• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Certified Service Dogs

SarahH

Community Member
Registered
Hello all,
My name is Sarah Hodgson.

I am a trainer in the northeast with a certification with the IAABC. Since the airlines have denied service animals boarding the plane with their people, I have many clients asking me how to get their dogs certified so they can accompany them on planes, restaurants, and additional places. The question I am asked most often is; do you certify service dogs? I have shared this article and explained that unless the dog is doing a specific and needed service (e.g., mobility support and hearing support, etc.) there are no other workarounds that I am aware of. Are you also getting this question? Is there something I am missing or don't know about? Thanks for weighing in.

Bye for now,
Sarah Hodgson

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Sarah,
You are absolutely correct, there is no certification. The AKC article describes the situation well.
I am afraid that the airlines are, in part, reacting to the fraudulent use of the term service dog, for animals that are not performing a specific service. I have heard people boast that they were able to take their dog places by pretending that they needed it for service, when in fact they did not. (I have explained this is not a good idea, though most people seemed to not care.) Unfortunately, this fraudulent practice has rebounded to adversely affect people who truly need service animals.

When people truly need a service animal, I suggest that they call ahead to where they want to take their animal, and explain what essential service their animal provides. Under ADA, the animal should be allowed to accompany them to help them.
Airlines are a special case, and you may need to search for an accommodating airline. I was able to help one client by writing a letter to verify her claims for her service dog.
Best,
Dr. Sara

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Sarah!

I had not heard this so thanks so much for bringing up this important question.

As Dr. Sara and the article say, there are no general workarounds. Tho specific situations may warrant, and airlines may allow, a pet parent to bring a well-behaved toy dog on the aircraft but not allow another. I guess that once again it depends...

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom