• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Canned food risks

JaneS

All-Access Member
Registered
my vet discourages dry food and I do not give that to my cats, maybe one scoop a few times a week in the evening. I know that raw food is the best thing for cats but my cats will not go near it except for one. Feeding them by products causes cancer I have read enough about that to see that is true. What can I do to get them to transition to raw food? It is an expensive project if they walk away from the dish and will not eat it. It’s very easy to open up cans of food but I know that I’m I actually hurting them in the long run. I have tried sprinkling things on top that have been suggested by I believe Dr Christina or Dr. Sue. Another problem is that my vet is recommending renal diet for one of my cats and I have read many times that it is not the healthiest diet. She tells me it is a complete diet. My cat licks it and really will go eat from somebody else’s dish so he’s not eating it anyway. How healthy is it for my cat to eat regular food instead of the prescribed diet? I have faith in my doctor but I I know vets will easily reach for the alphabet food from hills science.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Jane-

Sorry for the slow reply. It's fantastic that you want to transition your kitties to raw food! Yes, this can be a challenge for some kitties but is well worth the time and expense. You may end up healthier cats with fewer medical expenses.

Have you tried using cooked food instead? These have the benefit of higher vitality than canned foods, and are also may be more palatable than raw.

Start by mixing a few bites of cooked food in with a favorite flavor of canned food. If that works, you can increase the amount. Remember though, that variety is key when feeding large amounts of any fresh food.

Also, the diet section in the holistic fun-damentals course over at the main site has more tips and recipes to add variety.

BTW-Two quick tips, that most cats love, are rotisserie chicken and Wysong Dream Treats. These are both great to add to any diet for increasing palatability.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom