• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Conventional dog heartworm preventatives, but at a lowered or less frequent dose

DanielleDL

VIP Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff @Dr. Sara @Dr. Jean @Dr. Christina

(New member/new dog caregiver here, so bear with. Also not totally forum savvy, so feel free to share any pro tips. :D)

Pet Info: Bobby, ~1.5yo (adopted in 8/21), M/Neutered, GSD Mix (waiting to hear back from Embark DNA for more info), 66 lbs, BEAM is good
Diet: Farmers Dog cooked fresh + Open Farm Freeze Dried Raw (usually 50%, but we're transitioning out of bland diet right now so it'll be 100% Farmers Dog for another week or so and then I'll start reincorporating the Open Farm) but I'd like to transition to homemade raw, fresh cooked, or hybrid (need to research more)
Vax History: Typical shelter dog cocktail - 8/21: DAPP, Bordetella, Rabies (1yr), Drontal Plus/PPM2, 3 days of Panacur, Lepto. 6/21: Pyrantel. Simparica Trio for the last 4 months, but stopped after the last 2 months resulted in week-long diarrhea (treated with metro, because I didn't have a holistic vet yet. Still having trouble finding one close by that's accepting new clients, but I've discovered alternative treatments for diarrhea since, so he won't be getting metro again.)
Current condition: Poops are normal again, has slightly pink/itchy ear (soothed w/99% aloe if it's bothering him, which is usually no more than once or twice a day. Small amounts of caramel-colored wax. Sometimes a little flaky. Vet saw no infection in inner ear. I'm curious if the Simparica Trio is causing this inflammation too, since it will be in his system for at least another couple weeks), happy overall.
Current treatments: Bobby had a wedge osteotomy in 10/21 to correct a deformed front leg, so he takes Dasuquin w/MSM + 4000mg fish oil for joint health (I also give him Super Snouts Joint Power which is pure G L Mussel). And I give him Four Leaf Rover BiFido to combat any gut dysbiosis from the Simparica Trio and metro (or any of the meds he got during or post surgery). He's in 3 weeks into physical therapy for the leg (it's healed and strong, but has some medial laxity).

Primary Problem: Because of the adverse reaction to Simparica Trio (which I was suspicious about from the get go, but didn't know better), I'm looking for safer flea, tick, and HW prevention. I've read the most about HW, so I'm starting there. I am moderately risk averse, so I think I would be most comfortable with conventional HW prevention, but at either a lowered dose or less frequent dose as read about in this thread. Two things are mentioned in the thread: 3 month dosing and lowered dosing (for Interceptor), which sounds like my speed in terms of trying to find a balance between the convenience of conventional medicine vs the risks of side effects. I have no problem doing extra work if it means Bobby will be healthier and happier, but since I'm also a caregiver to a parent with dementia, any safe shortcut I can take is a godsend for my time/energy/sanity. :D

Considering all that, what would be a good HW regimen for Bobby (brand? dose? frequency? all year? partial year?)? We live in San Mateo in the SF Bay Area, and luckily it's a lower risk area according to the 2019 HW Incident Report by the American HW Society. Highest risk is between May and August according to San Mateo County Mosquito & Vector Control District.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!! Very happy to be here!

Last edited:

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Danielle,
Great to have you as a member and yes, there is no one correct answer. It is all about education, then making a decision. As our first two speakers discussed this month (Sue Wagner and Sue Whittaker) each animal is unique and you can access the energy field to ask what is best on any day.

The “heartworm preventative” does not prevent your dog from becoming infected, it kills the migrating larvae so it prevents adults from living in the heart where they can cause serious heart damage. A healthy immune system also kills the migrating larvae so the big goal is improved health as you have been doing. Different companies’ drug sheets and veterinarians experiences indicate that the dosages used can be given less frequently and will still kill the migrating larvae. Knowing which preventative is the best, if any, for your dog is up to you. Observing your dog will give you clues that you need to try one of the other preventatives or use none at all. This is another example of the need to keep a Health Journal. The fewer drugs the better, so use ones just for heartworms, not other worms. Learn how to ask yes/no questions of the universe by dowsing, pendulum, intuition, applied kinesiology (good to check with nature for all your decisions in life). And keep your observations in a journal to evaluate any reactions.

The monthly preventative can be given every 6-8 weeks. Wait to begin until you have seen mosquitoes for at least a month and the temperatures have been consistently over 65 degrees F (if under, the heartworm larvae die in the mosquito), then give until most mosquitoes are gone. In the Maryland area I would blood test in May or June and stop by October. Sounds like your area is similar, so may only need 2 or 3 doses. Stopping for at least 3 – 5 months each year will let you evaluate any impact the preventative is having on the animal. It is important to treat these as serious drugs, watch very carefully for side effects, even subtle ones, and then switch to another kind or treat the dog constitutionally. If you notice no subtle signs of problems from the drugs, keep using them judiciously.

As dogs age, it is time to consider the risk of getting heartworms (less active, less outside) with the possible liver toxicity or increased sensitivity to drugs of any kind.

Hopefully knowing a little more will help you make your decision as I suspect members have differing opinions on this topic.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome Danielle! Great job making your first post.:snowman:

I don't have much to add to what Dr. Christina wrote, except to say that you are doing an incredible job of looking at all the info. (conventional and holistic) before deciding what to do!!

Let's chat further about this super important issue (making HW, and other, decisions for Bobby) when we talk next on an HMDM call.

DanielleDL

VIP Member
Registered
@Dr. Christina

Thanks so much for the information. The more I know, the less worried I feel. It's hard to assess what nature is trying to tell me, since I'm stressed pretty much near constantly (I'm working on it, but caregiving for my mother has really messed me up). I like the suggestion about watching for mosquitos and also keeping an eye on the temperature. One of the things that I was worried about was how much time I had left to make a decision. Frankly, I'd rather he not be on anything, but the thought of taking him in for periodic heartworm tests is not thrilling either, since car rides are no fun for Bobby (and therefore me). Is there anyway to simply keep mosquitos away from Bobby (in addition, of course, to optimizing his health)?

@Dr. Jeff

What's an HMDM call? Is that the monthly 15 minute call? If so, yes, I'd love to discuss.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Exactly Danielle.

HMDM=Holistic Medical Decision Making.

I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Yes, to your keeping mosquito away question!

Try the animalEO blends like Away and Evict, Wondercide spray or Calm 'N Soothe (from me and homevet,com).

DanielleDL

VIP Member
Registered
Calm 'N Soothe
@Dr. Jeff - I was rereading this post, and since Bobby has an aversion to Away and Wondercide (due to the strong smell, I imagine), I was curious, what's in Calm N Soothe? If it's not as strong smelling as the others, maybe that would be better to use as a pest repellent (and it seems to have so many other benefits as well!)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question Danielle!

Calm N Soothe is a mild blend of essential oils of Lavender Oil, Rosemary Leaf Oil, Moroccan thyme Oil, Mediterranean cypress Oil, and Geranium Flower Oil.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom