• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Coconut oil - traditional vs. liquid

FrancineR

All-Access Member
Registered
I just read the following article on coconut and want to share it on the Forum. Looks like I’ll stay with the traditional…

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I agree - I prefer the natural product.
Always open to learning about exceptions.

thanks for sharing this, Francine.

Dr. C

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great article!

Thanks for sharing here Francine.

BTW-Coconut oil (the real stuff) is often loved by dogs and cats, adds good calories (for pets that need to gain weight) and can help their bodies heal by providing needed nutrients.

AlysonR

All-Access Member
Registered
Searches of caprylic acid and capric acid on pubmed produced interesting articles on their uses against yeast infections and cancer. I think the article referenced above was a bit limited in scope. It depends on what you are using the coconut oil or MCT oil for. MCT oil, in particular, is known to be helpful for CDS: Efficacy of a Therapeutic Diet on Dogs With Signs of Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome (CDS): A Prospective Double Blinded Placebo Controlled Clinical Study.

So...just saying whole coconut oil vs. MCT oil is better for you (and/or your dog or cat) leaves out a WHOLE lot of information. In general, I would agree that the less processing something goes through, the better, but fractionating (which is how they make MCT oil) is not a particularly dangerous process. Again, it's all about the reason you're taking (or giving) it.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I use both forms; they serve different needs. Here's a somewhat lightweight outline of the benefits of MCTs:

Dr. Mercola uses it to raise ketone levels, and calls it one of the most valuable fats.

I use it in foods, the boy's dinner, and just to take a swig from, now and then. Coconut is more often a topical here - I keep an open tin of it next to our bed, and when I apply it, Yuji asks to lick some from the tin.

I think the article Francine linked is possibly a bit sophomoric in its agenda...

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I use coconut oil topically, but sorry, I have to strongly disagree with feeding it to cats or dogs. The primary fat, lauric acid (50% of coconut oil), is digested as a long-chain rather than medium-chain triglyceride. It is known to cause intestinal inflammation/leaky gut. Neither cats nor dogs derive any benefit from lauric acid other than calories. Veterinarians have reported it to be unpalatable to cats and potentially associated with hepatic lipidosis; and it may contribute to pancreatitis in dogs. Coconut Oil For Dogs: New Research Says Stay Away

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom