• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

Blossom's blood work results

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Blossom finally got her blood work done last friday after taking her to 4 vets who could not do it and one of those was a hospital--shocking the hospital was unable to do it without the suggestion of sedation. So anyway wanted someone to weigh in on these tests: Reticulocytes 148 and the upper limit is 110.
Potassium 5.7 with upper limit of 5.4.
Na:K 26 and closer to the lower limit of 28
Platelets on the higher side but still normal
RBC and Hematocrit still in the upper range but still normal.

Some of the above results represent a pattern---2 of the last 3 Na:K ration were out of range
She has a history of hematocrit going off. She does not drink water but a vet told me her dogs never drank water either eating a fresh diet and when she put them on kibble they drank a lot of water. Blossom drinks juices from cooked meats and also goat milk.

Vets always say oh don't worry, the platelets are higher because the blood clots in the tube or some other lab explained thing. What my observation of 2 other dogs on this matter of platelets that were blown off was a disease they developed consistent with either high or low platelets. I had one of each case. So the blow off was presumptious and wrong. I look at patterns and placement in the range, UNlike the vet. I was right in most cases in the past---such as when albumin was declining for almost a year and nobody got concerned except me until it got so low.

This morning Blossom did not eat her breakfast. Maybe seems less energy or happy. Lately the past two weeks she has to be called. to eat for breakfast--not dinner. Today I called her a while and she did not come for some time. Then the past few weeks she looks at the food, looks up a few times, maybe tries it and eats more slowly. This is mainly with breakfast and not dinner. She had 4 instances of bilious vomit the past 2 -3 weeks or so. I noticed with another dog I used to have that she had occasional bilious vomit but where there was a problem it happened more often, i.e. thyroid tumor, PLE , hemangiosarcoma, eventually developed with increased bilious vomit

Do not know if the lab still has her blood but is there anything else to test. Her liver was ok. Amylase was a bit on the low side but normal at 398 with the lower limit of 337 and upper limit 1469

Talked to the homeopath last week and mentioned the vomit but I don't think it was part of any overall imbalance he saw. She is prescribed the ruta, arnica and rhus tox --did not start yet. It is time for another monthly dose of carbonica calcarea.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Lil!

Reticulocytes 148 and the upper limit is 110.
Potassium 5.7 with upper limit of 5.4.
Na:K 26 and closer to the lower limit of 28
Platelets on the higher side but still normal
None of these values would concern me. However without the full context my answer to whether any of them may be problematic is that it depends...

the platelets are higher because the blood clots in the tube
It's just the opposite (clots often artificially decrease platelet numbers).

such as when albumin was declining for almost a year and nobody got concerned except me until it got so low.
That would concern me as well. The "trend is your friend".

the past two weeks she has to be called. to eat for breakfast
A big symptom for Calc carb!
Do not know if the lab still has her blood but is there anything else to test.
Did you test her t4 or free t4?

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Hey Lil!

None of these values would concern me. However without the full context my answer to whether any of them may be problematic is that it depends...

It's just the opposite (clots often artificially decrease platelet numbers).

That would concern me as well. The "trend is your friend".

A big symptom for Calc carb!

Did you test her t4 or free t4?
I like that saying a lot the trend is your friend......
She is taking the Calc carb for the past few months once a month and supposed to continue. i thought he said it was for healing---I assumed healing of the ligament. Her cortisol level was right in the middle of the range, tested given the Na:K ratio with high potassium and normal sodium. Lipase was added on and was normal. She has been eating---I changed the bowl to a more shallow bowl---maybe insignificant but I DID notice how much LESS food I put in there versus the deeper bowl. So maybe that is why she is overweight... her T4 was normal but I did not do the expensive Thyroid panel like I did over a year ago which was sent to Michigan State for a hefty price. Thanks for the input.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW Lil!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom