• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Glaucoma in Shih tzu

AthenaO

VIP Member
Registered
Hi my name is Athena and my dog Theo is 8 and has been diagnosed with Glaucoma several years ago. I was given 2 sets of drops from the Vet ..Latanaprost and Cyclosporine and he is progressively getting worse. I took him to a Holistic Vet near me and gave him Canine Hepatic Support and Cyruta Plus which made no improvement as well. He is fed The Honest Kitchen Veggie Base Mix and I add ground turkey and beef, sometimes I add chopped spinach and barley grass but he tends to not like it.

Truly I am interested in adding supplements and making all of the necessary changes to improve the pressure and haven't a clue where to start. I was thinking of adding eyebight? Not sure of the root cause or where to start. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome Athena, and thanks for making your first post.?

I'm sorry to hear about Theo's glaucoma. :(

Fantastic question about where to start with helping him to be as healthy as possible.

The best place to start is by learning more about how to optimize his vitality and balance. The holistic fundamentals info and Eden energy video in it might be helpful:

Non member login - Holistic Actions!

Doing so will increase his cellular energy to allow his eye (and other) cells to operate as best they can.

For how long has he been on the cyclosporine?

Do you know what his IOP (intraocular pressures) are?

Right away you may want to start incorporating fresh foods into his diet. Things like the wild blueberry-kale smoothie:

In addition, consider 30-45 minutes of daily snuffle mat sessions plus plenty of outside sniffing and environmental engagement.

Please let us know how he's doing as you implement these actions.

AthenaO

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you for your reply. He has been on Cyclosporine for about 3 years as well as the other drops. However, its even difficult to get 2 drops into his eyes twice away 20 mins apart and the Holistic Vet recommended I only do it one time a day. I ordered the snuffle mat and willl do blueberry and kale but uncertain as to how I will get him to eat it...he is an extremely picky eater. Unfortunately I do not have a current pressure reading but he is scheduled for an appt. I believe the last time was 17.

He has a tremendous amount of buildup everyday in his eyes and the left is far worse and now and I think he has lost complete vision in it so im on a mission to make certain he doesnt lose his right eye.

How do you feel about eyebright?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Eyebright drops would be wonderful to try. The lubrication and herbal healing offer awesome corneal support.

Consider also increasing the fresh food in Theo's diet. The HK is better than dry food, but is still lower in healing energy than fresher, and especially raw, food.

AthenaO

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you. Im new to this site so please tell me what "fresher" is and maybe I can work my way up to raw.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for asking this wonderful, and very important question, Athena! :thumbsup:

Fresher means foods with higher vitality (nutritional value and energy).

The less processed food is, the fresher it is.

For example, the freshest meats and veggies are one step from alive, and may come from a local farmer or another source with quick turnaround.

For example, Darwin's pet foods are frozen and shipped in just a few days.

@Dr. Christina @Dr. Jean or @Dr. Sue may also have something to say about the freshness of foods.

Here's the HA! version of a vitality and energy scale which also reflects freshness:
food vitality scale.jpg

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom