• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Ear "infections" and hypo-thyroidism after vaccination

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Here is one animal guardian's experience (the original post is from 2005 on the homevet.com forum):

After we adopted a 1 1/2 year old lab we brought him to the vet and he was vaccinated with everything that was required. 3 months later he came down with a horrible ear infection that became a constant problem for over 2 years. Yes, we vacinnated ( not aware that the shots may be the culprit) the next year and soon was followed by surgery to flush the ears and start from scratch. We tried prescription diets and many meds with no help. I did a little research of my own and found he had a low thyroid and I stopped vaccinating him except for rabies. There is titer (spelling) tests that check the dogs immunity to the certain virus you are needing to vaccinate for. The test results take a few days but will hopefully prevent unneccasary shots. For our dog, it has made a HUGE difference. He hasn’t had an ear infection in a few years, though he continues to remain on thyroid meds for life. I can’t help but wonder if he was over vaccinated due to the adoption and that put his thryoid at risk? If the tests come back that the dog is not immune to the disease than I would vaccinate. The tieter tests are fairly inexpensive and worth every penny.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Here is my 2005 reply:

Hi Gail-

Just for clarification. “Protective” antibody titers do not = protection from disease. The immunology (study of the immune system) that explains this is too complex for a short message I’m afraid.

Titers are indeed the best way that we have to reassure ourselves that the innoculations from two, three, or more years ago are still “effective”. Realize however that is the strength of the immune system that protects against disease, not a protective titer.

One animal with no titer may remain well while another who has a protective titer gets ill during an epidemic (say a kennel cough outbreak at the groomer or kennel).

In addition to the titers you need to do everything possible to foster a strong immune system. A healthy lifestyle (fresh species-appropriate food, outdoor exercise, minimal vaccinations, no symptom suppression and homeopathic treatment) will protect against both acute and chronic degenerative diseases.

No matter what you do, do NOT suppress symptoms. Inevitably more serious or chronic recurring diseases will result. Work through all symptoms with a vet homeopath. For ear inflammations this means keeping the ear free of discharge without using drying agents (like alcohol which will help slow down the discharge without addressing the underlying problem). At the same time work with your vet homeopath to treat the internal imbalance and slowly the ear problem will resolve.

Good luck.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom