• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

How long before constipation for my cat is a serious concern/i am out of town until Friday night (10th)

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
How long is it safe for a cat to be constipated before it becomes a serious concern? I am currently out of town, and it appears that my cat, Junior, has not had a bowel movement in 3 days (since Monday, August 5th). He is an indoor/outdoor cat, so I am unsure if he might have gone longer without a bowel movement. He has been quarantined indoors since I left on Monday, and I won’t be back until Friday.

My other indoor cat, Jinxie, recently tested positive for Giardia. Both cats are siblings, 3 1/2 years old, and were formerly feral. They’ve lived with me for three years. Junior was initially an indoor/outdoor cat, then stayed indoors only for two years, and has been going in and out for the past six months.

When I return on Friday, I plan to check for a bowel movement and have it tested for Giardia. In the meantime, my cat sitter is monitoring the litter boxes and hopefully will see Junior have a bowel movement before I get back.

Both of my cats, Junior and Jinxie, are on a bland diet, primarily eating chicken baby food until I return. They both have an appetite.

Could it be that Junior is stressed out because he has been quarantined and I’m out of town? He loves being outside and always cries for me to let him out when I’m home. Right now, I’m not there for him to complain to.

Is it dangerous for Junior to go without a bowel movement for five days? Can he wait until I return on Friday? Are there any natural supplements or remedies that can be given in the meantime?

I’ve been working with Dr. Judy Herman with my cat Jinxie, treating her symptoms of loss of appetite, diarrhea, and hiding. The homeopathic remedy helped because she’s doing better overall except still has some diarrhea. I’m giving you this information so that you have all the details needed for Junior and Jinxie since they are siblings and live together.

Thank you, 🙏🏼 @Dr. jeff @Dr. Christina @Dr. Jean Hofve

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
How long is it safe for a cat to be constipated before it becomes a serious concern?
Great question Anna! I've seen cats go well over a week without pooping!

Could it be that Junior is stressed out
Yes!

Can he wait until I return on Friday?
Yes!
Are there any natural supplements or remedies that can be given in the meantime?
If you happen to have them in the house, maybe a bit of milk or cream.

Enjoy your time away this week. Everything will be fine Anna. Relax and have fun (the cats would want it for you)!! 😻 😻 😻

AnnaH

Community Member
Registered
Great question Anna! I've seen cats go well over a week without pooping!

Yes!

Yes!

If you happen to have them in the house, maybe a bit of milk or cream.

Enjoy your time away this week. Everything will be fine Anna. Relax and have fun (the cats would want it for you)!! 😻 😻 😻
You always put my mind at ease, @Dr. jeff. Thank you!!! I will be more present on my vacation.

Quick question, if Junior won’t drink straight cream or milk, is it okay to add some to his food?

Thank you!

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Baby food is almost pure protein and fat... it is nearly all digested and absorbed, so there won't be much poop created from it. It's unlikely he's actually constipated, more that he's just mostly empty. Unless the sitter sees him straining in the box, I don't think there's a problem.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom