• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cat not feeling well, hiding in out of way places.

Betty

All-Access Member
Registered
Frankie is an 8 year old Maine Coon cat. Sweet disposition with very gentle ways.
He ran down the stairs after our puppy chased him a few days ago and hasn't been the same since. He is hiding behind the bed and out of way places.
He usually will hang nearby when we are home, but he has been hiding underneath furniture or behind our bed on the 2nd floor. He hissed at the dog the next day after the stairs incident and he has never hissed in his life. He also hissed at me when I went near him. I knew he was in some kind of pain, but wasn't sure what exactly was bothering him. We took him to one of his veterinarians for an exam and they couldn't find anything. Pancreatitis and urinary test were all okay. Routine blood test showed mild elevated kidney value with mild dehydration. He didn't want to eat one of his meals, but if we carry him to his eating bench he will eat his regular meal. He is using the litter box once or twice a day. He does move, but he hunches his back and seems to hold his leg close to his body. I'm thinking he hurt his back or leg when running down the stairs. I will try some arsenicum unless someone has another suggestion. Thanks for your thoughts.
Betty

Frankie floor 8-21.jpg

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Because it was possibly trauma, you may want to start with Arnica. I do not see any indications for Arsenicum album.

Always good to have Rescue Remedy at hand as it would be perfect for this situation.

doing a great physical exam now and daily may help you decide if a veterinary visit is needed. Do compare both sides at the same time.

Dr. Christina

Betty

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Christina,
I did use the rescue remedy, but was only able to use a spray form when this first happened. Frankie is actually starting to come around which is a good sign. He meowed this morning to announce he was awake and that we should be too. He came downstairs on his own to eat, but is moving slowly and is still not himself. I will dose with arnica this morning and let you know what happens.
thank you,
Betty

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Betty,
As Dr. Chambreau recommended, Arnica is an excellent choice if trauma is suspected.
If Frankie still seems stiff and sore, I would consider Rhus tox (if he seems to improve after moving around a bit) or Ruta grav (if he does not limber up after moving around).

Please address the even more important puppy introduction issue as well. Frankie is likely emotionally upset because of the puppy's presence, and the puppy is only being a puppy. Maine Coons are known for their docile and adaptable disposition, and we want Frankie to be as happy as possible.
Whenever a puppy or dog is introduced into a house with a cat, it is vital to ensure that the cat controls when and where they interact with the canine intruder, as that is how the cat views this bouncy, noisy, large (to them), and uncivilised creature.
Gate the puppy away from the cat. There are gates that will allow a cat to move through at will and exclude large puppies. You can also put jumping perches on each side of the gate so that the cat can jump up before jumping over. When you let the cat control the dog interactions, you are improving the cat's opinion of the whole situation, from a full out dog invasion to a minor encroachment!
Remember to reward the puppy for being calm around Frankie, and teach puppy to settle or place as soon as possible.
Ensure that the puppy can not get anywhere near Frankie's litter box, food, and water and that Frankie always has a safe, dog-free route to these important resources. When cats feel threatened or anxious, they are less likely to eat and drink adequately. They may also decide that they will eliminate where they feel safe, and no one likes finding urine and stool in strange places!
I hope this helps!
Dr. Sara

Betty

All-Access Member
Registered
Dear Betty,
As Dr. Chambreau recommended, Arnica is an excellent choice if trauma is suspected.
If Frankie still seems stiff and sore, I would consider Rhus tox (if he seems to improve after moving around a bit) or Ruta grav (if he does not limber up after moving around).

Please address the even more important puppy introduction issue as well. Frankie is likely emotionally upset because of the puppy's presence, and the puppy is only being a puppy. Maine Coons are known for their docile and adaptable disposition, and we want Frankie to be as happy as possible.
Whenever a puppy or dog is introduced into a house with a cat, it is vital to ensure that the cat controls when and where they interact with the canine intruder, as that is how the cat views this bouncy, noisy, large (to them), and uncivilised creature.
Gate the puppy away from the cat. There are gates that will allow a cat to move through at will and exclude large puppies. You can also put jumping perches on each side of the gate so that the cat can jump up before jumping over. When you let the cat control the dog interactions, you are improving the cat's opinion of the whole situation, from a full out dog invasion to a minor encroachment!
Remember to reward the puppy for being calm around Frankie, and teach puppy to settle or place as soon as possible.
Ensure that the puppy can not get anywhere near Frankie's litter box, food, and water and that Frankie always has a safe, dog-free route to these important resources. When cats feel threatened or anxious, they are less likely to eat and drink adequately. They may also decide that they will eliminate where they feel safe, and no one likes finding urine and stool in strange places!
I hope this helps!
Dr. Sara
Thanks for your thoughts Dr. Sara,
Frankie is doing better everyday. I dosed him with arnica 30c 10/1 swab yesterday. He actually came downstairs on his own after that to eat and hang out a bit more and today he is acting almost back to normal and moving with greater ease. Frankie has a great set up here for eating and relaxing. He has his own elevated bench for eating and laying down. He can also escape to the sofa and a few other safe spots. Fortunately the puppy can't jump on anything yet as he is a shih tzu (7 lbs) and still pretty small. Frankie's litter box is in a room that puppy can't get to either. My boys are getting used to one another with Frankie being very tolerant and Louis still needs to learn his manners :).
thanks again,
Betty

Betty

All-Access Member
Registered
New update on Frankie. He has soft stools/diarrhea the last two days. He came downstairs with ease yesterday and he seemed almost back to himself, but his energy is not there. He stayed upstairs all day today, and didn't come down for his mid day snack. We carried him down for dinner which he ate. He clearly is off although all bloodwork came back okay. We did give him some sardines which could of aggravated his belly, though I am not sure. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thank you,
Betty

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Had you dosed him before Arnica?

If so, what symptoms did you see, and what happened with them.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Thanks for the update.

This is an example of the benefits of having created a health care team that includes a variety of help. A chiropractic exam may be useful now, or a good TCVM (traditional chinese veterinary medicine) exam with tongue and pulse. If you were already a patient of a homeopathic vet, you would be able to get individualized remedy selection.

Having some diarrhea can be a clearing (I doubt it is the sardines) but the lower BEAM could be a negative sign or merely a response (only temporary) to the Arnica.
Dr. Christina

Betty

All-Access Member
Registered
Had you dosed him before Arnica?

If so, what symptoms did you see, and what happened with them.
Hi Dr. Jeff,

I had originally dosed him with pulsatilla, when he first started exhibiting his symptoms, with no real change. Since then I gave him a dose of Arnica four days later when it looked like he was sore from running down the stairs. His body was moving better after this, but then he developed diarrhea 2 days later. He tried to vomit at 2 am last night and also had a diarrhea bowel movement. poop was consistency of pudding and not formed. I gave him a dose of arsenicum last night (5 days after arnica) to see if this would help improve his belly symptoms. He hasn't used the litter box since this mornings movement so I don't know if helped the belly distress. He didn't want his lunchtime snack yesterday or today. Still seems very skittish and a bit fearful. He's had those symptoms the whole time. All remedy doses were 30c, 10/1 swab.

thank you,
Betty

Betty

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for the update.

This is an example of the benefits of having created a health care team that includes a variety of help. A chiropractic exam may be useful now, or a good TCVM (traditional chinese veterinary medicine) exam with tongue and pulse. If you were already a patient of a homeopathic vet, you would be able to get individualized remedy selection.

Having some diarrhea can be a clearing (I doubt it is the sardines) but the lower BEAM could be a negative sign or merely a response (only temporary) to the Arnica.
Dr. Christina
Dr. Jeff is our veterinarian. I may schedule an appointment if Frankie isn't feeling better soon.
Thank you Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Betty-

Ars was a great choice to give so let's see how his BEAM is by the weekend (no other doses).

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I wonder if Aconitum would be appropriate at some point. I've used it for kitties who have had what--in their opinion, which is the one thaat counts!--a life-threatening experience. Often helpful even long after the incident. It can really turn them around. But I defer to the actual homeopaths on the list!

Also, here is our full protocol for cat-to-dog introductions:
Cat-to-Dog Introductions | Little Big Cat

Betty

All-Access Member
Registered
I wonder if Aconitum would be appropriate at some point. I've used it for kitties who have had what--in their opinion, which is the one thaat counts!--a life-threatening experience. Often helpful even long after the incident. It can really turn them around. But I defer to the actual homeopaths on the list!

Also, here is our full protocol for cat-to-dog introductions:
Cat-to-Dog Introductions | Little Big Cat
Thank you for the suggestion Dr. Jean. I will see how things go with the arsenicum dose I gave to Frankie overnight, but will keep Aconitum in my arsenal if needed.

Betty

Betty

All-Access Member
Registered
Frankie is doing much better. He was alert most of yesterday, was asking for food and hung out with us all day. He came in our bed at 6 am this morning and was purring up a storm. So far okay today too. :)

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom