• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cooling mats for dog beds? Keeping a dog cooler while sleeping in general?

DanielleDL

VIP Member
Registered
I'm trying to transition Bobby to a more cooling diet (advice welcome, because I'm new to cooling/warming diets in general so I'm sure there's much I don't know yet), but I also want to try to modify his sleeping arrangements in the meantime so he doesn't get so warm in the spring/summer when sleeping on his donut beds (he loves his beds, which is why I'm not considering an elevated bed. Plus, I don't want more beds! Our house is too small.). Does anyone know about cooling gel mats and whether they're safe? Bobby's not an inappropriate chewer, so I know he won't try to eat them.

Alternatively, does anyone have any advice on how to keep him cooler in general when he's sleeping (we keep the window open, but often have to close it because of skunks). If he gets hot enough, he moves to the un-carpeted floor, but I worry about his joints (large-breed GSD mix).

Thanks as always!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Danielle!

Many dogs (including Archie) love their cooling mats. ☄️?‍?

We have 3 different kinds (Archie is super heat sensitive). We started with an expensive "green" cooling mat then brought another for a second room. But then ended up finding the same mats (actually it was a bigger size) for 1/2 price at TL Maxx/Marshalls.

Another cooling tip to consider is the cool (and potentially healing) negative ion stream coming out of the ionbox (there's also a member discount available when you log in to your member area):

Also, some dogs just like having a fan blowing on them. On super hot days we use a/c for Archie (and Amy) as well as the other cooling tools.

I'll be curious to hear @Dr. Sara's tips for cooling as she's also had dogs that were not fans of the heat.

tsharlo1

VIP Member
Registered
Hi Danielle,

My dog also likes to be cooler. Fortunately I like it cooler too so in warm weather the AC helps as well as ceiling fans. Buxton moves from tile to linoleum and lays in a Sphinx position so his belly is cooler. I have a cool coat that works well for walks in the summer.

For a cooling diet I feed pork and duck and do not feed chicken or lamb. For more variety I also feed some beef and turkey.

Debbie

DanielleDL

VIP Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff & @tsharlo1 : Thanks to both of you for your advice! We don't have A/C or ceiling fans (and we rent, so it has to stay that way), but I've made notes of everything else. Thanks so much!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom