• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Female cat peeing outside litter box

PamR

Community Member
Registered
My cat -- 12 yr old female -- sometimes stands up for the last part of her peeing, aiming for the wall. This has been happening more frequently now -- maybe twice a week. I have a high litter box but it is lower at one end and that's the end she pees above. I tape some paper towel against the wall there so I can catch it, but wonder if this is indicative of a problem.
I've been using the same litter (crystal), and I keep it clean. Nothing different happening in the home.
Thoughts?

aruna

Cat mom
Administrator
All-Access Member
Hi, @PamR, a great question - would you give us a little more details about how long has this been happening? Is it a new behavior? Did the start of it coincide with anything else? Are there any other symptoms your cat is experiencing?
Maybe @Dr. Jean or @Dr. Christina have some ideas if this is a symptom or just a quirk?
And if you haven't had a chance yet, we have quite a comprehensive urinary section in our resource library - you can access it by clicking here.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Pam, how's your kitty's BEAM, what do you feed her etc. (see Aruna's great post here):

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
This is a very common behavior with older kitties. Chances are that she has some arthritis in her back end. The solution is to get a taller box. Big Rubbermaid or Sterlite totes are excellent; you can cut out a piece (to make a gate or door) at one end to make it easy for her to enter and exit, but the rest of the rim has to be higher than her butt so she physically can't overshoot it.

PamR

Community Member
Registered
This is a very common behavior with older kitties. Chances are that she has some arthritis in her back end. The solution is to get a taller box. Big Rubbermaid or Sterlite totes are excellent; you can cut out a piece (to make a gate or door) at one end to make it easy for her to enter and exit, but the rest of the rim has to be higher than her butt so she physically can't overshoot it.
Thank you, Dr. Jean! I will buy a taller box! A plastic tote will serve better than the regular litter pans.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom