• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Hypothyroidism and possible side effects of soloxine in a 13 year old dog

cindypinera

VIP Member
Registered
I was consulted regarding an older dog that is taking soloxine for hypothyroidism. Apparently a side effect of this medication for Lucy Loo is rapid breathing. In my research of soloxine it seems that the maximum dosage would be 1 mg. This dog is getting 3 mg. I know that Dr. Dodds says that thyroid medicine should not be stopped. What are your thoughts regarding the information below? Should the dosage be decreased? Should glandular supplements be added? Should a homeopathic remedy be used to address the medicine's side effect of rapid breathing and odd muscle tone?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My Lucy Loo is around 13 or 14 years old. She was a rescue. She is spayed. She already had hypothyroidism when I got her, so I've been giving her Soloxine pills for years! Hoping, I might be able to get her off those pills. The Vet last did a CBC-T-4 in July last year. I don't have the bloodwork, but could ask for it, and send it to you.

I was a vet tech years ago, and worked at a holistic pet food store(Auggie's Doggies), so Lucy eats a quality diet(Fromm dry & Weruva or Koha Pure Shreds canned) or home-cooked. I have done a raw diet with her, in the past, but that gets expensive! So I go back and forth between home-cooked and dry food with canned to go with it. I also add a vitamin/antioxidant supplement to her diet. She also receives an organic hip & joint supplement. She gets 3mg of Soloxine a day.

She is fine otherwise, except that the Soloxine speeds up her breathing, of course, which has always bothered me. She is overweight, and some odd muscle tone around her abdomen - the Vet has associated that with her hypothyroidism.

As I stated, my hope would be to make her final years as drug-free as possible.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Cindy Pinera

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Hey Cindy, good to see you.
The best, with the number of symptoms she has would be to work with a veterinary homeopath. It is usually easy, with the right series of remedies, to get them off soloxine.

In the meantime, please stop all dry food. Home made food should cost you 1/3 of a high quality canned food, since parts of the prey that Americans do not eat can be less expensive - heart, tongue, tripe, etc, though harder, sometimes, to find. Once you have your local source you are on the right path. Wild game processors and hunters you know are also a source of meat.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hiya Cindy-

Yes, that is a high dose. Perhaps first check that Lucy Loo is getting 3mg (rather than 0.3mg).

About how much does Lucy weigh?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom