• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Darwins food and others needing vet approval

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I printed off the sheet to get my vet to sign permission to get Darwins pet food for JJ to try but since it is raw and most vets are not on board with raw I doubt she will approve. I don't know why I need vet approval for some of the prescription diets since they are not trained in nutrition or believe in raw food. I was also told to cook JJ's food for his kidney problem. Any ideas on how to get a prescription diet without my vets approval? Darwins was suggested here several times and I looked into it but now think it will get shot down by the vet who doesn't believe in raw for a kidney dog. Even the long distance holistic vet I have tells me to cook for him. Another part of this question is this: JJ has liver issues, kidney issues, musculoskeletel issues etc.. so how do I know which diet to sign off on... There is also a cancer diet but I don't know if he has cancer. So which diet would I select. Thank you. He is very finicky eater but enjoys "drinking" the broth I make the meat in. I did sneak in some quinoia yesterday in the broth. My holistic vet suggested oatmeal but he did not like that. I can pull off quinoia but not oatmeal in the liquid.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Lil, I don't know either why you would need vet "permission". I do know that there is nothing good about any commercial prescription kidney diet. Now, this is an area about which I have no conventional experience, but there is no way I'd feed anything that wasn't raw meat based - and no way I'd let a vet tell me - unless it was one of our lovely people here - what I should feed and why. Feed him what you want to feed, and don't bother the vet. Just use him for diagnostics, and lie a little about the diet. As with homeopathy, don't be too literal about feeding a "kidney" diet, a "skeletal" or a "cancer" diet; a diet can be supportive but hardly ever curative on its own. I can see why lightly cooked makes some sense, but my stubborn bias towards authentic nutrition would always lead me to feed SOME raw, even if it's only meat juice. So, get some guidance - but not "permission". That sucks, in my book.

Help me out here, guys...

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sorry Ginny. Can't help because I fundamentally agree with Lil.

It makes sense (from a marketing perspective) why Darwin's would brand this line as (which was formulated by a vet) "prescription".

But I agree that Lil should feed what she wants. I believe her intent is to maintain a fresh raw diet but restrict phosphorus (the Darwin's diet is phos. restricted). Many vets won't support raw feeding by writing a prescription though.

Lil, perhaps feed your own high quality varied raw diet and add a phosphorus binder like Aventi kidney complete (even if JJ's phosphorus is normal).

LilF

Community Member
Registered
So surprise surprise, the vet did sign the Darwin "permission form" but it leaves me with just another option. She was aware of Darwins. JJ might not even like the food. Chances are he wont eat it or he will eat a couple meals of it and then turn his nose up. I tried to feed him gently cooked Open Farm and he did not touch it. This was left over from my Gabby who ate it. I did let the vet decide on what to do today. I just gave her an update and went from there. She did dry needle, kidney and liver points were painful. She did the cruciate ligament as well. She had sterile needles, nice copper color!! Unlike the first acupuncturist I had who wasn't certified who seemed to just pull them out of a pincushion. At any rate, they hurt at first, he shook them out and she reinserted them and already he was less painful after a few minutes. She did mention she did not want to do too much as it draws out energy (I recall Dr. Sara mentioning this a long time ago when JJ was sagging and slipping after the acupuncture with the vet not certified) So it was nice to hear this vet be well aware of the strength of her treatment..... JJ got to be in the car most of the day, I fed him in the car after his treatment and he ATE IT ALL UP....Yep ate all his food.... I was able to give him some supplments wrapped in some tasty keto steaks I made fresh. I purchased Dr. Dobias Soul Food and Mineral product. It tastes terrible so I put it in a capsule. I think it has a good profile of vitamins and minerals I think he was lacking in. Also put some mushroom powder in a capsule because I feel it is a worthy addition. Back to the food, when I made up some beef kidney or liver months ago, JJ did not like it and spit it out. I always fed him raw but he seems to not like it now. So happy I kept my mouth shut and let the vet decide how to treat today. She is very conscientious and checks and double checks the points she wanted to do, unlike the first vet I had.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Sorry Ginny. Can't help because I fundamentally agree with Lil.

It makes sense (from a marketing perspective) why Darwin's would brand this line as (which was formulated by a vet) "prescription".

But I agree that Lil should feed what she wants. I believe her intent is to maintain a fresh raw diet but restrict phosphorus (the Darwin's diet is phos. restricted). Many vets won't support raw feeding by writing a prescription though.

Lil, perhaps feed your own high quality varied raw diet and add a phosphorus binder like Aventi kidney complete (even if JJ's phosphorus is normal).

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Dr. Jeff, I have Epakiten on hand. Maybe Aventi is more comprehensive. Will take a look---now that my internet "seems" to be behaving better past few days. JJ's phos was normal but understand it might be a good idea to give it, even if not daily. Should have level checked again. I worried about making the diet balanced but as it is JJ is not eating everything put together, likes everything separate (silicone lick mat--so much better than throwing away a whole meal I made because of one ingredient he doesn't like mixed in) so hard to get veggies in, not that appealing even with butter. He likes meat now and some Ziwi Peak mackeral and lamb. I feel better since starting to put Dr. Dobias vitamin/minerals in a capsule and giving it to JJ. I have used Meal Mix from Mercola with little success. Each dog got diarrhea from it. So I do like the Dr. Dobias option to fill in the blanks. The vet who signed the Rx said Darwins had gently cooked food. I have to look more at the recipes. I also prefer organic ingredients. I was checking Susan Thixton's list a while back. I know Darwins is recommended here and also by Dr. Karen Becker, but truth be told, I have read some negative stuff as far as cleanliness and violations like that. Just reminiscent of me feeding Evangers a few years ago to my dog and then come to find out the truth about their facility and pentobarbital and all of that for a "human grade" canned food. UGH...makes a person sick to know you fed it to your beloved dog.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I got the Darwins delivered last week and JJ seems to eating it ---ALL---I got him some of the prescription kidney diet and also the natural selections line to see what he likes. He has even gained some weight back. I have 12 bags of freeze dried and air dried food on my kitchen counter because I did not know if and what he would eat before the Darwins. So far he accepts the kidney diet selection but honestly I think it looks kind of gross and the natural selections line looks and has the texture of real food. Yet when I made him food and put it all together like the Darwins he would not eat it.... Go Figure, my ego is hurt that he doesn't like my cooking :-( but glad his appetite is better....

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom