• Your logins to the main site and to this support forum are NOT the same. To get access to this forum, you must be a ALL-ACCESS member (register here). You will receive login information the day you register. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please use the Contact us form. First time posting? Watch this video and Follow this posting guide

High glucose concern for cats

Christie

All Access Member
Hello.

I know that cats shouldn’t have too much sweet stuff and I often wonder if my cats are getting too much. One cat (1 yo litter of 3) was a pound heavier than her sisters pretty much all year long, but is stable now. They were all also on Liquid Immuno (fructose) and Hawaii Pharms Respiratory Relief (glycerin) to battle herpes all year (now contained). Here’s their daily food:

a few wild blueberries a day
Vimergy b12 - 1 drop each (glycerin)
Vimergy zinc - 2 drops each (glycerin, apple juice)
Darwin’s chicken or turkey raw
Sometimes a sardines can
Once in a while teaspoon of pumpkin, to move things along

I am remembering that a high protein /fat diet (with some sugar) leads to diabetic probs, as it does with humans (medical medium, maybe others too, info).

i also remember the heavier one having high cholesterol the last time we checked. Something to be concerned about at all?

I wonder if I should just get a quick blood test to ease my mind.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Christie

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sure, a blood glucose test is an easy way to calm your worries by ruling out hyperglycemia (high blood sugar). You can even do one at home:

It is actually high carbohydrate, and not protein, that predisposes some kitties to diabetes. Especially if they eat dry food, are very overweight or are inactive which doesn't apply to any of your beautiful kitties (would share a pic with us?).

Your diet and supplements sound fine to me. But maybe @Dr. Sue @Dr. Christina or @Dr. Sara have other thoughts about it.

BTW-High cholesterol on lab work is usually not any issue for a kitty and often reflects how long they fasted prior to the bloodwork.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Also Christie. Your member area will shortly have the new diabetes resource guide with lots more info.

Dr. Jean

Veterinarian
Just popping in here... of course, the reason carbs are a problem is because the body rapidly breaks them down to simple sugars, thereby creating a blood glucose spike. Complex carbs take a little longer to digest but still cause the same issue. Protein can also raise blood glucose because the body can use it as a substrate to create glucose. This is why protein is limited in true "ketogenic" diets. But this only occurs if the body needs more glucose, which is unlikely given his current diet. Glycerin is a sugar, but it's said not to affect blood glucose. However, this is controversial and there is evidence disputing that claim. I'd probably be a little more comfortable without the supplement in apple juice, since that is pretty much pure, instantly absorbed glucose (especially in the absence of a documented zinc deficiency). I tend to discourage supplementation of single nutrients without evidence of need. The bottom line is that monitoring blood glucose at home will tell you what you need to know; but given his base diet, it's unlikely that anything there is causing a significant problem.

Christie

All Access Member
Here’s an update
I sent back the kit ... I just couldn’t do it.. but
Vet Labs came back great! Glucose was 92 (and high I think is 180).
Punky is just fine! ?‍♀️

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Members online

Latest posts

Top Bottom