• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

Cruciate ligament tear after 3 months

LilF

Community Member
Registered
So it has been 3 months since Blossom tore her cruciate ligament. She has improved some lately. I took her to a vet today my friend swears by and says in 40 years he was never wrong. Ok, so I thought the vet would say that if she is healing surgery is not necessary but he watched her walk and said she isn't bending her knee, also in response to me observing she was rotating her hip apparently when walking. He said he felt some grinding in her knee and said she had medial buttress arthritis (hope I said this right). Shocked, I said ALREADY? He said it is best to get them repaired within a month. I guess I messed that one up waiting so long. He said that the knee will never be stable without the surgery. The rehab vet I took her to in early July said the scar tissue would not stabilize the knee like an implant. Vet today said if all I want her to do is mosey around in the yard or house then I could get away without doing it but she would limp her whole life. I said Blossom likes walks and I want her to be able to go for walks also good for her overall health. So it looks like I may be back to surgery. I had canceled twice already and have it scheduled for next week. I had thought I would be canceling it but now after today, I think maybe I should do it. Even in july when the surgeon examined her there was arthritis but he never explained it like this vet did today. She is about 6 but seems older with her slowness. i did not realize time was of the essence. my arthritis developed over 20 years---a dog's is 3 months??? Gave her supplements the whole time but maybe they did little good. The vet today said another 3 months of no walking is what he found gives the best surgical result so that takes us to november and her sniffy walks will not be as satisfying once the snow falls. It is heartache to see her young years disappear because of this never to be fulfilled like the other dogs had.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm sorry to hear about your heartache Lil and am glad that Ms. Blossom will be ready for her walks again by late summer-early fall (recovery from surgery is about 6 weeks).

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
She will be much happier and more sure of herself when she is fully functional. This will give you both a chance for better behavior, as she will have less fear and vulnerability. Good for you, to recognize this!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
She will be much happier and more sure of herself when she is fully functional. This will give you both a chance for better behavior, as she will have less fear and vulnerability. Good for you, to recognize this!
i never thought of that---maybe she does feel vulnerable since her injury and makes her more defensive. Curious. like a wild animal who is trying to hide their weakness and get "them" before they get " her"
i am trying to move her complete blood work up before the day of the surgery including a heartworm test which she has not had for 16 mos (even though I took her to 3 vets for this). When she walks a bit and sits or lays down at this point I do not know if it is ligament or a medical issue which is why I am going to twist one of the vets arms to do bloodwork days before her surgery. Also have a homeopath appt. scheduled 2 days before her surgery, was lucky there was one opening left in August---divine intervention I presume.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
And be sure to have a follow-up homeopathic appointment scheduled for after the surgery, and monthly till fully recovered.

Do you access to chiropractic?
Also be ready to do massage, T-touch, acupressure
Maybe review and at least one of the energy medicines we have presented, and mindset - HA and TV by Bernie Siegel, Anitra Frazier, Gail Pope, Dr. Farthing, Grandma Nancy, Dr. Wagner,
A lovely meditation with photos, Nick Thompson,
Dr. Samet, Dr. Saine, Dr. Palmquist, Patrick McKeown, Paola Brown, Dr Knuven, Dr. Herman, Dr. Schneider, Gail Pope, Dr. Fior, Kate Solisti, Dr. Pitcairn , Dr. Feinman, Dr. Seelye (now deceased), Tami Tomlinson, Dr. Susan Wagner,

Dr. Christina

LilF

Community Member
Registered
And be sure to have a follow-up homeopathic appointment scheduled for after the surgery, and monthly till fully recovered.

Do you access to chiropractic?
Also be ready to do massage, T-touch, acupressure
Maybe review and at least one of the energy medicines we have presented, and mindset - HA and TV by Bernie Siegel, Anitra Frazier, Gail Pope, Dr. Farthing, Grandma Nancy, Dr. Wagner,
A lovely meditation with photos, Nick Thompson,
Dr. Samet, Dr. Saine, Dr. Palmquist, Patrick McKeown, Paola Brown, Dr Knuven, Dr. Herman, Dr. Schneider, Gail Pope, Dr. Fior, Kate Solisti, Dr. Pitcairn , Dr. Feinman, Dr. Seelye (now deceased), Tami Tomlinson, Dr. Susan Wagner,

Dr. Christina
She would like those modalities as she LOVES petting and touch. Actually I was unable to get her a heartworm and blood panel BEFORE the surgery next thursday. I asked the vet and he said they were booked---disappointed he would not accommodate to see her a few days sooner. She is scheduled for blood the day AFTER her intended surgery. The surgeon then goes on vacation the day after her intended scheduled surgery---another negative because I want the surgeon to be around should there be a post surgical complication. He would be gone for 10 days. Actually I feel this all worked out this way for a reason and am ok with it---universe doing what it is supposed to do. I rely heavily on my intuition after JJ died in a hospital and I had the chance to avoid his traumatic ugly death by the intuition I had and let my rational mind take over. I read recently the Marines and military rely heavily on their intuition and trained to do so in unexpected situations. Intuition is the reason I have Blossom now.... people tried to discourage me and rob me of this beautiful experience with a pit bull that is so connected and close. And to experience her communication of gratitude daily. Her ability to love is unmatched. She stays by my side even when another dog is going down the street--She is amazing which is why I am agonizing over the surgery decision without more data on her medical fitness....

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom