• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Annie blood in stool with potential bowel blockage - appetite decrease - and potential kidney disease

TinaS

Registered
Annie (15yr old mini American Eskimo) having major bowel troubles, turned to diarrhea with blood that had started out with stool with streaks of blood a few weeks ago and narrow poop, less volume than normal. Now she is losing appetite (still eating but more fussy), energy is down. Changed her food from regular fresh-cooked prepared to variety small meals since she started throwing up regular food few days ago. Blood streaks in stool started being noticed about 3 weeks ago, then 1+ week ago noticed that her stool was quite narrow and she started straining. Seemed to have a blockage so took her to emergency vet. In past 4 days her symptoms are increasing in severity. Took to emergency 4 days ago (Thursday) and came out with these findings (also attached their report):
  • Abnormal consistency and thickening of rectal wall
  • Elevated BUN: suspect gastrointestinal bleeding and/or secondary to renal dysfunction, less likely infectious (leptospirosis infection)
  • Isosthenuria (decreased urine concentration: suspect renal dysfunction
  • Proteinuria (protein in urine): suspect renal dysfunction or lower urinary tract infection
  • Hypertension (high blood pressure): suspect secondary to renal dysfunction
  • Coughing (chronic, intermittent, progressive) R/O - chronic lower airway disease, infectious, metastatic disease
  • Cardiomegaly (enlarged heart)
  • Hepatomegaly (enlarged liver)
  • Possible urethral mass
  • Historic liver enzyme elevations (mild)
Today (Monday) – limited foods of interest and more notable diarrhea (quite dark, likely blood). Energy low. Did not want scrambled eggs with turmeric but gladly ate chicken and raw egg yolk. Later in day, her appetite is starting to decrease more. Didn’t want goat cheese. Wasn’t too keen on chicken then eventually ate it. Poop mostly diarrhea now, quite dark with blood.

At dinner, I offered her cottage cheese, she took several bites/licks of that but then seemed disinterested. But she really liked our other dog’s canned food. Low energy but willing to go for slow walk.

BACKGROUND PROGRESSION......(reverse order/recent to later)

Sunday – not feeding her regular food. Gave chicken which she ate with fervor, and scrambled eggs. Turkey as well. Energy seemed okay although slightly less than usual. Went for a walk in morning, she was good, enjoyed herself. She wanted to go out again later in morning, she quite enjoyed herself in the woods with me, running around a little. Evening walk a little slower but not terribly unusual. Very thin poop continues, still with blood. Quite soft but still formed.

3 days ago – seems that her muzzle/nose is a little bit swollen. Had added pumpkin (per emerg vet suggestion) to her regular food. Seemed to start loosening up her stool. Then not keeping her regular food down, would throw up quite soon after eating. Noticing more blood in stool.

5 days ago – throwing up in the morning (before breakfast, maybe happening at night), mostly yellow foam but then noticed food as well. Her poop volume was really decreasing, thin, as if she has blockage. That is why I took her to emergency vet rather than waiting for regular vet exam since couldn’t get in.

8 days ago – kept noticing blood streaks in her poop and its form was somewhat thin, and she was straining a bit. Talked with Dr Kocen, he suggested going to see regular vet for exam to check out anal area for blockage.

<2 weeks ago - Notable coughing started (after I returned from a 9 day trip without her, but she was comfortably at home with my boyfriend). The coughing was the honking kind and occurred throughout day, not just morning, for several days. I had run out of Gracious Power for about 5 days and her coughing increase seemed to coincide with this. After a few days back on herb her coughing seems to be under control again (she still coughs, but no where near what it was). Still interested in playing with other dogs and barking at people.

3 weeks ago – started noticing blood streaks in her poop. Still very energetic and interested in playing with other dogs and barking at people. Thirst very high – 1.5-2 human-sized bowls of water a day.

Two months ago – Thirst had seem more than should be over past year but it started increasing quite notably.

6 months ago - Had been showing slight increase in thirst over past 6 months, Dr Kocen recommended increasing the dosage of Gracious Power and then I believe we added Er Chen Wan for this.

1 year ago - Had started a morning cough that seemed to be alleviated/minimized through Chinese Herbs (Dr Kocen), Gracious Power. Had noticed elevated liver enzymes and other markers indicating potential kidney issues then but not obvious.

Attachments

• Annie-Mar 4 Emergency visit.pdf
    123.1 KB · Views: 1

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, Tina! Annie has a lot going on so thanks for making your first post about her. ?

When was she last 100% normal?

I just read your referral report and can see why it would seem alarming!

However, the good news is that most parameters could be within normal for a 15 year young pup.

It would be helpful to see the full CBC/chemistry reports as well as any from the past few years. Doing so, will allow trending of the blood tests and a better analysis of all the parameters.

Also, if you choose to proceed diagnostically, you may want to see an internist (who will see more of her total picture).

Regardless, you can start tonight by adding a pinch of fiber to each meal and promoting as much outdoor therapeutic sniffing as possible.

TinaS

Registered
Wow, Tina! Annie has a lot going on so thanks for making your first post about her. ?

When was she last 100% normal?

I just read your referral report and can see why it would seem alarming!

However, the good news is that most parameters could be within normal for a 15 year young pup.

It would be helpful to see the full CBC/chemistry reports as well as any from the past few years. Doing so, will allow trending of the blood tests and a better analysis of all the parameters.

Also, if you choose to proceed diagnostically, you may want to see an internist (who will see more of her total picture).

Regardless, you can start tonight by adding a pinch of fiber to each meal and promoting as much outdoor therapeutic sniffing as possible.
Yes, it is a little overwhelming and not sure where to start. She was probably 100% normal about 1.5 years ago - before the morning coughs and thirst starting increasing. Thank you for taking the time to look through this. I am attaching several of her past labs!

Attachments

• Annie Labwork-May 2019.pdf
    41.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Annie Labwork 9-27-2020.pdf
    11.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Annie Labwork 9-10-2019.pdf
    367.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Annie Labwork 4-3-2020.pdf
    292.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Annie Labwork 3-4-2021.pdf
    31.9 KB · Views: 1

TinaS

Registered
Actually, I need to re-consider my earlier estimate. It's probably been about 4 years since she was 100% (no thirst issues, no coughing, no lameness). Her lameness issues started cropping up once a year (hasn't happened in a while) about 4 years ago.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Oh boy, I'm sorry to hear that she's been having challenges for 4 years.

The good news is that even at 15 her body has the tools it needs to heal!

Please add at least a 45 minute therapeutic sniff walk today prior to our chat at 4.This will give us a better idea of her healing abilities when we talk.

I will review her lab results later today.

TinaS

Registered
Hi Dr Jeff - thanks for our conversation yesterday. I am getting Annie outside as much as possible and doing some red light therapy on her. She continues to receive major doses of love from me. She ate a little bit of chicken last night but this morning, she is now throwing up water (after drinking a large volume of it). I am feeling desperate and not sure what else I can/should be doing to help her if she is now throwing up water? I am also trying to get an animal intuitive lined up (the one that Dr Christina recommended on another thread). She is still interested in going for a walk which makes me happy and I'm trying not to reveal to her how desperate I feel but it's very hard because of how much I love her.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Tina. Keep up the outside sniffing and exploration. Try to get her out to her very favorite places and seeing her very favorite people or dogs. Any play or interaction with a friend today would be wonderful.

Withhold food and water this am because of the vomiting and please take her to your local vet if vomiting continues despite no eating or drinking.

Can you find Phos 6c locally?

TinaS

Registered
Got it. Thank you. She had a little breakfast after a very long morning sniff walk along with water and she seems to be keeping it down fine now. I am now thinking that the vomiting seems to be mostly a morning thing, but was quite alarming to have her throwing up water. I will look for the Phos 6c. We have a store that carries Boiron so presumably they will have that but otherwise I can see its on Amazon unless you advise against obtaining that way?

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Get it where you can; not an issue. Soon you will probably want to get a 30c kit or some more single remedies ; look, for instance, at a2z homeopathy. There's a thread on the forum about where to obtain, just now...

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, I agree (again) with Ginny to just get Phos anywhere in case she needs a boost. In the meantime, focus on building her energy and cellular healing. She can get stronger using her own natural tools.

TinaS

Registered
Today is a little better day for Annie. She had at least 3 hours of walks yesterday and got to see two of her favorite pals, which really lit her up and her energy was through the roof for a few brief moments, which was huge. She also had a 15 minute dose of red light/infrared last night. I was so busy walking her (very slowly), at at her insistence to keep going, that I was unable to get her the Phos before the stores closed! Amazon likely going to be my source. She is also no longer vomitting since early yesterday morning, I am feeding her very minimal amounts of mostly fresh-cooked meat and some raw goat cheddar since that seems to be the only thing she is interested in. She is still pooping out very little which is primarily diarreah/blood but today it looked like she started having a tiny bit of solid matter (and I mean tiny, but I'm looking for any little signs of progress). So my biggest concern with her right now is the straining and diarreah with blood since I don't know what is causing this and if I'm doing the right thing by just watching and waiting for her body to resolve this?

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Again, not a homeopath or a vet. But I'm thinking of a bit of slippery elm powder, and some collagen powder, both in broth. Soothing and provides some nutrition. Or not, but she will tell you that. Do not let her walks get too long or compulsive; take rests and/or go home.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great news Tina that Annie is getting happier and happier! Keep doing what you're doing!

No worries about the persistence of her diarrhea/blood/any GI symptoms. BEAM usually improves a few days or weeks before physical symptoms. Patience and perseverance (with stimulating her body).

She probably doesnt need to walk far in order to get 3-4 hours of sniffing and checking her "pee mail".

Thanks Ginny, and yes to slippery elm and collagen if needed. They can both provide great support to her healing mechanisms.

TinaS

Registered
Thank you Ginny! Good advice on easing the walks. I was letting her drive but perhaps her determination to walk as far as possible is more than good for her at the moment. Her appetite is still off and on which has me on edge. She ate quite happily this morning but nothing throughout the day seems to interest her, even fresh cooked pork loin! I tried giving her grass-fed beef broth - which is a staple in my house, but she didn't even want that! :( I am hoping she is just pacing herself. I did red light therapy on her this morning and have a new PEMF mat for her to try (not my regular PEMF mat since she doesn't like the location where the equipment is set up and I can never get her to stay on it). Thank you again for your advice, really appreciated.

TinaS

Registered
Would acupuncture be something to consider at this point, knowing that the activity of going to the vet that performs it could cause some general stress? She is definitely stiff and uncomfortable with all that she is dealing with, and acupuncture has helped Annie before, but I've always at least been in the room with her. With current situation, no vets are letting us into the treatment rooms now which makes the choice more difficult. Any thoughts appreciated on weighing the cost/benefit in terms of her BEAM?

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Honestly, I think she has enough on her plate just now without acupuncture. Does she like massage? Could you just sit with her and gently move your hands around, stopping a moment in each location? I'm thinking you could work your way down her spine, just letting two fingers rest on either side, in between each vertebra, for a few seconds... Touch is magical, and you can provide a gentle message that her body will hear and appreciate, without overburdening her. She's doing quite well now, probably healing as fast as her body will allow, so why not allow all the benefit without any cost?:)

TinaS

Registered
Thanks Ginny. This is helpful advice. Regarding the Phos 6c, would you have a suggestion on how many pellets to give at one time (and how often)? And would it be fine to have it sit in her water or should I try giving it to her directly? Normally I would give directly but she really doesn't enjoy having me open her mouth so I feel bad about any "torture" for her right now. She threw up again early in the morning (yellow bile-like) but not a lot. She is still so tired and seems to be having trouble eating (something going on with her mouth/throat). I had an animal intuitive reach out to her yesterday as well confirming how tired and sluggish she feels and suggesting some type of sound/frequency healing (I have a crystal bowl but don't quite know how to use it yet). Feeling so desperate and anxious through this process right now.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Tina, the Phos 6c is 1 pellet added to 1 cup of water. She does not drink this water. It is the solution that you will be using for any future doses.

The only dose to give her to start is done by dipping the tip of a Q-tip in the cup. Touch the wet swab to her gums.

That's it! Save the cup for any possible future doses.

The cup of water is succusssed ("whacked" against the counter) 10x prior to each dose.

Yes, massage and acupressure by you at home would be wonderful. There's an acupressure for arthritis resource in the member area.

Also, please don't forget to ask your vets to send all of her exam notes (back to puppyhood or when you adopted her) and test results before our full evaluation next week.

Have a great pre-spring day full of therapeutic sniff walks.???:snowman:

TinaS

Registered
Got it, thanks so much for the clarification. I'm going to start feeding her bone broth through a syringe because she is really losing her appetite for anything at this point and it's quite worrying.
I will reach out to her former vets for prior records and send them over.

TinaS

Registered
And then how long is it okay for her not to be eating (as long as she is drinking water)? I know that people go on extended fasts (weeks) for serious diseases to help their body kick into healing/repair mode but I'm not sure if this is good for dogs. It also seems that her tongue is somewhat swollen (it looks bigger, and she has been smacking it in/out of her mouth in a strange way) which is perhaps making her less interested in eating since its uncomfortable? Is this a good reason to take her to a local vet?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom