• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

How to determine amount to feed? By weight? Ideal weight? What's on the label?

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Below is a PM message exchange (with slight modifications) between Dr. Jeff and I. He suggested I post here as these may be useful for others on the Forum:

[Some background: Hope is a 12yo Schnoodle whose current weight is 14lbs - she needs to loose 3 to 4 pounds; she's not super active (i.e. outdoor activities/running). She does get sniff walk once per day in addition to getting stroller rides; She gets 2-3 snuffle sessions at home, for about at least 40 minutes each session. I was feeding her a total of 3oz of protein blend + 1 egg a day, in addition to the treats (air dried, freeze dried) she gets during snuffle sessions.]

//

Me:

Hi Dr. Jeff -

After our last appointment, I looked into SmallBatch food for Hope as you recommended it. I then reached out to them inquiring how much each slider weights. They indicated it's 1oz per slider. And out of curiosity, I asked them how much they would recommend feeding to a 14lb-dog that needs to lose a few pounds - they said 5oz per day!!!! They also mentioned that if I only feed 2oz per day (which you suggested) with other treats, Hope may not be getting all the nutrients she needs. Also, treats shouldn't comprise more than about 15-20% of daily food source. What are your thoughts on that?

My questions are:
1) When I mentioned the 3oz food Hope gets per day, it's 3oz of pure protein (when feeding raw, NOT when feeding premade gently cooked foods) - that is, it's 3oz before I added green juju, blueberries, broth and supplements - when you said feeding less than 3oz, did you mean just protein or all together?
2) If I feed Hope SmallBatch sliders, how much sliders should I give her per day? I noticed their protein content is in the range of 70+% to 80+% - some commented that it's not very high.
2) Re SmallBatch, would you also recommend other proteins (in addition to beef), particularly duck, rabbit, lamb and turkey?

That is it for now :)

Thank you!

//

Dr. Jeff's response:

1. All together (and NOT based on just the general recommendations on the bag).

2. Probably just 2 or 3 sliders + egg, and snuffle treats (based on her being ~14 pounds).

3. Yes I would. Variety is the spice of life! However the amount you vary depends on what she loves the most, her bowels, BEAM, etc.

BTW-I realized that my super active ~10 lb. Aviva only gets 1 patty 2-3x/day. Much less than what the bag says.

Always feed by her relative weight (e.g. is she over, under or just right) not by #s like exact weight or # of ounces of food.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for re-posting this here Christine!

It's super important to always look at the individual when deciding how much to feed. General feeding guidelines work for some pets and not others.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom