• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Aggressive male dog, Lyssinium and the rabies vax

DianaS

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello! I have a 17 month old intact male GSD, who has been showing increased aggression toward my other neutered male dog.

I am thinking neutering could reduce the problem but he hasn’t received his rabies vaccine yet because I’ve been trying to detox him since he received his parvo distemper vax at 15 weeks. He has been raw fed since 8 weeks of age.

So should I give him Lyssinum before the rabies shot? I worry the shot could increase both his allergies and aggression. His allergies started after the parvo distemper shot at 15 weeks. I gave thuja for a limited time and have done several months of phases 1 and 2 detoxification to no avail.

Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Diana, and thanks for making your first post.

No to the Lyssin. Routinely giving a dynamic (energetic) remedy based on a specific shot can do more harm than good (and therefore is not usually advisable). Individualization is key!!

However yes, you're absolutely right that any stressor (like a vaccine) can worsen both allergies and aggression.

You might want to consider consulting a trained vet homeopath at least 6 weeks prior to the vaccine.

What does your pup eat?

Is he aggressive, or have other behavior issues (fears?), in any other way?

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Yes, to what Dr. Jeff said. Every animal reacts differently on a systemic level to each insult, depending on his individual constitution, background, health, etc. So the parvo/distemper MAY stir up a response, but not for sure, and there is no particular tie-in between these diseases and a bad attitude. "Detox" is an overrated concept here; any adjuvant or other junk in the shot itself is long gone. A homeopath, however, can help find any symptoms resulting from ill effects of any shots, plus whatever he was carrying with him from heredity or other systemic insults.

To a HUGE extent, though, reactivity is trainable, so find a good positive trainer who can show this guy his place and give him some security. Neutering will NOT help, IMO, and often makes aggression worse if there are other health issues or lack of direction.

Tell us more: diet, habits, interactions... Is he crate trained? Eats in a secure location? Gets personal attention? Only positive rewards? Trusts his people?

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Great answers, Ginny and Dr. Jeff.

Have you worked with an animal behavior person?
Have you considered a session with an animal intuitive/communicator? Often there is some unrealized fact that contributes to apparent aggression/fear/energy, etc.

Dr. Christina

DianaS

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello Everyone and thank you for getting back! Here’s more background on Asa: He’s the most active pup from his litter and gets lots of attention and exercise. He runs in the woods daily for at least one hour on our walks, he plays with our other dogs and cat, chases tennis balls in the yard several times a day, and plays a lot indoors chasing a laser toy. I have lots of time to give him since I retired a year ago. He could easily herd sheep all day, that’s the kind of energy he has.

At 15 weeks he had the parvo/distemper vax and started having daily itching. He was on thuja for the recommended period. He was raw fed from 8 weeks and eats 2 lbs of raw beef with 10% offal and 10% ground bone. He also gets raw green tripe, beef heart, liver, kidney frequently. 1 raw egg daily, plus barley powder,
acerola, ashwaganda, astragalus, dandelion leaf, burdock, kelp, spirulina, and alfalfa powder,
all for a whole food source of nutrients. He gets
organic fruits and vegetables like red cabbage, baby carrots, apple, berries of all kind and eats everything heartily. He also gets wild salmon oil and astaxanthin. For additional detox he had chlorella, glycine, schisandra, SOD, phosphatidyl choline, NAC and alpha lipoic acid, all for months. Now in fall his itching has gotten a bit worse at times causing him to whimper at the torment. Oh, he also got and still gets curcumin, taurine, and milk thistle. All the supplements are given individually in adult doses. I think he weighs about 90 pounds and isn’t overweight at all. His coat is beautiful and lush.

The aggression has only been aimed at my other male neutered dog and started recently. No attacks but some aggressive barking and growling. He has no aggression whatsoever toward people but is very friendly and likes meeting new people.

I read neutering can reduce aggression toward other male dogs in the pack by 61%. Asa’s aggression toward Popo isn’t constant but seems to come and go. He’ll growl then lick Popo’s face!

Asa hasn’t gotten the rabies vaccine yet which I really hesitate on because I’ve seen what it did to 3 other German Shepherds of mine. (My last one got cancer AND DM within a few weeks of the vax when at 11 he was still in the prime of excellent vibrant health otherwise!) Both ended his life quickly. Sadly I was forced to give him the rabies vaccine for out of state air travel to bush Alaska where I worked at the time. My vet refused a vax waiver even though my dog again was finally recovering from years of allergies, most likely caused by the rabies vaccine. So I am very familiar with how the rabies vaccine can overwhelm the immune system of a dog, in particular German Shepherds!

To control any aggressive urges, I e-collar Asa which immediately curbs any growling or barking at Popo which could escalate into a bite. Asa also wears an e collar in the woods and has trained him without cruelty to not chase deer and elk and to also check in frequently.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much for your awe-some detailed reply Donna!

Let's definitely continue this great discussion but you might also find @Dr. Sara's wonderful webinar about the hormonal (and other) stress of neutering.

DianaS

All-Access Member
Registered
I understand an advantage to neutering is it removes the possibility of testicular cancer which I read is not uncommon. While I worry about how neutering would affect many aspects of Asa’s health, I also have a responsibility for Popo’s well being, who demands closeness and affection. Asa more and more would like to prevent Popo’s closeness to me. Popo also was poisoned over a year ago and has acute kidney failure which is exacerbated by stress. BTW Popo is doing great on Modified Citrus Pectin which has greatly restored his kidney function, along with his phosphorus reduced raw diet. ? I naturally prefer to not put Asa through a stressful and needless surgery. Since his problem is most likely testosterone related, is it likely his hormones will level out soon? I will definitely view the recommended webinar in any case.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes Diana his hormones should level out soon.

Unfortunately neutering may not solve the problem but then you're back to the vaccine question...

BTW-Please get back to us after you see the awe-some info in @Dr. Sara 's course.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom