• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Chicken necks for cats

ValerieE

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello Everyone. I am having a hard time sourcing fresh chicken necks for my cat. I am afraid to buy them online in bulk frozen and not be able to defrost them one at a time. If using them, where do you get them? How many of them is your cat eating per day or week? The butcher at my local grocery store rolled his eyes when I inquired about chicken necks (as those are not edible by humans he said). I am in Canada /Ontario. Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Valerie-

The only sources I know are local or online.

You should be able to keep them frozen and defrost only 1 or 2 at time.

Cat and feeding expert @Dr. Jean may have some safe sourcing ideas.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Try a Chinese grocery. Or find a coop and do a split with others. They make great soup. Are you vegan? Most of a chicken would be perfectly edible by cats when cut into appropriate servings. The rest does make soup....

ValerieE

All-Access Member
Registered
Try a Chinese grocery. Or find a coop and do a split with others. They make great soup. Are you vegan? Most of a chicken would be perfectly edible by cats when cut into appropriate servings. The rest does make soup....
I thought about it but I am getting nervous with giving her raw bones. Cutting the meat off an entire chicken is a lot of work if I use the bones for broth only to freeze for the cat, and I will get one chicken neck only. We do not eat chicken unfortunately.

ValerieE

All-Access Member
Registered
Do you give chicken bones to your cat? Any bone?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Under supervision (so no scarfing of big pieces).

Chicken/turkey/duck necks can be safer (tiny bones/cartilage):

JulyS

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff, what great carpet you have! Did you also feed your kitty something else? Was that a different blend in the bowl?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks July for noticing the leopard carpet! It matches Aviva's gorgeous (wild cat) coat perfectly.

Yes, there was a different blend in the bowl (great observation!). It was Archie's raw meat blend of meat/bone/organs/glands. I think that batch was from Bones & Co. (we vary the suppliers with each batch of food).

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
BTW-As per Dr. Jean's great advice, we have dramatically reduced the frequency that we offer whole chicken wings (she advised not using them for most cats because of kitties weakened digestive ability and therefore increased chance of obstruction).

Aviva's BEAM was off for a few days after eating them for 3 days in a row while she was digesting them. We keep trying out new hard things for her to eat (Amy just dehydrated some sardines).

JulyS

All-Access Member
Registered
That's great. Where did you get sardines to dehydrate? Are they big or small? I can access very large frozen ones or small canned.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm not sure where Amy gets them.

Any size is fine. If fresh ones are available locally, that's perfect! If not, you can use the low salt ones in the can.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom