• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

Hypothyroid results for dog and iodine alternative to meds

BijouK

Community Member
Registered
Nyxie Age 11 Female Unspayed White bully mix/Dogo? 45lbs BEAM great although she is content sleeping a lot too.
Same as Nitro's IBD/S vegan diet to avoid cross contamination. Some Kangaroo. Plenty of organic human foods & superfoods. Org peanut butter in Kong.
Rabies 3 yrs ago (waiting for titers) Toxic free home and living in the woods with the exception of carpeting.
1-2 drops iodine starting this week, MyCommunity Host Defense, had Doxycycline for Lyme's June 2021.
Requested full panel thyroid and found looks good except cTSH 0.56 Please see attached.
She gets cold very easily since getting Lyme's Does not jump up well anymore.Her ability to jump on the bed or into the car has changed quite a bit and not returned since Lyme's. Not sure if it's age/arthritis/weight etc. Tail gland is slightly inflamed.

I have Hashimoto's and following Dr David Brownstein's book using iodine therapy. It's helped me a lot. I've begun adding 1-2 drops to Nyxies food.
I'd like to hear if anyone else uses iodine and avoid prescriptions. My last dog was same breed, severely vaccine injured and on meds. I'm having trouble giving her small doses without food and also unsure of dosage for her weight. Please advise. Thank you
@DrJeff we have an appt on Oct 3rd but just trying to understand what I can do this week etc.

Screen Shot 2024-09-24 at 11.32.53 AM.png

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'd like to hear if anyone else uses iodine and avoid prescriptions.
Not me. But Dr. Sarah Myhill's webinar in your HA! member are discusses the use of iodine a bit.

The high cTSH should be normal by the next time you repeat these thyroid tests. All else looks good. Do you have any prior thyroid test results for comparison?

BijouK

Community Member
Registered
I'll look her up. I've never run a thyroid on her before.
Thank you very much Dr Jeff!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
In dogs, most hypothyroidism is due to autoimmune destruction of the thyroid. Adding iodine might help the remaining tissue function better, at least for a while. Definitely worth a try!

For sure, no vaccines in the future, since that is what creates the autoantibodies that destroy the thyroid cells, according to work done at Purdue University.

BijouK

Community Member
Registered
In dogs, most hypothyroidism is due to autoimmune destruction of the thyroid. Adding iodine might help the remaining tissue function better, at least for a while. Definitely worth a try!

For sure, no vaccines in the future, since that is what creates the autoantibodies that destroy the thyroid cells, according to work done at Purdue University.
Thank you for that info.

NancyK

Community Member
Registered
I have read many articles and watched several seminars by Jean Dodds who is an authority on thyroid problems in dogs. One thing she cautions about is supplementation with iodine, unless there is an actual iodine deficiency which is very rare if the dog is eating a commercial dog food. I guess it could happen with homemade. Anyway, per Dr. Dodds most thyroid issues are autoimmune in nature and not related to iodine deficiency. She has many good articles out there. Here is one of them. She notes that excessive amounts of iodine can actually cause hypothyroidism, the very thing we are trying to prevent. And she advises people who are feeding a commercial diet to avoid feeding any products with kelp such as Proden Plaqueoff or similar.

I know people with thyroid issues that have managed to get off their thyroid medicines. One thing they did is to eliminate cruciferous vegetables from the diet which actually prevent the absorption of iodine. Therefore, looking at the diet and determining what foods are affecting the thyroid could also be helpful.

Is kelp the cure-all for canine thyroid conditions?

Key takeaway...

In terms of dogs, kelp supplementation will only work as intended if the dog has an iodine deficiency, which is highly unlikely. The majority of dogs that become hypothyroid suffer from inherited autoimmune thyroiditis (like Hashimoto’s lymphocytic thyroiditis in people), which has nothing to do with iodine deficiency. Further, excessive iodine supplementation can result in the overproduction of the T4 and T3 in dogs and cats, which triggers unintended cascading effects: in dogs, the immune system may wind up attacking the thyroid gland (producing excessive amounts of thyroglobulin autoantibody) which end up suppressing thyroid levels and causing the very hypothyroidism it was meant to prevent; whereas in cats, the overdosing can result in overt hyperthyroidism.

Nancy

BijouK

Community Member
Registered
Thank you. I've spoken with Jean many years ago and she's definitely on the forefront of the thyroid issues as far as anyone I've ever heard of, however I have Hashimoto's and I'm following the protocol by by Dr. David Brownstein and he refutes this even with animals that there is this misconception that iodine is harmful or that we are getting too much, because doctors often get alarmed by by the TSH levels when taking iodine that get artificially elevated but then drop down to normal after about 6 months even in Hashimoto's patients.

His book is titled Iodine Why We Need It; Why We Can't Live Without It.
This is an interview with him speaking on the subject I found very enlightening.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
This is an interview with him speaking on the subject I found very enlightening.
Me too! Thanks so much for sharing it Bijou.

NancyK

Community Member
Registered
Thank you. I've spoken with Jean many years ago and she's definitely on the forefront of the thyroid issues as far as anyone I've ever heard of, however I have Hashimoto's and I'm following the protocol by by Dr. David Brownstein and he refutes this even with animals that there is this misconception that iodine is harmful or that we are getting too much, because doctors often get alarmed by by the TSH levels when taking iodine that get artificially elevated but then drop down to normal after about 6 months even in Hashimoto's patients.

His book is titled Iodine Why We Need It; Why We Can't Live Without It.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I do research on recommendations but in the end go with whatever works!

Nancy

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom