• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Bite wound: stitch or not?

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
HI...one of my dogs put a bite on my afghan Friday evening. Have been trying to avoid stitching and cleaning with sea salt water and thieves oil solution, and applying colloidal silver and butadiene several homies a day. Both breeders say don't stitch. Both vets I showed the pictures to, including the holistic vet, said stitch. Any ideas here? I tried to attache the pictures but they came as PDF, not sure how to attach as pictures but can try if these don't come through

The surgery would be tomorrow morning,

Thank you

He had surgery already in January for removing a testicle from his abdomen by the way

Attachments

• bigbird1bite.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
  • bigbird2bite.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 3

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm sorry to hear about your pup's bite.:confused: What situation provoked the bite?

It looks like you've done a great job with keeping it clean!

But if your goal is to get this gaping wound partially closed (it can't really be fully closed without removal of a section of the skin and deep cleaning/debridement) sooner than later, than a few stitches under a local anesthetic would be fastest.

If you don't mind keeping the wound clean and managing it for a few weeks, then that would work as well (in the ER we used to do that all of the time).

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
Thank you. Had I not talked to the vets I would have just dealt with keeping it open and clean. But now I got confused. The breeders both say that infection is more likely if it is closed, than open. Confusing. I guess I am looking to do what is best for him. And minimize risks of further issues. Breeder suggested a product called "Cut Heal"which I purchased but it says for minor cuts and scrapes. So am not sure, as it provides a seal/barirer (to me that makes me think bacteria can get sealed in).

That you called it a gaping wound makes me think...sew it up...

It was over a carrot. I was washing my hands and heard the eruption of sounds. Did not see it actually happen, it was fast, I think she bit him and he tried to get away, hence the tear.

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
I just re read your reply; fast healing is not more important than actual healing for me...if slow and natural healing is relatively risk free if I keep on top of things, it could be better than surgery and inserting a whole bunch of chemicals into his body...? And I heard that closing bite wounds has its risks and could require a drain, etc. I want what is better and less complicated for the dog... cosmetics not as important to me as the dog's health and well being...

Thank you

Cassandra

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Cassandra,
I agree with Dr. Jeff. You will get the most cosmetic closure (smallest scar) by suturing the wound closed, though there is some risk of infection. With thorough debridement and cleaning this risk is minimised.
Your Afghan has a coat, so the resultant slightly larger triangular scar from letting it granulate in on its own will not be evident at all. As long as you can keep the wound gently flushed, that is a fine way to handle it, and let it heal slowly from the inside out. Granulation tissue (the pink new tissue in the wound) is quite resistant to infection. Of course, if the wound were to start to develop an odour, ooze, or become inflamed and painful, then you might need further intervention, but this is unlikely.
My own greyhound got several of these wounds at various times when she would run in our woods. I sutured the first one, she had a typical rocky sighthound waking from sedation, and tried to bother the sutures for 2 weeks. I decided to let future wounds granulate in. Less upsetting for all of us, though you could see wee chevron shaped scars on her.
I use oral Calendula and Hypericum homeopathic medicines to help decrease pain and stimulate healing of wounds.
Cheers,
Dr. Sara

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom