• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Epsom salt bath for swollen anal glands

Joanne

Community Member
Registered
My dog has swollen anal glands that are causing her discomfort. She also has an ulcerating mammary tumor. Dr. Jeff recommended giving her an epsom salt soak to soothe her and I’m wondering what the ratio of epsom salt to gallon of warm water might be. I bought her a shallow basin for the bath and the internet is all over the place with the ratios.

Thank you!
Joanne

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Joanne!

The ratio is critical. Here's a good place to start (replace feet with butt:

"The ratio of Epsom salt to water for a foot soak is typically 1/2 to 3/4 cup of Epsom salt to enough warm water to cover your feet up to your ankles. The water should be between 92°F and 100°F, but not hot, and you should stir the salt until it's completely dissolved. You can soak your feet for 10 to 60 minutes, depending on the recipe, and you should dry your feet thoroughly and moisturize them afterward."

So depending on the size of the basin, 1/2 cup may be a good place to start.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom