• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Fleas and Ticks Prevention

ViktoriiaP

Registered
Hi Everyone! We are at the beginning of the holistic way for our dog, black lab, Toby, who is almost 4 years old. We do give him Fleas and Ticks Preventatives (nexguard and
Interceptor Plus). Do I have to continue with these? What do you guys do for your pets to prevent fleas and ticks? Thank you!

aruna

Cat mom
Administrator
All-Access Member
Hi, Victoria, great questions - we have quite a few resources on them. A good place to start is read through Dr. Christina's ebook "Fleas be gone" and look at our Lyme course for tick information. ALso, you can search this forum for fleas or ticks and read through previous conversations. Best of luck!

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
thanks, Aruna, great resources
Victoria, in my 40 years of holistic practice I rarely found the need for any flea chemicals. Healthy dogs just do not attract fleas!!

with ticks, there may be a need to apply essential oils or herbal sprays if going in a tick infested area, or using a repellent vest. Healthy dogs are much less likely to get any of the diseases transmitted by ticks as their immune system, not laden with drugs, will function well.

Dr. Christina

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
It's very true that healthy animals do not attract parasites, which are Nature's way of helping take out the unfit. I have personally SEEN fleas leaving healthy dogs. I live in the woods, full of deer, and in 13 years I have seen TWO ticks wandering on a dog of mine - easy to pick off and kill, not attached.
Yes, keep an eye out. Yes, go ahead and use a non-toxic "discouragement" of some kind. But please forget all about "preventives". I am convinced these all cause serious systemic disruption - and we wonder why dogs are dying of cancer and organic failures.
Most times, there are MAYBE a few pests. You can comb them out, brush them off, avoid the worst thickets, etc. Don't worry about your dogs; just look them over. Say "These are NOT the dogs you seek...."

KaminiJ

Registered
Our dog has been on Simparica Trio for the last 7 months (she is 11 months old now), which is an oral pest prevention that we now realize is highly damaging to her system. We are currently transitioning her to several safe methods we found in this forum. I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with these, or knows if these options can negatively interact with one another:

Away Oil for Spray (20 drops in bath water, or spray diluted with water)
https://animaleo.info/shop/away/

BugZone Tag for Mosquito (we will hang on her neck with a breakaway collar, takes 3 to 7 days to activate)
0Bug!Zone | Tag On. Bug Off!

Pet Protector Tag for Flea and Tick (hang on her neck, takes 20 days to fully activate)
Shop Now

Permethrin treated vest to wear on walks, prevents all pests
Insect Shield® Dog Clothes: Protect Against Ticks, Mosquitoes, Fleas

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with these, or knows if these options can negatively interact with one another:
Yes! I think these are all OK to use and will not interact. Perhaps start everything except the Insect Shield (which is also the only chemical of the ones you mentioned) and see if they control the ticks. If they don't work well enough for Chia then perhaps add the Insect Shield.

Chia also may not have a super high tick exposure (Unlike @dr_ judy herman's pup who has an active outdoor lifestyle).

BTW-Dr. Judy is the one who first shared with me about Insect Shield and also has done lots of great work on Lyme (check out the webinar by her in your member area). She may have more insight to add to this thread.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom