• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Bishon Shit su 8mo old puppy with frequent choke like coughs

StephanieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Our puppy cooper seems to have many instances of choke like situations. Frels like he is choking with coughs. Nothing comes out but he acts as it he is going to throw up. It feels like cough. Has happened once in a while in the past but more frequent and he goes through periods of bouts. Typically after water or in the mornings. Some time at other times. Wonder if its just something going the wrong tube. Any thoughts?

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Mike, did he start doing it as a young pup, or only as he got older, like 4 or 5 months?

How is he otherwise - BEAM etc?

Does he make that noise when he pulls on the collar?

Dr. Christina

StephanieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for quick response.

he did do this since he was younger but it was infrequent and we didnt really see it that often. He has been doing it more. No he doesnt pull in the collar and we actually have got him a looser collar. His BEAM ia good and no other issues. He just gets these bouts and there is no trend I can point that drives it other than I have noticed post water (althou it has happened at other times too)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Mike-

About when was his rabies vaccination?

Can you think of any other triggers or environmental changes before this got worse?

About how often does this occur (at it's worst)?

StephanieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Mike-

About when was his rabies vaccination?

Can you think of any other triggers or environmental changes before this got worse?

About how often does this occur (at it's worst)?
His rabies vaccine was around mid April.

i really don't have any patterns I can draw about when this happens. Also, there hasnt been any environmental factors that have changed as such. I have aeen this in the past for last many months but I notice it more often now.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
About when did the choking events start?

Ginny raises a great point. Do you use a harness or collar?

StephanieC

All-Access Member
Registered
We use harness. Have used it since he came to us. So he isnt pulled on his neck at all. Its not related to being pulled on a collar.

thee cough bouts as Insee them have been periodic for many months. Dont recall exactly when they started. Has occurred more often recently

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
In my breed we have seen many cases of laryngeal paralysis. Sometimes this has been in entire litters of newborns, they tell me. Often we see it in aging adults, to more or less of a degree. Some are in great difficulty, others just noisy and have difficulty upon exertion. I firmly believe there is a link here to vaccine damage. Were it I, I would do everything to address any symptoms that pop up as if this is indeed vaccine-mediated. Can't hurt...

StephanieC

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for the feedback. We will keep monitoring. Since last week he hasnt had the issue at all. So will keep watching and explore next steps.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom