• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Chinese herbs and suggestions for pets with cancer

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
@Dr. Sue kindly shared this wonderful info. It was in response to a kitty with cancer who was already working with a vet care team of a local vet, oncologist, and homeopath. However, no one with as much TCM info as Sue!

Ideally, every pet with a serious diagnosis like cancer will work with a vet care team.

Here's Dr. Sue's wonderful reply to @MaryM:

The most common Chinese herbal formulas that I use for addressing cancerous masses (Phlegm, Blood Stasis) are from Jing Tang Herbals. If her BEAM is strong like you say and her digestion is strong then the combination of Stasis Breaker and Max’s Formula. Stasis Breaker is a strong herbal, so if she can’t handle that digestively (develops vomiting/diarrhea) then substitute Wei Qi Booster. Or you can be conservative and start with Max’s Formula or Wei Qi Booster or a combo of both. Here are the indications for each:

Stasis Breaker: Break Blood stasis, soften the hardness and support the body's normal removal of phlegm and masses. Contraindications: do not use on weak animals.
Max’s Formula: Soften the hardness and clear nodules. Contraindications: none
Wei Qi Booster: Tonifies Qi and Blood, boosts Wei Qi (immune system) and supports normal cell division. Contraindications: Do not use in conditions with Excess Heat (Acute inflammation or infection, high fever).

They come in very small tea pills which are easiest to dose in a cat. Dosing: 1-2 pills per 10 lbs body weight twice daily

I have a compounding pharmacy that will even make them into a liquid. Here is a copy of the discussion group thread on this topic from the TCVM forum:

Commonly prescribed herbals include Wei Qi Booster, Stasis Breaker, and Max’s Formula, which do not interfere with chemotherapy or radiation treatments. These formulas can be safely used in patients undergoing chemotherapy as long as patients have a strong Spleen Qi (No diarrhea, no inappetence and no vomiting).

How easily administer herbs to pets?
Medicating cats and small dogs with herbs can be challenging. Here are some tips for you and your clients.
1. Try to administer the medication when the pet is very hungry.
2. The herbal can be mixed in something the pet likes the most, such as meat, fish, peanut butter, liverwurst, cottage cheese, moist or wet food, or disguised in a treat. A good trick is giving the first treat with no herbal, then the second treat with the herb and immediately offering another one with no herbs, so the second treat containing the herbal one can be swallowed without being chewed. Once the herbal medication is consumed, then serve the rest of the meal.
3. Take some time to let the pet get used to the smell and taste of herbs. You may even start with the lower dose first: use only 1/8 the dose of the herb, and mix the herbal with honey and the food the pet likes the most, once daily for 5 days, and then twice daily, and then gradually increase to the normal dosage.
4. Some pets like to eat ice cubes. You may use herbal powder or pour herbal powder out of the capsule, mix with a small amount of water and honey, and freeze to make ice cubes This mothed may be suitable for cooling herbs.
5. You can even be more creative and make herbal cookies. This mothed may be suitable for warming herbs.
6. If all the above methods do not work, then using a Pet Piller may be necessary to deliver the herbal to the back of the throat.
Each animal is different, and you may have to experiment to determine what works for your pet. A gentle, intentional, and a no-nonsense approach may help. The pet may sense your reluctance and will also become resistant or even recalcitrant, so one must be kind, but firm and determined.

I hope this helps! Best of health to this kitty. ❤

FYI – I also use thymus extract – VF Thymex from Standard Process – to support most of my pets who have cancer. It almost always muscle tests strong, and I’ve had several pets where masses have decreased in size with this supplement.

Have a great weekend,

Sue
Sue Howell, DVM, CVFT, CVA
Thrive Wholistic Veterinary Care
www.thrivepetvet.com

This info. is not individualized for your pet, so can not replace working 1:1 with a TCVM (Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine) vet who knows your pet.

MaryM

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi, thanks so much to you both ! I am just now seeing the post so apologize for the delay in thanking you. So many good suggestions on administering the medications which I will try as I always struggle in this area, & the thymus suggestion makes sense & it is certainly encouraging to read that masses have decreased in some cases from this supplement. Thanks! Thanks also for outlining the 3 most common TCVM herbals used with cancer. Good also to know they don't generally interfere with radiation treatments. Kateeh feels so well - very good BEAM - but there has been new slight local growth under his tongue as discovered at the last recheck at the end of December, so I am seeking to broaden his health support even further (& have not ruled out radiation). TCVM would be new for us & sounds like a good way to enhance his overall health in addition to the nutritional improvements & homeopathic work recently started. Thanks.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom