• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Distemper

KrystelleS

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi,

Looking for help and guidance with treating distemper. Have seen conventional vet and have been on antibiotics. The virus continues to progress. Any help would be much appreciated

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Krystelle! Thanks for making your first post.

I'm super sorry though that your dog (cat?) is struggling with health challenges related to distemper virus.

It would be wonderful to get more context as described here:

KrystelleS

All-Access Member
Registered
So sorry! Missed all that in desperation. See below:

Bam Bam
Approx 5 mo
Intact female
Aussiepoo? (Complete guess, she’s from a shelter)
8kg
Quiet, low energy, low appetite, docile
Currently canned food, only thing she will touch. Tried raw, cooked, freeze dried, doesn’t like any of it
One round of vax 1/03/23 ( sick by the time booster was due)
About a week after exiting the shelter, she displayed with uri symptoms. A PCR panel confirmed she had distemper, flu, and mycoplasma. She was prescribed antibiotics (doxy and clindamycin). She will not touch her food ones these meds touch them.
She was also hospitalized for 2 nights. Upon returning home, her energy was low but she was still eating.

As of last night, she has had little interest in food and has since progressed into the neuro phase of distemper with her temples twitching and consistent jaw clentching/chattering.

Any guidance or thoughts would be much appreciated. There is a lot of information online and difficult to decipher what works best and if we even continue to fight.

I should add that this is a foster and not my personal dog. We work a lot with shelter animals. She’s currently isolated. There is also the concern of breakthrough infections in my personal dogs

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much for the clarification Krystelle.

If the virus has progressed to her brain and "chewing gum" seizures, unfortunately her chance of recovery is conventionally considered to be very poor.

Is there anything that Bam Bam still loves to do (or eat)?

Will she eat her food if the pills are not in it?

Does she have respiratory signs or diagnostic tests (like an x-ray, CBC or even the vet exam) that indicate a bacterial pneumonia? I ask because the anti-biotics will not treat the distemper virus.

Do you have a vet homeopath, acupuncturist or other energy healer on your vet care team?

IMHO the key is to increase her body's ability to control the infection by increasing her cellular energy reserves.

A great way to start is by focusing on what makes her super happy, and engaging with her as much as you can. Tell her how much you love her and visualize that loving and healing energy helping her immune cells "gobble up" that distemper virus.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom