• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Car sick

Magali

VIP Member
Registered
Hello not sure if this topic has been talked about. But I have a 10 month old Maltese mix that salivates and gets really sick during car rides. Is there anything I can do to help her? Thank you!

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
There are a couple of homeopathic remedies that can be used as "first aid" for this. My dog responded best to Ipecac, a few pellets in 1 oz of water and dosed from that. A few drops at the beginning of a trip and he was fine. It would be best to find his constitutional remedy and work from the inside out, but in an emergency...!

EFT also worked amazingly well. I was new to that modality then, and I tapped directly on the dog. He curled up and went to sleep. Now I would do it surrogately, but either way can be very helpful.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Rescue remedy and other flower essences are totally safe and can be very effective.
I echo using EFT that Dr. Jean suggested, or Emotion code or Reiki
Also, be sure you are carefully getting her used to the rides. Go one block and home, 2 blocks, etc.
Check with an animal intuitive!
Dr. Christina

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
Hours before car rides (to the vet, for example), I would rub rescue remedy on my pup's belly, paws and inside of her ear flaps...in addition to that, I give CBD oil.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
sometimes the RR or other flower essences need to be given repeatedly before and DURING the car ride.
Dr. C

AlysonR

VIP Member
Registered
I had a dog I named River because he 'drooled a river' during the car ride back from the adoption place -- about a 20 minute ride. A picture of him on a particularly bad day (with a beard of drool) hangs in a certain dental office :). All that said, I did get him past it, and he eventually loved car rides. Here are some steps that helped:

Training: 'car as playground'. With the car in the driveway and all doors open, puts some treats on the step up to the backseat (or wherever she'll be riding) and get her to take them (you may need to lift her to them). Do that several times. Then put some on the edge of the seat. Show her where they are and have her collect them. Then move the treats further towards the center of the car (or truck or whatever). Let her hop into the car on one side (or place her there), collect treats, and hop out on the other (or collect her on the other side). When she's happy to be collected to go get her treats, you're ready to increase the time in the backseat (or wherever). Have her collect the treats, then drop some more there for her to collect, then take her out. Increase time gradually.

When she'll sit in her spot waiting for treats. Close one door -- furthest from her position, have her in her spot and toss her treats. Then close two doors. Then three. Then the fourth. Keep the treats coming (obviously do this over multiple days). At this point, get her in her spot, get yourself in your spot, toss her some treats and start and stop the engine, and then give her some more treats and get out. You'll probably be able to quickly progress to leaving the engine on while you toss her treats.

Then work towards moving the car a *little* bit. Then to the end of the driveway and back. Then to the end of the street. Etc. First trip to actually go anywhere should be *FUN* for her. The above will address claustrophobia, and expectations of bad things. You may need to withhold food before traveling, too, at least until she no longer expects to feel queasy.

For River (who had claustrophobia, too), the final cure was a trip we took out West (we were living in MD). The first leg was up to NY. He threw up, so no more breakfast before travel. After that, as we got onto long stretches of straight highway, and I was able to apply pressure to a couple of accupressure points on his knee and wrist (someone else was driving), he got better and better. When we got to the trip up Pikes Peak in CO, he made it just fine. And he was fine after that!

I recognize you may not have the time to spend an hour driving on a straight, flat highway daily, but anything you can do to make the next (multiple) trips as easy as possible will help.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
alyson, thanks so much for sharing your success!! Awesome.
Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome to HA! and thanks for sharing about your pup.

It sounds like you already got some great suggestions (thanks so much Alison, Christine, Drs. Christina and Jean for making them).

Feel free to ask if we can help with your baby in any way.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom