• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Dog Constantly Itching - Long term - Possible Fleas?

BrianaM

Registered
724E6C77-1D00-4AA7-8728-892332217EC3.jpegHello,

I’ve been having a problem with my dog itching since he was a puppy. I’ve gotten many different opinions from vets and many have told me it was environmental allergies and to give him apoquel or shots for it (which I have given apoquel multiple times but would like to stop - holding out on the shots, I haven’t done them). Others have told me to try switching him to a novelty diet like salmon. (I would like to switch him to a raw diet but am thinking of starting with raw salmon for a few months to see if that helps, then maybe going to beef?)

He is currently itching himself even more than usual the last 2 months. I’m starting to get concerned he has fleas. I brought him to the vet who used a flea comb but didn’t see anything. He said he might have a couple fleas and to put him on flea and tick preventative (simparica).

Today I saw something on his side/stomach that kind of looked like flea dirt to me, I wiped it off with a wet paper towel and it came off and the paper towel looked slightly pink/brown.

I will insert the pictures - I am wondering if this is flea dirt? Or if it is just irritation from itching himself?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It is very stressful to see him constantly itching and uncomfortable. I just want to get him better and I don’t know the cause.

Thank you very much! I appreciate it

Info: Toy Aussie Male - 2 years old
Has all typical vaccines - over vaccinated
Diet history - genetic chicken kibble, then salmon kibble (for almost 2 years). Then the farmers dog (chicken, turkey, and beef recipes).
Now feeding him The Honest Kitchen - grain free beef recipe - past 2-3 months.

4214AD65-F8C3-4591-ABD8-767D470302DB.jpeg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I will insert the pictures - I am wondering if this is flea dirt? Or if it is just irritation from itching himself?
The pic looks like the latter.

IMHO, the dark ("hyperpigmented") spots you are seeing are commonly seen in chronically itchy dogs. with allergies.

Most skin stuff is secondary to an immune imbalance. Less common is mange from scabies or demodex, especially in puppies.

Add in some unprocessed fresh food to each meal of HK.

Has your pup has had a blood test for scabies and/or skin treatment for mange?

BrianaM

Registered

IMHO, the dark ("hyperpigmented") spots you are seeing are commonly seen in chronically itchy dogs. with allergies.

Most skin stuff is secondary to an immune imbalance. Less common is mange from scabies or demodex, especially in puppies.

Thank you so much! He has never had any tests or treatment for that. Do you recommend I bring him to the vet and ask for a scabies blood test? And also a skin treatment for mange? I’m not very familiar with this, is there a specific skin treatment I should ask for that you recommend is safe?

And if it is neither of these, do you think diet alone would help resolve this? I really want to give him some relief of the itchiness/biting.

Thank you again!

BrianaM

Registered
I want to add that in addition to the itching he has also been biting different areas on his prepuce and causing it to have a red patch (which goes away in a day or 2). He used to never do this until the last couple of months. This is the third time he has caused himself a red patch on his prepuce. I just saw this new one now.

BrianaM

Registered

Hi Dr. Jeff,

I woke up this morning with a few small red bites on my stomach in a row. In my sleep I thought it was a mosquito bite and I itched it but now I see it looks nothing like one. I’m getting more suspicious that a flea bit me, although I’m really not that itchy now. Should I treat my dog for fleas? If so, is there something you recommend that’s not toxic to me or my dog? My room is carpeted which probably makes this more difficult.

Thank you for your help!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Should I treat my dog for fleas?
You may want to check for fleas first (using a flea comb). @Dr. Christina what say you?

If so, is there something you recommend that’s not toxic to me or my dog?
OMG there's lots! Maybe read Dr. Christina's great flea-free ebook to decide what's right for you. It's free in your member area.

BrianaM

Registered
You may want to check for fleas first (using a flea comb). @Dr. Christina what say you?

OMG there's lots! Maybe read Dr. Christina's great flea-free ebook to decide what's right for you. It's free in your member area.
Thank you very much! I need to navigate through more of the resources on this website. I was just worried so didn’t want to wait to ask, thank you for bringing that to my attention!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom