• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Bloodwork for Cancer Pre-marker

LauraL

Community Member
Registered
I am planning my annual bloodwork check-up for my 10 yrs old Miniature Schnauzer. Our annual test normally involved with full thyroid panel plus CBC blood work analyzer by Hemopet. As she is approaching senior years, I am adding LDH and Ionized Calcium as cancer pre-marker. Are there any parameters I should consider? Thanks, Laura

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome to HA! Laura. Thanks for making your first post. ? Fantastic that you've been running annual blood tests! That's very important proactive prevention.

Great question about the best other cancer markers to consider.

First off, it's useful to look at dis-eases (imbalances) like cancer in the full holistic context. Then any biomarker can be interpreted fully.

For example, the first biomarkers to look at are called BEAM (Behavior, Energy, Appetite, Mood). BEAM is a critical set of symptoms, of things you can see, which are a direct reflection of balance and are a great clue that something is going on internally.

If BEAM is great, and if there are no other historical problems, then the next step is to trend the lab results that you've had runover the past few years.

There is a wealth of information that can be learned from trending of parameters like HCT (red blood count), albumin (a blood protein), SAP (an enzyme from various organs in the body), etc.

The reason we do this is to look for changes. For example, in this part of the country (New England) Lyme kidney disease is very prevalent. Over 90% of the dogs test positive for Lyme but very few of them have Lyme nephritis (kidney dis-ease).

However, looking for trends over time in albumin (both in blood and urine) is an important clue that Lyme nephritis may be "brewing".

Another example is called creatine creep. It is a wonderful way to uncover early kidney dis-ease by looking at "routine" creatinine levels. Even "normal" creatine levels may be found to be early warning sign of internal imbalance and potential early kidney problems:

It's like looking at a movie vs. a photograph where the latter is just a single point in time that may look great (like a "normal" blood test) whereas the movie gives you a better view of what's going on.

Anyway, I could go on and on and you'll find lots more about diagnostic screening tests and trending on the forum and in the other member resources. If you'd like to learn more about how to evaluate all symptoms in the full context of vitality, balance and wellness, this article might help:

Here's a lab panel that may not be known to your vet but which you can request to evaluate for cancer early warning signs:

Here's more info. about cancer screening in general:

Cancer Screening Tests in Veterinary Patients • MSPCA-Angell

Keep up the good work Laura and let us know what the tests show.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom