• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Introducing Gabby w Low albumin, total protein and bilious vomit

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Hello this is our first post so some background. Gabby is almost 14 y/o Shar Pei mix. Had her since she was 2. Has had increasing bilious vomiting over the years from a couple times a year to a few times a month or some months none at all. Lately here in December, she did it 7 times and already 3 times in January. Her thyroid dose was increased in December (although it was already in the normal range) because the vet thought that maybe the low protein and albumin might go up with increased thyroid. She is 61 lbs and he wanted me to give her .6 twice a day. She was on .2 twice a day when her levels were normal. I increased the thyroid to .4 twice a day and the vomiting started to increase. (4 times in 10 days) Backed it down to .4 in the am and .2 in the PM and she went a week without vomiting but then she vomited again a couple times and put her back on the .2 dose twice a day. Gabby had a functional thyroid tumor that produced high thyroid hormones, non cancer, removed in November 2019 so at that time she was HYPERthyroid. Now after the removal she went HYPOthyroid.
Gabby's Albumin is now(2.2) and Total Protein (4.1) They have been trending down since Feb 2020. On Oct 30th the levels were Albumin 2.4 and Protein 4. So the levels dropped quite a bit in 6 wks. Globulin and cholesterol are ok for now. Urine Protein Creatinine Ratio was ok. Vit D was insufficient at 97 (normal is 100-150), Inflammation is moderate 11.3 (VDI Lab)
Just this week she started having some diarrhea. Started Colostrum last week.... She poops a lot daily (3-4 times) So far only about 1 poop is loose. Just sent in a sample to Animalbiome but at that time she had no diarrhea. Notice the poop is more yellow after the bilious episodes. Her approach to eating also is starting to make me wonder. Usually she knows when I am putting her bowl down and now she just kind of looks but doesn't move right away to the bowl. Slow to get started but then licks her bowl and the other dogs. Loves long walks and runs and plays. She gags after drinking and sometimes regurgitates. She eats a raw diet Primal. When her blood levels dropped was when I switched to Answers. I switched back to Primal. I also top with gently cooked bison, beef that includes some organ meat on occasion. Also gets sardines sometimes and just started salmon or cod (cooked in coconut oil) last week. She gets fish oil and a lot of supplements. She has been vaxed at 2 and gets titers. Do not use flea/ tick or heartworm meds. Never did. Recent stool sample was neg for parasites. Questions: Could she have a stomach infection (she chews a bone occasionally), Is fat bad for her? I usually juice veggies for her, are those irritating to the intestine? She has had that for years and never any diarrhea. She gets acupuncture and a B12 shot when she goes and lately a homeopathic shot of zeel and traumeel. she is happy and playful but with the way she doesn't run to her food bowl like she did last week concerns me. I was going to try using Nux Vomica and Gatruccomeel for the vomiting but it will be difficult since she doesn't let me in her mouth and runs away!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome to HA! Lil and fantastic that Gabby has made it to (almost) 14 without any Shar Pei Fever events! You've done an amazing job with building and preserving her vitality with your varied raw food feeding, sniff walks and keeping her happy in all ways.

Wonderful work!

Here are my thoughts about your questions:

1. She is unlikely to have a stomach infection from chewing raw bones. In fact, if she loves doing this, you may want to let her chew even more!

2. No. Fat has gotten a bad rap and can actually be quite good for her. Tho personally I find that cooked animal fats, such as in cooked meats, can be problematic for some pups.

3.The juiced veggies should be quite good for her although they may not be totally absorbed and digested. Veggies of any sort can be tough for some pups to handle, but it sounds like Gabby has been doing well with them.

Regarding the Traumeel, Nux, acupuncture, etc. it might be best for you to consult with an integrative vet homeopath to help you keep her happy and healthy.

Homeopathic medicines can be given easily in liquid form by letting her lick a few drops off a saucer. Or if she will let you lift her lip, just touch a wet (from the remedy solution) Q-tip to her gums. That's all the dose she needs.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom