• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cats repellent

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Jean - hello. One of my neighbors has about 8 cats which she allows to roam freely in the neighborhood. I’ve been dealing with her cats coming to my porch trying to catch hummingbirds…(I have two hummingbirds feeders there).

I researched online for natural cat deterrents such as spraying peppermint and citrus oils as…as well
Using a water spray at them but to no avail. Im desperate here! Anything else I can try?

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
The problem with deterrents is that they have to function every single time, and at the exact *instant* the unwanted behavior occurs, whether you're there to see them or not. Otherwise they will just learn not to do things while you are looking! (Of course, this goes for every type of "punishment" in every species, which is why punishment doesn't work!!) So the options are limited.

A motion-activated hose sprinkler is one that make sense, given the parameters. If you don't want to be constantly futzing with it, get a splitter for the spigot so you can use a separate hose for actual watering duties.

Otherwise, re-locating the feeders where the cats can't get near the birds, or using some type of fencing to prevent feline access without interfering with their flight, is about the best you can do.

If you don't particularly care about your relationship with the neighbor, trapping the offenders and fitting them with bird-safe collars might get your point across. Or possibly the sheer mortification of being seen wearing it will make the cats hide away forever! Birds have excellent color vision and will definitely get the hint long before the cat is in striking distance.

Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 9.10.39 PM.png

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you, @Dr. Jean - They used to come by my porch while I was home until I started spraying them away with a spray bottle (through my window). And they'd stopped coming by as often. However, I found three cats sitting on my porch waiting for the hummingbirds while I was out walking my pup today. I guess they do know when we're out!

I will look into the motion activated sprinkler but using it may be a little tricky because I live in a townhome and right in front of my porch is the public parking area. I certainly don't want to spray my neighbors :p

I don't dare touching those cats. When they're still kittens, they came at my dog (7 of them) and I tried to stop them and the mother cat came and scratched me pretty badly. [Thankfully, I had Yunan Baiyo powder and it stopped the bleeding (fast).] So...the bird-safe collars are out of the question ... they're so cute though :)

BillH

All-Access Member
Registered
If the neighbor cat(s) enjoy standing directly under the birdcage, you may try to cover that section of the floor of your area ,if possible, with tin foil or an overturned doormat with the spiky traction side up. One of my clients from years ago tried this with all of the citrus methodologies , to include with pine oil as well. One of the feral rescue agencies I use to assist supporting also told me about this in my research at that time for my client?? Hope this may help GB

Last edited:

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
If the neighbor cat(s) enjoys standing directly under the birdcage, you may try cover that section of the floor of your area ,if possible with tin foil or an overturned doormat with the spiky traction side up. One of my clients from years ago tried this with all of the citrus methodologies , to include with pine oil as well. One of the feral rescue agencies I use to assist supporting also told me about this in my research at that time for my client?? Hope this may help GB
Thank you for the great and helpful suggestion - I am going to look into this option as well for sure.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom