• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Help Osteoarthritis in Dogs and Cats by Using an Assisi Loop

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow! I just got off another great webinar sponsored by Assisi Animal Health. They make the great vitality-balancing tool that you can use at home.The Assisi Loop.

The webinar focused on the detection and remote diagnosis, monitoring and treatment of arthritic pain in dogs and cats.

The esteemed presenter from NC State University started the session by sharing his opinion that pet parents are best suited to help their animals, and their sometimes subtle symptoms. I think I speak for all the faculty here at HA! wholeheartedly agree!

Dr. Lascelles then discussed how arthritic pain is reflected by more than limping. Any changes in behavior, energy, appetite or mood can show that there is a problem.

He then explained how the pathologic changes of osteoarthritis are not the same as "arthritis". The dis-ease is just a description of the individual animal's response to the physical changes.

For example, the internal changes, such as Marty's elevated pancreatic enzymes as described by @Gene&Janet, are not necessarily the health challenge. It is the body's reaction to the internal dis-ease (imbalance) tat results in symptoms and may create a challenge. The degree of dis-ability depends on the level of overall health (my words, not his).

Dogs, and especially cats, with hip dysplasia are one well-known example.

One pet may be crippled by arthritic symptoms yet have minimal changes in the hips that can be seen on x-rays. But another may have severe changes on x-rays but minimal or no symptoms.

Another dis-connect between tests, like x-rays, and quality of life symptom changes is seen in older cats with osteoarthritic changes who may only have very subtle BEAM changes. These can often not be seen by vets in the clinic and are detected by pet parents at home.

The rest of the webinar discussed various methods to help pets with arthritic symptoms using a stepwise approach.

This starts with diet, weight loss and exercise. Dr. Lascelles emphasized keeping pets with joint symptoms on the lean side. He also discussed the research documented importance of calorie restriction both for prevention and treatment of arthritis.

He also finds physical therapy and continued use of the joints to be especially helpful.

Pet physical therapist Dr. Toracca shared a great webinar with us about simple exercises to help pets with mobility challenges (log in at the main site to access it).

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom