• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Dog itchy skin, nutrition, getting started!

CareyW

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello, I’m new to holistic pet care and looking for support and wisdom. As others have probably experienced, I’m feeling quite overwhelmed with all the new information and also wishing I would have embraced this form of care much sooner - but here I am now and have a heart for learning healthier ways! We have a well loved 4yr old German Shepherd female named Daisy. She is neutered and weighs approx 65lbs. She is generally happy, energetic and gentle with our family although she seems to be more irritable since increased itch discomfort and less consistent appetite(even dumped her food bowl on the ground a couple of times this past week). She had all vaccinations up to a little over a year ago except never for kennel cough. She has been consistently on HeartGuard and NexGuard per the vet recommendation. She is currently struggling with black itchy skin on her belly with bright red spots(pictured below but hard to get a clear image), itchy/black/raw areas on her front elbows (pictured below) and sometimes licks/bites her foot. We have treated itchy/raw areas topically with Briotech pet spray and this seems to sooth and heal a bit. We have not been to a vet because we have not found a holistic option near us.
Food - She has been eating Orijen Six Fish kibble for about three years without issues until maybe a month or so ago she started developing the itchy/blackened skin. I understand it would likely be good to switch to fresh food. Due to current life circumstances I need to start with premade food. I’m considering Small Batch and The Honest Kitchen (the convenience of ordering this online would be helpful if it's considered a good option for her?). It looks like Small Batch is a quality option but also costly and not as easily accessible. Would it be a good idea to just stick with one or the other brand initially or is it ok to do one meal a day of Small Batch and one meal of Honest Kitchen? Should I stick with the same protein source initially or change it up? Should I shift her diet gradually from Orijen Six Fish to fresh food or do this right away?

Supplements- I’m thinking a probiotic would be helpful for Daisy and saw a video about a powder probiotic from Mercola Pet that has 14 strains in it and over 58billlion CFUs. Any thoughts on this one or another quality option?

I understand vitC may be helpful for restoring her immune system. If so, any suggestion for a whole food option for dogs?

Daisy has been on Apoquel for about three years(vet prescribed this when she started having hair loss/itchy back feet). I’m thinking this needs to stop. Will diet change be enough to support her ‘allergies’ or do I need to use something in place of this medication?

Should we give her anything for detox support as we move toward healthier gut?

Water - for our family we use reverse osmosis and add mineral drops. We previously used Berkey for several years but switched after new filters started to repeatedly fail. What would be the best water for our dog? RO with mineral drops added? Jugs of spring or distilled water?

Any suggestions for wound care for when the black skin areas get raw? What about other topical relief for itchy skin while we work on the process of getting her gut healthier?

My family dearly thanks you for taking the time to support us as we strive toward better care for our sweet Daisy Mae!

IMG_6657.JPG

this.JPG

IMG_6664.JPG

Last edited:

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
First to mention a key point we discussed. There is an energy template each animal is born with. When triggered is produces symptoms to return to balance, if it can. When it is healthy enough to keep the symptoms on the skin that is good. Daisy is now starting a few deeper symptoms, so it is great that you are considering working with a homeopathic vet.

One of the best resources while you are selecting your homeopathic veterinarian to resolve the skin at the deep level is to go to member resources tab and click on skin - Non member login - Holistic Actions!

Some of your questions we did not address on this morning's call:

1. Do read about heartworm prevention to make an educated decision about preventatives. I speak about that at - Non member login - Holistic Actions! . Also when you go to heart under resources, there is a pic of the life cycle - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8...Z28/view?resourcekey=0-G8glZoZQNE4Xwp1PpNYxJA
there is an article at my website - Heartworms

2. Nexguard - many articles about tick prevention and Lyme disease on the HA site and Dr. Judith Herman spoke of it in an Empower Hour - Non member login - Holistic Actions!
"fleas be gone" - Holistic Actions!. And www.0bugzone.com has tags as do a few other companies for ticks, fleas, mosquitoes, etc.

3. Probiotics are great and it is good to rotate them, as it is good to feed a variety of foods.

4. your water is fine for her.

5. Diet - you are trying some different foods and that is great. Your homeopath will help you decide if any of the foods are causing more symptoms and need to be avoided. Dr. Sue Howell spoke on testing that can be done to determine food allergins - Non member login - Holistic Actions! and https://www.holisticactions.com/05-18-2020-empower-hour-supplements/
Dr. Doug Kneuven addressed the benefits of Omega oils (which I did not mention today) - https://www.holisticactions.com/02-01-2021-empower-hour-omega-3/

Love to hear suggestions, especially for any topical treatments that may help Daisy as she is healing more deeply - @Dr. Jean @Dr. Sara @Dr. Sue @Dr. Jeff

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for making your first post Carey! Daisy is a beautiful girl and super lucky to have you for her mom.

Sorry that it has taken so long to reply but clinics have been very busy (and Oreo's about to walk in for her appointment in 3 minutes).

In order to carefully read your post, I'll come back later to post again but wanted to reiterate all of Dr. Christina's wise words.

See you again after Oreo (a 16 year young Havanese with environmental sensitivities, liver problems, and seizures who is doing well with a homeopathic medicine...)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Would it be a good idea to just stick with one or the other brand initially or is it ok to do one meal a day of Small Batch and one meal of Honest Kitchen?
The more variety the better so mixing it up is great (if she can tolerate that).
Should I stick with the same protein source initially or change it up?
Changing is great (as long as she tolerates the changes).

By tolerate I mean that her bowels remain stable (or just transient changes), no vomiting, abdominal discomfort, etc.
Should I shift her diet gradually from Orijen Six Fish to fresh food or do this right away?
It depends on her bowl el tolerance. Gradual (a little bit at a time) is safer.
Supplements- I’m thinking a probiotic would be helpful for Daisy and saw a video about a powder probiotic from Mercola Pet that has 14 strains in it and over 58billlion CFUs. Any thoughts on this one or another quality option?

Yes!! A variety of probiotics will be essential. If you start with Mercola's then try Mitomax, Rx Biotic, Probio Defense etc. Giving Floraphage (a probiotic multiplier) along with a probiotic can be helpful.

I understand vitC may be helpful for restoring her immune system. If so, any suggestion for a whole food option for dogs?
Green leafy veggies, fruits, moringa, kale, brocolli, peppers, etc. @Dr. Sue any other biggies you'd advise?
Will diet change be enough to support her ‘allergies’ or do I need to use something in place of this medication?
We'll see (it's very possible)..
Should we give her anything for detox support as we move toward healthier gut?

I use a product called Fiber Powder Detox designed to help the body detox, but really any fiber source can help her body eliminate toxins. Also, sunshine, structured water, the Happiness Protocol, etc. Anything that helps her body work better.

Water - for our family we use reverse osmosis and add mineral drops. We previously used Berkey for several years but switched after new filters started to repeatedly fail. What would be the best water for our dog? RO with mineral drops added? Jugs of spring or distilled water?

Spring water and structured water as per above.
Any suggestions for wound care for when the black skin areas get raw? What about other topical relief for itchy skin while we work on the process of getting her gut healthier?

Lots of choices here but what will work best depends on her individuality. Try comfrey poutices, Stem Gel, NZ Deer Velvet skin cream, green tea soaks.

Dr. Sue

Certified Veterinary Food Therapist
All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Hi Carey,
I love that you are going to make a shift from dry food to fresh! Personally I would not feed fish since this has been her diet for the past 3 years and she may have developed a sensitivity to it. Feeding variety of fresh foods will help prevent intolerances in the future. I'm a fan of raw diet in this situation - itchy skin is a hot, inflammatory condition. In Chinese Medicine we use cooling fresh foods to fight the heat and inflammation of hot processed food. Greens in particular - brocolli, collard greens, dandelion greens, asparagus help the liver detox and are appropriate for the itch that happens especially in the Spring which, in Chinese Medicine, is the Liver's time of year. Raw diet is cooling by nature. You can also focus on cooling proteins and other cooling toppers - rabbit, duck or turkey may be a good place to start. Celery, red radish, seaweed, and mushroom can help with moist, damp, smelly skin and ears. Quercitin is a natural antihistamine that you can purchase to help with itch.

For additional immune support mushrooms are the bomb! Reishi, shittake, maitake, lions mane, chaga, turkey tail, etc. Real Mushrooms for Pets Immune Support would be perfect. I am also a fan of adding Standard Process Canine Dermal Support which contains whole foods - glandulars, botanicals and organic vegetables - and helps the skin through support for the liver, digestive tract and adrenal glands (stress regulation). You can purchase a 110g. bottle from my online Standard Process store.

We all look forward to hearing how your Daisy's life changes for the better in the next few months! She is a lucky dog.

Warmly, Dr. Sue

CareyW

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Carey,
I love that you are going to make a shift from dry food to fresh! Personally I would not feed fish since this has been her diet for the past 3 years and she may have developed a sensitivity to it. Feeding variety of fresh foods will help prevent intolerances in the future. I'm a fan of raw diet in this situation - itchy skin is a hot, inflammatory condition. In Chinese Medicine we use cooling fresh foods to fight the heat and inflammation of hot processed food. Greens in particular - brocolli, collard greens, dandelion greens, asparagus help the liver detox and are appropriate for the itch that happens especially in the Spring which, in Chinese Medicine, is the Liver's time of year. Raw diet is cooling by nature. You can also focus on cooling proteins and other cooling toppers - rabbit, duck or turkey may be a good place to start. Celery, red radish, seaweed, and mushroom can help with moist, damp, smelly skin and ears. Quercitin is a natural antihistamine that you can purchase to help with itch.

For additional immune support mushrooms are the bomb! Reishi, shittake, maitake, lions mane, chaga, turkey tail, etc. Real Mushrooms for Pets Immune Support would be perfect. I am also a fan of adding Standard Process Canine Dermal Support which contains whole foods - glandulars, botanicals and organic vegetables - and helps the skin through support for the liver, digestive tract and adrenal glands (stress regulation). You can purchase a 110g. bottle from my online Standard Process store.

We all look forward to hearing how your Daisy's life changes for the better in the next few months! She is a lucky dog.

Warmly, Dr. Sue
Dr Sue, thanks so much for this helpful info! I ordered the Mushroom Support along with the SP Dermal Support you suggested. Is there a particular quercitin brand with dosage for 70lb dog? @Dr. Sue

CareyW

All-Access Member
Registered
The more variety the better so mixing it up is great (if she can tolerate that).

Changing is great (as long as she tolerates the changes).

By tolerate I mean that her bowels remain stable (or just transient changes), no vomiting, abdominal discomfort, etc.

It depends on her bowl el tolerance. Gradual (a little bit at a time) is safer.
That all makes sense. So for example if I'm changing from Instinct frozen rabbit to Smallbatch dehyrdated duck, I should continue with the rabbit a few days while slowly adding in the duck at the same time over a few days? Are you saying as long as Daisy tolerates these transitions to just keep on a constant rotation of proteins and quality fresh brands every few days? Thanks so much for helping me navigate this since it is a brand new concept for me!
Thanks for the probiotic tips! Per your recommendation, I ordered the Floraphage - how often and how much should we give to our 70lb girl? You also mentioned the Fiber Powder Detox - where do I find this product? I dearly appreciate your insights! Thank you!! @Dr. Jeff
Yes!! A variety of probiotics will be essential. If you start with Mercola's then try Mitomax, Rx Biotic, Probio Defense etc. Giving Floraphage (a probiotic multiplier) along with a probiotic can be helpful.

Green leafy veggies, fruits, moringa, kale, brocolli, peppers, etc. @Dr. Sue any other biggies you'd advise?

We'll see (it's very possible)..

I use a product called Fiber Powder Detox designed to help the body detox, but really any fiber source can help her body eliminate toxins. Also, sunshine, structured water, the Happiness Protocol, etc. Anything that helps her body work better.

Spring water and structured water as per above.

Lots of choices here but what will work best depends on her individuality. Try comfrey poutices, Stem Gel, NZ Deer Velvet skin cream, green tea soaks.

CareyW

All-Access Member
Registered
First to mention a key point we discussed. There is an energy template each animal is born with. When triggered is produces symptoms to return to balance, if it can. When it is healthy enough to keep the symptoms on the skin that is good. Daisy is now starting a few deeper symptoms, so it is great that you are considering working with a homeopathic vet.

One of the best resources while you are selecting your homeopathic veterinarian to resolve the skin at the deep level is to go to member resources tab and click on skin - Non member login - Holistic Actions!

Some of your questions we did not address on this morning's call:

1. Do read about heartworm prevention to make an educated decision about preventatives. I speak about that at - Non member login - Holistic Actions! . Also when you go to heart under resources, there is a pic of the life cycle - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8...Z28/view?resourcekey=0-G8glZoZQNE4Xwp1PpNYxJA
there is an article at my website - Heartworms

2. Nexguard - many articles about tick prevention and Lyme disease on the HA site and Dr. Judith Herman spoke of it in an Empower Hour - Non member login - Holistic Actions!
"fleas be gone" - Holistic Actions!. And www.0bugzone.com has tags as do a few other companies for ticks, fleas, mosquitoes, etc.

3. Probiotics are great and it is good to rotate them, as it is good to feed a variety of foods.

4. your water is fine for her.

5. Diet - you are trying some different foods and that is great. Your homeopath will help you decide if any of the foods are causing more symptoms and need to be avoided. Dr. Sue Howell spoke on testing that can be done to determine food allergins - Non member login - Holistic Actions! and Non member login - Holistic Actions!
Dr. Doug Kneuven addressed the benefits of Omega oils (which I did not mention today) - Non member login - Holistic Actions!

Love to hear suggestions, especially for any topical treatments that may help Daisy as she is healing more deeply - @Dr. Jean @Dr. Sara @Dr. Sue @Dr. Jeff

Dr. Christina
Thanks for all the helpful info!! Just to clarify - when you say our RO water is fine for Daisy, do you mean to add the minerals as we do for family or are there mineral drops specifically for dogs? @Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I should continue with the rabbit a few days while slowly adding in the duck at the same time over a few days?
Yes!
Are you saying as long as Daisy tolerates these transitions to just keep on a constant rotation of proteins and quality fresh brands every few days?
Yes, yes!
Thanks so much for helping me navigate this since it is a brand new concept for me!
It is truly my honor and pleasure to have the privilege to help in any way!??
Thanks for the probiotic tips! Per your recommendation,
YW Carey.
I ordered the Floraphage - how often and how much should we give to our 70lb girl?
In my practice I usually have bigger dogs start with 1 cap twice but may adjust for individual responses.
You also mentioned the Fiber Powder Detox - where do I find this product?

Oh, that's just an example of the form of fiber I sell and use in my practice:

Dr. Sue

Certified Veterinary Food Therapist
All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dr Sue, thanks so much for this helpful info! I ordered the Mushroom Support along with the SP Dermal Support you suggested. Is there a particular quercitin brand with dosage for 70lb dog? @Dr. Sue
I like Thorne's Quercitin. NOW brand would be great too. Offer the human dose.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom