• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Dental problems in animals from 1947

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi everyone-

We're winding down in our oral care and helping dental dis-eases series of webinars, and I just ran across a few interesting articles that I will be posting in these next few forum messages.

Click/tap here for an article from a 1947 issue of the British Dental Journal.

The author compares the teeth of people to those of animals.

You'll find this important statement in the article:

"The disease (NB-periodontal dis-ease) is mostly seen in pet animals which are often fed on a diet which makes very little, if any, demand on the teeth before it is swallowed. Cats and dogs which lead a freer life and obtain a diet more nearly approaching their natural food, are practically free from the disease."

This article provides more, and unbiased, research about a species-appropriate diet being the best one for our pets to eat.

Raw Meaty Bones rock!

Cyd

VIP Member
Registered
Dr. Jeff, these were fantastic articles, thank you for posting them. I want to see the actual photos of the teeth shown in the British dentistry article to get the full perspective of the damage described. In ref to Dr. Pitcairins' myrhh treatment, I avoided using myrhh because the straight tincture has a gummy, resin-like, sticky consistency, it reminded me of tincture of benzoin. which I hv used my whole life on myself only, no animals, for small mouth issues. Will myrhh leave a sticky coating on a dog's teeth or cause a brown discoloration?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, it would be awesome to see pics of the teeth but they were not included.

I don't know about the myrrh, but perhaps @Dr. Katie does.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom