• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Bug Off Garlic chewables and garlic doggie breath

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff

So I decided to try Bug Off Garlic chewables for added flea/tick/mosquito repellant, and I don't know yet how it will work on those, but I can say for sure that it's 100% effective on repelling husbands because my hubs can't stand the smell of Bobby's garlic breath. Is there anything I can do to reduce the doggie garlic breath? It's pretty potent and I've only given Bobby one chewable (and he's supposed to have 3. Six during the spring and fall!). I personally don't mind, because I love the smell of garlic, but the side effect of a whiney husband is not something I want to deal with. Maybe put them in pill wrap (like Pill Pockets) so that Bobby swallows them instead of chews them? Will his entire body eventually start to smell like garlic (my husband will definitely not stand for that, and I think I would even draw the line as well)? (and of course, it was buy 2, get 2 free, so I have 4 large bottles of it. I need to stop doing that before I've tested out products first :rolleyes:)

Thanks as always for your help!

Edit: I checked in on Bobby's breath about 10 minutes after giving him the pills, and I don't detect any garlic smell, so maybe I jumped the gun. His mouth was closed when I tried to smell, and he looked peaceful so I didn't want to pry his mouth open, but I'll report back when I get a chance to really smell his breath again. Fingers crossed!

Edit 2: I think the garlic breath fades quickly (now Bobby just has normal dog breath). The question still stands, will he start to emit any garlic scent from his skin once I get him up to the full spring/fall dose?

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great post and important point about the odor of garlic/Bug Off Danielle!

No. I have never seen garlic body odor from Bug Off garlic. Amy (my wife) is super sensitive to the odor of garlic and has never detected an odor from Archie (who is on the full dose a times).

I'd love to hear what others like @Dr. Christina, @Dr. Sara @Dr. Sue and @dr_ judy herman have to say about their experiences tho.

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
Great to hear @Dr. Jeff ! Luckily the garlic breath was very temporary. Glad to hear that there won't be a four-legged garlic clove walking around the house all year. :D This morning I mixed the chewable in with Bobby's breakfast and I think he just swallowed it whole, cuz no garlic breath! (and no complaints from the hubs. Woohoo!)

Dr. Sue

Certified Veterinary Food Therapist
All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
I can't comment because I've never used it. Sorry!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom