. Keep her on a leash beside you during this time so that you can take her out at the first sign of restlessness.

Urinary tract infections rarely start with dripping blood alone. There is generally urine urgency and discomfort. It is good to check a urine sample, though a free catch urine is rarely useful, as the contamination from the vulva will include red and white blood cells, which looks similar to an infection. It is possible that a mid-stream sample would be helpful; be sure to wipe Blossom off gently before trying to collect the urine.

It is important to watch your girl closely after her heat for signs of false pregnancy or pyometra. False pregnancy signs (actually more correctly termed false whelping) occur about 2 months after the end of heat and may include mothering toys, nesting, breast enlargement, and even lactation. These signs slowly subside on their own, and appropriate homeopathic prescribing can help if they are troublesome.

Pyometra is a dangerous infection of the uterus, most common in girls over 5 years, usually within a month or two after a heat. It typically causes depression, loss of appetite, increased thirst, and build up of pus in the uterus. Pyometra is a medical emergency. I have successfully treated pyometra in one of my own girls, and we went on to give her an OSS after her uterus was back to normal.

I hope this is helpful!
Happy Holidays,
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, thank you for your award winning reply!! I am listening to your course and learning all I can. Thank you for the what to look fors in terms of normal and problematic. I did take in a urine sample today but they send it out. I guess I did it all wrong. I just tried to catch anything fast as I can as there was not much room for the pie plate with her vulva hanging down. I did not wipe it. When I was catching the sample she was looking back there and did not produce much. So today was an interesting day. A friend came over who had not seen her since she was adopted. She barked and had her tail tucked and kept nudging for petting. The second visitor today was her trainer--wow, he really was good and explained the above behavior as she was protecting her lady parts with the tail while accepting the petting and seemingly enjoying it. The trainer said that she could be having some abdominal cramping when I asked why she was barking constantly at him and also said it was due to her being in heat. She seemed to really enjoy the training and was dog tired when done. I learned quite a bit. He said Blossom may also have been responding to his testosterone--he is a young trainer but trains police dogs. Blossom is dripping more blood today. So it sounds like dogs have some emotional ramifications with these heat cycles. She is more clingy and protective. You mention about mothering their toys. Blossom has done that since I offered her plushies a few months ago but no other signs. We did think she had a litter and she was maybe used for breeding as the trainer used some maneuver he said is sometimes used to push her nose down and she reacted. He thought the car anxiety was that it was just all new to her and she was probably just kept in a cage. She does get very anxious as if over stimulated. He did not think her anxiety was fear over going back to the shelter. I do fear the pyometra thing. My vet said he had operated on a dog once that had this and it was a "mess". The formula Dr. Jeff recommended is on its way so I guess I will give her that when it comes. I hope it is safe to bring her to the vet clinic with other dogs or should we use the back door and ask for an appt when they are not busy? I am hoping to get Blossom to the vet soon as my vet gets back from vacation. The trainer thought she would do well at the vets. So how long do you have to wait after a heat to spay or do the OSS surgery. I have not made up my mind yet on which one but I do not like the hormonal effect or the dripping blood. The trainer said that other dogs would be attracted to her with the OSS which I do not want the problem on walks. Thank you for the education as always not only informative but entertaining as well :) , an enjoyable read.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I got the urinalysis results taken for Blossom yesterday. There was no bacteria seen but I was concerned about the following and wanted to know what you think:
Clarity: Cloudy
Specific Gravity: 1.054
PH 5.5
WBC 0-2
RBC 0-2
Epithelial Cells 1+

Even my JJ who had kidney problems had a higher PH and better specific gravity and his urine was always clear. So doesn't Blossom look too acidic among other things. She hardly ever drinks water and does not really urinate that much volume.l What should I follow up on if anything. Thanks

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Lil,
This specific gravity is fine, as is the acidic pH. A high specific gravity is common in dogs who don't drink much. It can be helpful to add water or broth to the food to increase fluid intake, as some dogs will act like concentrated urine stings. Most don't have any discomfort from concentrated urine, but it can occur. The low pH occurs with a meat based diet and is fine. The pH will fluctuate through the day, depending on how recently a dog (or person) has eaten, and what they have eaten. The cells present are all fine as well. Girls shed LOTS of epithelial cells during estrus!

Either an OSS or full spay should be done midway between heat cycles. That is typically three months after the end of the heat. There are definite benefits to the female to keeping her hormones. However, it has to be a decision that will fit with your lifestyle, and only you can determine that! An OSS female can not become pregnant, and she will not drip blood during her heat. OSS girls also seem to be much less attractive to males as there is less tantalizing female juice being slathered about. However, in all other ways OSS girls will look and act intact.
Stay well,
Dr. Sara

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Sara for answering my questions. I have an appointment with the Reproductive vet on Jan 2nd so this information helps with being able to understand more the context he will be covering. I totally believe in the benefit of hormones for people and now pets. I do know it takes the conventional medical community for the most part years to catch up. I would hope that I could avoid urinary problems or thyroid problems with her if she has the OSS. Every dog I have had needed thyroid meds which I hate dosing twice a day as it does mess up the "fasting" that is beneficial, having to pill them with food. Also after having been through a dog with hemangio, if I could lower the risk of that monster, I would. I can usually adapt to something if I feel it is best for my dog. I still have the brain plasticity to be neurologically ABLE to do this... :)) Today my handyman was here and she greeted him so nicely and calmly after her training yesterday . She was NOT protecting her, as the trainer called them, her "lady parts" either. I was very pleased with her. She is a sweet dog and every day I am happy I saved her life from being put in a garbage bag.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Blossom has been peeing in the house about the same time, same spot since she started her heat cycle Now we know it is not a UTI so I guess it is behaviour associated with this heat cycle. Tomorrow she will eat right over the spot she pees in since the No Marking spray is not working. If this is related to her heat cycles, It is another check mark for getting her spayed. I would love to catch her in the act. Right now she is in the dog house so to say.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Sorry, but I would hate to see you trade a little pee in the house, once every six or eight months, easily contained with panties, a crate, or an expen, in exchange for a lifetime of impairment of life-preserving hormones. Besides, there's no assurance she will pee after she is OSS'd; it does change the hormones to a certain degree, and we don't know how that will play out with her.
Playing with punitive or incomprehensible methods like trying to force her to eat over the spot makes no sense, to her, or to any reasonable behaviorist. "No marking" sprays, which hardly ever work, are meant for males marking territory. A female is leaving a message for any males around - a different motivation. She has NO idea why she is in the doghouse, and in any case will not "reason" it out; she cannot help herself, so you must find a way to deal wtih the "symptom".This is NOT a trainable behavior, as is normal house "breaking". What seems reasonable to you is incomprehensible to her.

This sort of behavior is part of the natural world. It is commonly dealt with by altering, as with virtually all farm animals, beasts of burden - and most folks' pets. There is always a slight-to-severe inconvenience dealing with intact animals. But an OSS in a dog is the least difficult. I hope you take the challenge it presents. She's a good girl - but she IS a girl.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Thank goodness no other males in the house.... There would be a peeing contest. Most male dogs I have had did pee in the house, marking. The peeing just blindsided me. If I had known from the get go that this is what she could possibly do I wouldn't be so reactive. I did not know she would be dripping blood either but one day I just thought I was spilling my wine!! So when I know what is coming then it is better for her and me both. Dr. Sara mentioned to take her out more so I have definitely done that today. I am still deliberating on what procedure to do with her. I do not want a problem on walks with other male dogs, and there are loose ones off leash in my neighborhood whose owners should know better and of course they never pick up either. This is all just new to me. I am sure that now I know what life would look like during these cycles it would be easier going forward and get used to it. Like my father would say: If you hang long enough you get used to THAT too. He is right, corny as he was, that familiarity breeds acceptance in many cases. So she did NOT pee today in that spot but she knows I am watching. I go back and forth I have known dogs, even my own that lived a long life spayed or neutered with no real disease process till they died. I do believe 100 percent in the need for people and animals to have their hormones for life though but many dogs live beyond life span without them. JJ was neutered at 7. Gabby was spayed at 2 ... Both lived to 15 1/2 Blossom is a sweet girl for sure. OK so will let her out of the doghouse (actually she got all the perks today she usually gets so I don't think she felt any different.)
Thanks Ginny, you know I always love your opinion even if it comes in the way of a well deserved spanking.:)

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I have been taking Blossom out to pee about every couple hours. She has not marked in the house for a couple days so that is good. But I noticed a wet spot on her bed after having taken her out only 2 hours earlier. Yet the vet says no infection. She is also licking some parts back there, not sure what she is licking. The blood spotting seems to be slowing down or gone but is her urinary frequency a part of this. She was able to go 5 hours during the day without me taking her out before her heat,and she is ok at night for about 8 hours. I was just wondering if this kind of urinary frequency, going out every couple hours was typical and if so why do they need to go out more during this time. Thank you!

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Just maybe it's not pee, or not ONLY pee, but also diminished capacity because of swelling from the hormones. Or, she licked the bed. Her tongue is big and floppy compared to her vulva, and it would be easy to overlap. But in any case, bitch panties would obviate this whole issue. How about a folded towel on her bed? How about some plastic wrap under her towel or blanket?
This, too, shall pass...and will not be a problem ever again with an OSS.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Just maybe it's not pee, or not ONLY pee, but also diminished capacity because of swelling from the hormones. Or, she licked the bed. Her tongue is big and floppy compared to her vulva, and it would be easy to overlap. But in any case, bitch panties would obviate this whole issue. How about a folded towel on her bed? How about some plastic wrap under her towel or blanket?
This, too, shall pass...and will not be a problem ever again with an OSS.
I'm just not sure anymore it is the heat cycle or simple marking. Tonight she ate at 6:30 and I took her out twice after that and at 9:30 she peed a flood, not just a little marking. I have not had a chance to get the diaper for her yet but I guess I will have to do it tomorrow. Diapering a girl dog as I said is a new "skill" for me to learn. I would like something easy to put on and take off since she goes out every couple hours. So I will investigate The trainer was here today and he said that she is feeling "comfortable" here and thinks the house is hers now. I did have a male dog in the past who started this after a month being here. I threw out the rubber mat at the front door where she is going on but now she will probably just go on the tile even though I used an enzyme cleaner on it. The trainer said she was grumpy and felt her mood was the heat cycle. She kept barking at him to get the treat and trying to bite him like she did last week. Anyway, I did the urinalysis and there seemed to be no problem, but she flooded today after having gone out twice after dinner. I am admittedly confused because I thought spaying dogs can leave them incontinent but this dog is not spayed and has her hormones and is incontinent. If she has to go more than every couple hours then maybe something else is wrong.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Hey, she's a baby...Do you know if this is her first heat cycle? It's really hard to figure out a girl's pattern; they're all a bit different as to intensity and timing of various manifestations.
You know she's not sick, so why not just take a deep breath and stick a diaper on her? This, too, shall pass...
Don't draw comparisons to male dogs, altered or not - because there aren't any. She has her own patterns, and if she's bitchy, well, that's only natural.
Bitch panties, from any decent-sized pet store, are not diapers, and are easy to put on. You might want two, so you can wash one.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom