• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Eye infection

AmelieH

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi!
Unfortunately, my Bonny (5 months old flat coated Retriever) has a severe eye infection. Both eyes are tearing a lot of pus, one of them is also hanging down and is bright red. What can I do now?
Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm sorry to hear about Bonnie's eyes.

How's her BEAM?

Did she have any recent exposure to other dogs with eye issues or possibly get something in her eyes like sand from the beach or bath water?

Regardless, when it comes to eye issues, your best first action is a visit to your vet for staining of her corneas to check for ulcers, intra-ocular pressure, etc.

No matter the cause and diagnosis, hot compress held on the eyes followed by an HA (Hyaluronic Acid) containing drop (or another OTC lubricating drop like Systane or Genteal) will help support her eyes while they heal.

I use this one in my practice:

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
How long will it be to have her seen?
If more than a few days, let us know and we can make some more suggestions.

At the vet, regardless of what they suggest after the tests, take time out to decide what to do. While you do not want to suppress this discharge, you may need to temporarily, with drugs. You may feel comfortable using one of them, but not all. If you are keeping a journal (a membership benefit - "journal" - Holistic Actions! - ignore the html on the page), be sure to record how the eyes are now, the BEAM, any other symptoms now, what may have triggered eye problems (dust storms, digging in the dirt, family issues, etc). Then record diagnostic tests, then her response to any treatments you try.

Dr. Christina

AmelieH

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you very much Dr. Christina and Dr. Jeff!!!
Her beam is normal. We went to the beach for a week last week through Saturday. It was very windy there. We were also at unhygienic motorway service stations, I hope she didn't get infected anywhere.
At first it got a little better and I can't reach my vet. Now it's gotten a little worse again, she has a lot of eye discharge. That's why I'm going to call a nice vet nearby tomorrow (unfortunately no naturalist). I'll just have her tested and then think carefully about giving such sharp drugs... Hope she gets well soon.
Kind regards, Amelie

Symbol „Von der Community überprüft“

AmelieH

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you very much Dr. Christina and Dr. Jeff!!!
Her beam is normal. We went to the beach for a week last week through Saturday. It was very windy there. We were also at unhygienic motorway service stations, I hope she didn't get infected anywhere.
At first it got a little better and I can't reach my vet. Now it's gotten a little worse again, she has a lot of eye discharge. That's why I'm going to call a nice vet nearby tomorrow (unfortunately no naturalist). I'll just have her tested and then think carefully about giving such sharp drugs... Hope she gets well soon.
Kind regards, Amelie

Symbol „Von der Community überprüft“
Or do you think you don't need medicine if it comes from the beach?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Let's see what the eye staining shows at the vet.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom