• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Grooming Question--Dog Shampoo

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Not sure I put this is the correct category!

I've been wanting to ask about a good shampoo for Reyah, my dog, that doesn't have essential oils in it or anything else that would interfere with homeopathic remedies.

Can anyone recommend one? Reyah get's groomed every eight weeks and I bathe her in between. She has fleas although I am finally able to say they are moving out! She also scratches a lot and I've been noticing dandruff-like flakes. She also has been living with cancer for about 4 years. Dr. Jeff guides her treatment.

Thanks!

jsqueglia

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Kristen,
Thanks for posting. You have reminded me of the essential oil issue when using homeopathic remedies. My most favorite shampoo has always been Only Natural Pet's Herbal Shampoo's and they all have essential oils )-;
I have an American Eskimo Dog that I show in Breed Conformation. A shampoo that was recently recommended to me was Pure Paws H2O www.purepaws.net Website took me a minute to navigate. But...
They have several lines and a quick check of the ingredients shows extracts but no essential oils. It is a professional line of shampoos and one of the reviews says the customer service is excellent should you have questions. Most of the ingredients look okay but some of the common questionable cosmetic ingredients are listed like Sodium lauryl(and laureth)sulfate are in the list. There is also a tab for their products Safety Data Sheets. Which may be helpful and I am sure Dr Jeff can help you determine the products safety.
The shampoo and its results came to me highly recommended.
Great job with Reyah! She is so lucky to have you!
Hope this helps.
Jackie

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you so much Jackie -- I'll check out purepaws.net.

Can anyone else comment? Dr. Jeff? Dr. Christina? Jen Oppenheim?

Thanks!

jsqueglia

All-Access Member
Registered
I would also look at EZ Groom. They are enzymatic shampoo's. I use the Crystal white occasionally on my Eskie's. They also have a Crystal Gold for colors.
Premier Shampoo by EQyss Grooming Products is another one. I have a groomer friend that loves that one. Unfortunately, they almost always have a fragrance added. Not sure if that is bad.
I always try to go organic and botanical etc but until you brought this to my attention , I never realized all the natural shampoos use essential oils.

So my question is... are there essential oils to definitely avoid like eucalyptus, mints, menthols, citrus etc. but others that are not so bad like lavender, rose, neroli etc. ??
I wonder this for myself as well as I am on a remedy as well per my Naturopath. I am already super careful when preparing remedies for my dogs.
Great question Kristen. You have me thinking and researching as well.
Jackie

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for the additional resource Jackie. I looked through all of my Empower Hour notes and found a reference to Zen Shampoos, so that's another one to check out.

I believe Dr. Christina has said it's the strong aroma that is the concern. That leads me to think it all oils could interfere with the remedies.

Thanks again, we'll keep looking and learning!

Kristen

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hiya Kristen-

There are many, many good general shampoos in addition to many other for dogs (some cats) with dry skin, seborrhea, etc.

Despite this, I am still using therapeutic vet ones that are not all natural, but they work well.

HyLyt shampoo and Vet Solutions are two most common brands that I use.

I love the ZenDog shampoos (and ear treatments) made with Willard water.

Even just plain lavender Dr. Bronner's soap works well.

Yes, the potential problem with using essential oils concurrently with homeopathy would be the strong smell.

As you said, I bet @jenbridwell has other suggestions.

Dr. Jeff

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Liz -- Earthbath looks really good. Ingredients and non-ingredients both listed and it's sold locally. I can get it this week.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
4-Legger offers wonderful organic dog shampoos! They have unscented ones too if you want to avoid essential oils.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom