• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

BPC-157 (body protective compound-157) Peptides Capsules

ivegrgas

VIP Member
Registered
I am curious if anyone has experience or opinions about use of BPC-157 (body protective compound-157) Peptides capsules. I learned about this compound from a local raw food expert who has written an on-line post about it and is recommending it to help dog's with (1) joint and tissue support; (2) promote digestive support; (3) neurological support; and (4) endothelial nitric oxide production.

Based on my limited reach I was able to find a pre-clinical safety study that concludes it is "well tolerated" by dogs.

Thanks!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I am curious if anyone has experience or opinions about use of BPC-157
Not here.

It looks like an interesting compound with potential uses.

I have not seen any compelling in vivo evidence for its use however.

Here's what they say in rats:

Gastric pentadecapeptide BPC 157 (BPC 157), which has been shown to be safe in clinical trials for inflammatory bowel disease (PL-10, PLD-116, PL14736, Pliva, Croatia), may be able to cure intestinal anastomosis dehiscence

For general whole body support perhaps look instead at things like C60, mitochondrial support agents and even good 'ole vit C.

ivegrgas

VIP Member
Registered
When I first read about this compound I was skeptical because the application appears to be so broad from wound healing to digestion and improved brain function. But then yesterday's speaker who was discussing TCM approach to healing disease pointed out how various organs are connected (in this particular case she was drawing a link between lungs and kidneys) so than I thought that a broad application of a compound like this may be possible.

I did hear from one individual who has used this compound in the capsule form and is reporting significant improvement in the healing of his joints. I had also recently listened to a podcast discussing pros and cons of using anecdotal data to make treatment decisions due to the cost of running clinical trials. Hence my question to this forum.

PS - I did notice that these studies originate in Croatia :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
TCM approach to healing disease pointed out how various organs are connected
Exactly! One life force connects all organs.

ivegrgas

VIP Member
Registered
Exactly! One life force connects all organs.
So, even though, future testing or anecdotal evidence may confirm this compound's effectiveness in treating various ailments, but any such treatment would be palliative since it does not support the whole person (i.e., the one life force).

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Not necessarily. Supporting the body while it heals is not palliative per se.

Eliminating symptoms strictly for the sake of removing them is palliative.

A bandaid may stop the bleeding but does not help the body heal.

Any time you try a new supportive supplement, just keep an eye on BEAM. As long as it is not decreasing then t's a good thing that the symptom is relieved.

However, if you wean or stop the supplement and the symptom comes back in full force, then the whole being is not improving (tho the symptom did temporarily).

@Dr. Christina or @dr_ judy herman may have other thoughts about this.

ivegrgas

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you for this response, Dr. Jeff. This discussion is helping me further my understanding of certain themes (I am calling them themes because I do not know of a better name) and their interplay.

Rightfully or not, but in my mid I have thought of palliation as any approach that is treating a symptom but not leading to a cure. And I have also formed a very negative perception of palliation. Example that I would always think of is using NSAIDs to lower the fever when treating a viral infection that may reduce body's natural ability to heal. However, in the example of applying a band-aid on a bleeding cut, it is actually giving body the time it needs to heal. Other examples or palliation may include using colloidal oatmeal to treat skin rash or probiotics to improve gut flora (neither of which, to my knowledge, have homeopathic properties).

I imagine that a homeopathic practitioner who is trying to do an inventory of symptoms to determine a holistic remedy must take into account palliative care used to manage symptoms. For example, a symptom a "skin itching" treated with colloidal oatmeal may be in reality "skin burning."

For me, this discussion illustrates how these various treatment approaches are not exclusive and can co-exist and indeed help certain patients in a way that each approach could not achieve on its own.

Again, thank you Dr. Jeff. And I of course would love to hear from @Dr. Christina or @dr_ judy herman their impressions of this discussion and/or specifically about BPC 157.

Thank you all!
Ive

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I imagine that a homeopathic practitioner who is trying to do an inventory of symptoms to determine a holistic remedy must take into account palliative care used to manage symptoms.
Exactly! And this masking of symptoms is the biggest challenge from palliation IMHO.

dr_ judy herman

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I am unfamiliar with BPC 157, so I can't comment on it. Palliation is easily miss understood. In certification of homeopaths this seems to bring confusion. Any modality can palliate. In homeopathy our goal is always to cure the patient and bring a higher vitality which leads to a higher level of health overall. The distinction between cure, palliation and suppression is very important. When treating a patient whose BEAM is improving, no matter how slow or fast the symptoms are resolving, implies a higher level of vitality and one can assume you are moving towards cure. Suppression is when a treatment resolves the concerning symptoms but not the underlying mistunement. Usually you need to either stay on the treatment or repeatedly have the treatment to feel better, which then leads to a more serious problem. The most common illustration is the use of steroids for allergies. The long term results is a much more serious problem than before, such as organ failure. Palliation doesn't remove the underlying mistunement either. It will improve some or all the symptoms but the BEAM will be slightly improved or no change at all. Often you have to stay on the treatment to find comfort. The underlying dis-ease continues to progress and palliative treatment eventually fails. An example of palliation is prescription diets. Using supportive nutritional supplements, herbs, and therapies that bring comfort but not masking the symptoms, allows the practitioner to assess their treatment, while supporting the patient. With any treatment maintaining quality nutrition, exercise, and hygiene is very important too.

ivegrgas

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you, @dr_ judy herman!

I appreciate your input on the distinction between cure, palliation and suppression and accompanying descriptions.

I especially like how you called out the importance of hygiene. It was a session lead by Dr. Sara Chapman on that topic that made me re-examine certain things that previously I took for granted.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Yowza! Great post, Dr. H.! This is one of the most common areas of misunderstanding in homeopathy, and the place where many poorly prescribed cases get "stuck". Often remedies will be given on a "this for that" basis, and then the case gets muddied and confused, with any chance for progress stymied.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom