• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Herding Dog - Limping

ShaunaK

Registered
Hi there,

So my 7 year old herding dog (about 50 pounds) has had a few issues in her right front leg. Last July she got a fox tail stuck in there and it had to be surgically removed. It took a couple weeks to heal and she was fine again for about a month. Out of nowhere, on the same leg as the foxtail she started limping. At first the vet thought it was an infection left over from the fox tail, so we had her on meds but the limp didn't go away. From there we x-rayed her front wrist where the injury seemed to be coming from but it showed no fracture or break. I was told to get her an MRI to see if there was some sort of ligament tear or deep tissue injury but those cost $3K to $5K. I've put her on dog arnica and it definitely has helped. She still slightly limps if we walk at a faster pace so I know its still there.

Any idea of supplements or therapies that could help her? I'm about to start her on acupuncture.

Thanks!
Shauna

@Dr. Jeff @Dr. Jean Hofve @Dr. Christina

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Acupuncture could do the trick, if the vet is treating the whole imbalance, not merely sticking in needles for that spot. See how holistic they are in general.

Have you taken the 101 class? Be sure you are following your instincts from those lessons to maximize vitality and balance to support the acupuncture. I would not leap to doing a lot of different supplements - focus on happiness and joy.

Did you check out the joints and lyme disease (not that it is lyme, but that has some ideas for lameness) files in the library (under resources) so you have some additional ideas if they are needed.

And be sure to enter what has happened and any treatments done in the journal.

IMO, there is no need at this point for more testing. Do read the article on selecting a veterinarian to help you evaluate your new acupuncture vet (maybe she's not new).

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Shauna!

I'm sorry about your pup's limp. :confused:

In addition to Dr. Christina's great suggestions, you may want to check out this light energy therapy tool (I'm looking at mine right now!):

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
And I'll jump in to say that I think she's got this covered:) There is probably some tissue trauma from all the fooling around, but that should heal without further intervention. Some gentle massage, full of good intention, and perhaps some heat on the limb... Don't fuss too much; just visualize her strong and all healed up.

Not everything needs our intervention, ya know...they know what to do.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom